ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Men's Watch Aficionados
Megatron96 11:09 PM 11-28-2022
Originally Posted by Holladay:
Ahh. I was a Captain in the Army, Armor (tanks). I was thinking on a Captains salary, no way afford an Omega Speedmaster watch. That would be 2 months salary!

But to each owns opinions. It is nice that you have a passion for something.
that's awesome. Thank you for your service, btw.

Problem is I have way too many passions. I'm a hardcore fly fisherman addict and fly tyer, among another things. Last year I spent $7,000 on fly-tying materials and tools alone. This year I dialed that way back to about $200 so I could spend more on something else.

It's like a salary cap for my obsessions.:-):-)
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 10:54 PM 11-28-2022
I have a nice Fossil, its classy looking, great for a daily but looks good for dress as well. Had it about 20 years now. Can't complain about it.
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:00 PM 11-28-2022
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
I have a nice Fossil, its classy looking, great for a daily but looks good for dress as well. Had it about 20 years now. Can't complain about it.
I have a Fossil. Must be close to 20 years old now. Probably 18 or 19 years. I like Fossils. They can be dressy enough or casual enough. And they're affordable, so if you want you can have more than one.

Right now I'm trying to talk myself out of starting on a pocket watch kick. I don't need yet another collection hobby, and I'd look ridiculous walking around with a pocket watch vest.
[Reply]
Holladay 10:56 PM 11-28-2022
Guess I am a snob:-)

Originally Posted by :
Is wearing a watch classy?
1: They're Stylish

Watches, throughout their history, have always been associated with class and sophistication. Whether worn peeking out under a suit and shirtsleeves or proudly displayed with athletic or casual wear, a watch makes a statement on the values of the wearer.

[Reply]
Holladay 11:01 PM 11-28-2022
Originally Posted by :
have a nice Fossil, its classy looking, great for a daily but looks good for dress as well. Had it about 20 years now. Can't complain about it.
That looks cool. I had to google it, because I have no clue.

I guess it goes to illustrate that a watch is what you want to wear, no matter the brand or cost. Wear what makes you happy. But it does make a statement about you.
[Reply]
Holladay 11:03 PM 11-28-2022
Originally Posted by :
I'd look ridiculous walking around with a pocket watch vest.
Believe it or not, did that in HS. My Grandfather gave me his pocket watch. That little pocket on Levi jeans, is for that purpose.

BTW, yeah you would...
[Reply]
Holladay 11:18 PM 11-28-2022
At least you have them.
[Reply]
crazycoffey 12:22 AM 11-29-2022
Haven’t worn a watch for most my life. Just “splurged” on a bulova looks good, feels good. Kinda made me miss wearing a watch.

Get something to make you happy. It’s an indulgence but doesn’t have to be.
[Reply]
modocsot 07:35 AM 11-29-2022
Just some friendly advice from a someone that's been collecting for over 20 years:

1) Don't get into watch collecting. :-) Once you go down that rabbit hole, it becomes an addiction. I have nearly 50 watches, and admittedly only frequently cycle through five or six. I'm wearing my 007 No Time to Die 300M while typing this. https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...21090422001001

2) If you do go down that rabbit hole, I recommend avoiding fashion watches, and stick with brands with horological significance. You can find excellent models from Seiko, Casio G-Shocks, and Orient; even entry level luxury brands like Tissot.

3) Educate yourself by watching youtubers like Teddy Baldassarre, The Urban Gentry and Adrian Barker BEFORE you drop some coin on watches. If you're going to stay in the budget friendly space, check out Just One More Watch.

4) Have fun with it, and wear what you enjoy!
[Reply]
tredadda 08:37 AM 11-29-2022
Originally Posted by modocsot:
Just some friendly advice from a someone that's been collecting for over 20 years:

1) Don't get into watch collecting. :-) Once you go down that rabbit hole, it becomes an addiction. I have nearly 50 watches, and admittedly only frequently cycle through five or six. I'm wearing my 007 No Time to Die 300M while typing this. https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...21090422001001

2) If you do go down that rabbit hole, I recommend avoiding fashion watches, and stick with brands with horological significance. You can find excellent models from Seiko, Casio G-Shocks, and Orient; even entry level luxury brands like Tissot.

3) Educate yourself by watching youtubers like Teddy Baldassarre, The Urban Gentry and Adrian Barker BEFORE you drop some coin on watches. If you're going to stay in the budget friendly space, check out Just One More Watch.

4) Have fun with it, and wear what you enjoy!
That’s pretty awesome advice actually. Thank you for sharing those tips.
[Reply]
Holladay 08:55 AM 11-29-2022
Good points
[Reply]
OKchiefs 10:32 AM 11-29-2022
Another thing to consider would be microbrands. They’re a bit out of your stated price range but a local brand of interest is Raven Watches out of Stilwell KS. Many microbrands offer relatively affordable watches with Japanese automatic movements from Miyota or Seiko. A very affordable brand of note IMO is Deep Blue. They make extremely affordable dive watches with Japanese and Swiss automatic movements (Japanese are obviously cheaper) at great prices.
[Reply]
Holladay 12:25 PM 11-29-2022
You guys are making want to buy another watch before I even receive the ones I order.

You guys suck :-)
[Reply]
modocsot 01:23 PM 11-29-2022
One more piece of advice, which will definitely help your wallet:

If you find yourself itching for a new watch because you've grown tired of what you have, try adding a new strap to the watches you currently have to give it a new look. Straps are affordable and come in a wide variety of styles and types from leather to fabric nato.

My tastes have evolved over the years, where I mostly prefer a watch on a strap instead of its bracelet. I swap straps often. My Explorer 214270 is killing it on a brown aged leather nato strap I got from Amazon for under $25. :-)
[Reply]
Holladay 02:51 PM 11-29-2022
Never thought of that...like giving your car a paint job. or your wife dying her hair:-)
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Up