ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 52 of 1203
« First < 2424849505152 53545556621021525521052 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
Mennonite 02:20 PM 12-12-2015
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
Not from Smithfield, VA therefore not the legendary nor the best country ham you can get.

Wasn't Smithfield (the company not the town) recently bought by the Chinese? I love their bacon.
[Reply]
SAUTO 02:25 PM 12-12-2015
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Best part about living in smaller Mexico during holiday....homemade Tamales from every street corner. Lady my wife works with makes the best spicy pork tamales ever.
I've got an old guy who brings me spicy pork burritos, and homemade tamales to the shop about once a month.
Stopped by yesterday and said he's bringing 5 dozen burritos Wednesday morning.

Needless to say he gets a pretty smoking deal on anything he needs done.

He has a sister that lives in Chicago and she brings us gardinaire, sp?, and Italian beef everytime she visits.

Awesome people
[Reply]
KCUnited 02:31 PM 12-12-2015
I just like, not love tamales. Guys up here walk through late night, kitchen-less bars selling tamales out of coolers. I'll admit to liking the Spanish genocide version that includes a green olive the most, just because they're super savory.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 05:48 PM 12-12-2015
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
Wasn't Smithfield (the company not the town) recently bought by the Chinese? I love their bacon.
Yes, the company which is named after the town was bought by a Chinese company. Smithfield the company doesn't make Smithfield ham, which is a style of country ham made in Smithfield Virginia since the late 1790s at least.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 06:36 PM 12-12-2015
Vegetarian Night! Veggies only —all day.

I know you folks are more into meat and Mexican than I.

Stuffed Spaghetti Sqaush with cooked tomatoes and eggplant, which I buried unfortunately....should have had a few pop through the grated cheese. Italian herbs, garlic, onion, topped with grated parm and fresh basil. It was good and very filling too.
Attached: SpaghettiSquashRS2.png (435.9 KB) 
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:23 PM 12-12-2015
Find a Mexican. Pay them $10. Come home with a dozen tamales.

Profit.
They're tough to find here. Now you've got me hankerin.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:33 PM 12-12-2015
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
They're tough to find here. Now you've got me hankerin.
No migrant workers going to Kansas for the summer work?
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:57 PM 12-12-2015
No migrant workers going to Kansas for the summer work?
Eh not really. Most of the illegals work in packing plants or feedlots, which are fulltimers. Not much for migrants here.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 08:17 PM 12-12-2015
I recommend Alton Brown's pressure cooker chili recipe. Tasty stuff.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 08:18 PM 12-12-2015
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
Perhaps. I've had them once—never again. It was in the best Mexican restaurant we have here and I like their food. But tamales....Bleh! Meh!
There's many different kinds of tamales. I'm partial to using platano leaves and not corn husks....

You should definitely keep trying.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 08:31 PM 12-12-2015
Yeah, that dough I wasn't crazy about.

Did you by chance try them in New England?
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 08:39 PM 12-12-2015
Yeah, that dough I wasn't crazy about.
The most common mistakes are not enough moisture in the dough, not enough flavor in the masa, and letting the dough dry out.

I bet you could make AWESOME tamales. You just need them fresh and moist and flavirful. Nothing worse than bland dry masa.

I'm a big fan of mixing some if the salsa into the masa from whatever meat you fill with. Lots of mantecs and chicken broth.

Platano leaf helps keep moist. No corn husk
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:18 PM 12-12-2015
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Did you by chance try them in New England?
LOL!

No here, since I said it was in 2009. Mexican food I had up there was better than most I've had here though. This was at the one Mexican place I do like and has the best reviews.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:20 PM 12-12-2015
Originally Posted by Pawnmower:
There's many different kinds of tamales. I'm partial to using platano leaves and not corn husks....

You should definitely keep trying.
Well, then I'm glad I said they sucked originally. Now that I here others speak differently. I hate grits once too—but now, if made right, I love them.
That took a trip to Thomasville to discover the stone ground version in a restaurant. So things can change.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 09:22 PM 12-12-2015
Well, then I'm glad I said they sucked originally. Now that I here others speak differently. I hate grits once too—but now, if made right, I love them.
That took a trip to Thomasville to discover the stone ground version in a restaurant. So things can change.

Same way for me. I've hated grits my whole life. Until I discovered a chef that treated the right. Now I make them at home semi-regularly.
[Reply]
Page 52 of 1203
« First < 2424849505152 53545556621021525521052 > Last »
Up