Cedric Tillman Tenny
Jonathan Mingo
Quentin Johnston TCU
Jaxon Smith-Njigba Ohio State
Kayshon Boutte LSU
Jordan Addison USC
[Reply]
kccrow 12:27 PM 04-21-2023
Steve Smith is all about the small WRs. I'm not really into much of what he has for takes to be honest. Great player himself, not as much a great evaluator to me.

Flowers is very near his ceiling right now and so is Downs. I'm not all-in. I like them. I don't 1st round like them.

What's most funny to me is people talk about elevation, body catches, and dropped balls with Johnston then they write it off for Flowers. Or Hyatt runs by guys and it's "blown coverage" but when Flowers does it there's no complaints. Fuck all that.

Seeing through flaws with one prospect to value him in your head does not make them better than another prospect you choose to see the flaws in. I said it the other day, overanalyzing one prospect and focusing on nothing but flaws is an issue. Better be prepared to do the same for the ones you initially liked. There's a lot of flaws with Flowers too gents. You can have your preferences but I'm not listening to the equivalent flaws.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:31 PM 04-21-2023
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Steve Smith is all about the small WRs. I'm not really into much of what he has for takes to be honest. Great player himself, not as much a great evaluator to me.

Flowers is very near his ceiling right now and so is Downs. I'm not all-in. I like them. I don't 1st round like them.

What's most funny to me is people talk about elevation, body catches, and dropped balls with Johnston then they write it off for Flowers. Or Hyatt runs by guys and it's "blown coverage" but when Flowers does it there's no complaints. Fuck all that.

Seeing through flaws with one prospect to value him in your head does not make them better than another prospect you choose to see the flaws in. I said it the other day, overanalyzing one prospect and focusing on nothing but flaws is an issue. Better be prepared to do the same for the ones you initially liked. There's a lot of flaws with Flowers too gents. You can have your preferences but I'm not listening to the equivalent flaws.
Ok now to be fair, Flowers is working on a terrible team with nothing around him. The other team knows he's getting the ball as he's the only guy worth a damn.

Hyatt is being schemed open and he's working off of Cedric Tillman for space. Not to mention the other NFL players on his offense that Zay doesn't have.
[Reply]
kccrow 12:37 PM 04-21-2023
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Ok now to be fair, Flowers is working on a terrible team with nothing around him. The other team knows he's getting the ball as he's the only guy worth a damn.

Hyatt is being schemed open and he's working off of Cedric Tillman for space. Not to mention the other NFL players on his offense that Zay doesn't have.
Hyatt is being schemed open when he blows guys doors off? Mmk. Yeah, I don't subscribe to that theory.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:41 PM 04-21-2023
Hyatt is being schemed open when he blows guys doors off? Mmk. Yeah, I don't subscribe to that theory.
How many times does Hyatt have a contested release? He's doing a bunch of motion and stack releases where he's literally running free.
[Reply]
kccrow 12:54 PM 04-21-2023
Mecca got me thinking about what you guys interpret as "schemed open" because "schemed open" has a very specific meaning for me. There are "schemed touches," like bubble screens and slip screens for wideouts and little tricks like that jet smoke fake and out to the flats (whatever you want to term the actual route) that KC beat PHI with in the SB.

But guys aren't schemed open when they flat-out beat a guy on a crosser, over, post, corner, go, etc, etc. All WRs get "schemed touches," and especially those with either alot of speed or alot of agility to get those YAC.

When I'm watching a guy like Hyatt, he beat guys an awful lot on a set of about 5 basic routes and that wasn't scheme. And let's not forget that Tillman only played in 6 games this year and Hyatt continued to torch teams after he was gone for the year. Hyatt is a good WR on his own accord. You guys are searching for reasons to dislike guys rather than searching for reasons to like them. Does Hyatt have anything I really hate? No, not really. He does alot I really like though.
[Reply]
kccrow 12:57 PM 04-21-2023
Originally Posted by Mecca:
How many times does Hyatt have a contested release? He's doing a bunch of motion and stack releases where he's literally running free.
Okay, and Flowers ran a lot of motion and operated from the Z. He got the same releases. What difference does it make?

At the end of the day what does Andy Reid do?

Do they not both fit this offense?

What do you think differentiates the two in Reid's offense?
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:33 PM 04-21-2023

This is just wrong.

We have multiple examples of Zay Flowers elevating and extending. It's not really about elevating specifically, but rather attacking the ball instead of being passive and letting it fall into you.

Johnston is a serial offender in letting the ball fall into you.

Hell, the very first play in Steve Smith's breakdown shows Flowers, in full sprint, elevating and plucking the ball OVER the DB's head. Extending with his arms, catching with his hands, in full spring, over a DB that's bigger than him. That's ball skills, my dude.

Meanwhile, im watching this clip of Johnston, scooping in a a jump ball with his arms/body on a ball that's just a half inch over the DB's head. And he KEEPS doing it. That's lack of ability to play the ball.

And Hyatt running by a guy? My goodness don't even get me started. His career game against 'Bama is basically just him running free with practically no one covering him.

Show me some lateral agility. Show me an NFL route. Show me a difficult catch to where he has to actually adjust. Who gives a shit about running past guys.

Zay Flowers can run past guys too, except he actually HAS shown us ball skills and elite agility.

As of route now, Hyatt is nothing more than a hyped Mecole Hardman.
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:37 PM 04-21-2023
Okay, and Flowers ran a lot of motion and operated from the Z. He got the same releases. What difference does it make?
Because unlike Hyatt, Flowers has actually shown the ability to separate using elite stop/go, breaking a DB down on a route.

Sure, maybe Hyatt can do it. But you ain't gonna find it in his tape.

And to be clear, i don't go into this process with favorites. There's no bias here. When i was asked to look at Hyatt vs Flowers, i had no clue who either even were. I watched them both with no pre conceived notions. One jumped off the screen....the other...while i enjoyed the watch, seriously lacked a full bodied resume.

It honestly feels like you're just clinging on to early draft process evals. Once people started REALLY looking, a lot of pros have been sliding both Hyatt and Johnston down the board. And IMO, i totally get why.

And no, Steve Smith is not just into small receivers. That's silly.
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:38 PM 04-21-2023
And i'd add, i don't count blown coverages for ANYONE. I don't play favorites until favorites emerge. And i let them emerge on their own merrit. I don't check stats, and i don't even watch/listen to other evals until i make my own so as to not be influenced. Blown coverages have nothing to do with my eval on Flowers.
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:47 PM 04-21-2023
And one last thing, hahaha.

I am NOT a Hyatt hater. I know it can be construed like that because im always saying things like, "I prefer Trey Palmer" etc. But i'd have no issue with the Chiefs taking Hyatt.

I just happen to think he has more questions about his game than answers, questions that other players in this draft HAVE answered. I just think he's over hyped. He's squarely a day 2 guy for me.
[Reply]
kccrow 03:43 PM 04-21-2023
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
This is just wrong.

We have multiple examples of Zay Flowers elevating and extending. It's not really about elevating specifically, but rather attacking the ball instead of being passive and letting it fall into you.

Johnston is a serial offender in letting the ball fall into you.

Hell, the very first play in Steve Smith's breakdown shows Flowers, in full sprint, elevating and plucking the ball OVER the DB's head. Extending with his arms, catching with his hands, in full spring, over a DB that's bigger than him. That's ball skills, my dude.

Meanwhile, im watching this clip of Johnston, scooping in a a jump ball with his arms/body on a ball that's just a half inch over the DB's head. And he KEEPS doing it. That's lack of ability to play the ball.

And Hyatt running by a guy? My goodness don't even get me started. His career game against 'Bama is basically just him running free with practically no one covering him.

Show me some lateral agility. Show me an NFL route. Show me a difficult catch to where he has to actually adjust. Who gives a shit about running past guys.

Zay Flowers can run past guys too, except he actually HAS shown us ball skills and elite agility.

As of route now, Hyatt is nothing more than a hyped Mecole Hardman.
There are about two whole instances on his 22 tape where he extends even a little for any ball. Don't give me hyperbole. Johnston has an equivalent amount. It's either what you've been exposed to or what you're choosing not to see, I can't really figure it out.

Zay Flowers had one of the highest drop rates in college football and you want me to talk about ball skills? Jesus man, sure lets talk about his 11% drop rate.

I do love Flowers' ability to uncover, he's very experienced and polished as a route runner. But that's the thing, he IS polished. He's not going to get a whole lot better at it. Do you know who is going to get better at it? Hyatt and Johnston.

Do you know why I care about a guy blowing by other dudes? Because that shows me he's not just stopwatch fast, he's actually football-fast. Hyatt made other guys look fucking silly out there at times. I can see with my eyes that when the lights come on and Hyatt is lined up to beat someone he's running ALOT faster than Zay Flowers. The same goes for a guy like my boy Tyler Scott. They're just different. And that's no knock on Flowers, honestly, it's just that while Flowers has really nice speed he doesn't get into that next gear that Hyatt and Scott have. That's why I don't go just by the stopwatch.

By the way, Scott, now that's a guy that goes up and high-points a football for a smaller WR.

And you know what? At the end of the day I wouldn't be disappointed with any of them being a Chief. I'd welcome Flowers as much as Hyatt as much as Johnston. If it isn't any of them? I won't rightly care there either. There's a bunch of WRs I like in this class. I like Scott, Tillman, Rice, Mims, Mingo, Perry, Hutchinson, and Reed earlier. There's plenty of later day 3 guys I wouldn't mind like Tucker, Stokes, Gipson, Jarrett, Bell, Iosivas, and Landers. All of them for different reasons or roles. Sure, my absolute favorites are Hyatt, Perry, Scott, and Rice but that's a matter of preference.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 06:16 AM 04-22-2023
Interjecting to add my .02c...

-I'd be happy with Hyatt, Johnston, Flowers, Downs...whoever Veach likes

-Flowers is great, but looks a bit similar to Toney IMO

-Pretty sure the knock on Hyatt being "schemed open" relates to him being stacked behind
other WRs when facing press coverage in order to create a free release

-Hyatt has the fastest game tape and you can't coach speed
[Reply]
Coogs 08:49 AM 04-22-2023
I saw an interesting Quentin Johnston stat from last season yesterday. He had 1069 yards in 14 games. 688 of those yards came in 4 games. And 381 in the other 10. Is that a cause for concern? Or no big thing?
[Reply]
kccrow 11:56 AM 04-22-2023
Originally Posted by Coogs:
I saw an interesting Quentin Johnston stat from last season yesterday. He had 1069 yards in 14 games. 688 of those yards came in 4 games. And 381 in the other 10. Is that a cause for concern? Or no big thing?
Sure it is. His first 4 games weren't very good statistically.

You have to excuse the Texas Tech game though since he only played a few snaps and left the game for good.
[Reply]
kccrow 03:03 PM 04-22-2023
Serious question... Why is AT Perry not as much in the discussion in round 1 as Quentin Johnston, if not more so?

I like Johnston but at the end of the day, Perry might end up being the better player.
[Reply]
Page 32 of 34
« First < 222829303132 3334 >
Up