ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 330 of 333
« First < 230280320326327328329330 331332333 >
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2023 Royals Season Repository Thread***
ChiefsCountry 12:02 AM 01-01-2023

2023 – A new beginning for the Royals. Matt Quatraro era begins. A year to see which of our young players will make up the core going forward. Can Bobby Witt Jr become a superstar SS or will go to the hot corner? Will Brady Singer take the next step forward? Will Salvy be Salvy? Will Big Vin or Pratto take first base? Will they find a position for MJ? Who else emerges from the youth movement? Not to mention the development of the new downtown stadium.

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Jordan Lyles, RHP
Ryan Yarbrough, LHP
Josh Taylor, LHP
Aroldis Chapman, LHP

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Gavin Cross, OF
2. Cayden Wallace, 3B
3. Drew Waters, OF
4. Ben Kudrna, RHP
5. Frank Mozzicato, LHP
6. Maikel Garcia, SS
7. Tyler Gentry, OF
8. Nick Loftin, OF/3B
9. Angel Zerpa, LHP
10. Carter Jensen, C
[Reply]
Mecca 12:25 PM 12-15-2023
Rany said it right, Renfroe is a 32 year old low OBP Corner OF, so Jose Guillen...but it's likely a move they made to trade Melendez.

That's one of the biggest Dayton Moore failures, if they knew Melendez couldn't catch they should have dealt him before he ever made it to the MLB.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:34 PM 12-15-2023
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Rany said it right, Renfroe is a 32 year old low OBP Corner OF, so Jose Guillen...but it's likely a move they made to trade Melendez.

That's one of the biggest Dayton Moore failures, if they knew Melendez couldn't catch they should have dealt him before he ever made it to the MLB.
Problem with Melendez is that the guy can't hit.

And I cannot figure out why. There are so many things in his profile that scream excellent hitter. I mean he barrels the shit out of the ball, well above average on hard contact, doesn't K horrifying amount (by today's standards), walks a healthy enough amount. The ball jumps off his bat and when he hits them they stay hit.

Hunder the hood he looks like a good hitter. So how come he don't hit good?

Man, the hell if I know. Because I see a guy that should be a hitter and a damn good one. A 4th place, middle of the order, run producer with good wheels. Everything in his offensive profile says you should be able to stick him in LF and have a potential All Star even as an outfielder.

He didn't HAVE to catch to be extremely valuable. But he damn sure had to hit. And he hasn't.

And again, I really don't understand why. Honestly, if the Royals were looking to sell low on him, I'd take them up on it. I think that's the kind of talent the players should be looking to acquire and develop rather than move on from. Teams in Kansas City's position don't need to be moving players who might be very good for players who aren't going to be but are more likely to not be bad. Trading a risky B player for a guaranteed C player doesn't get you guys anywhere.

You need to be trading as many guaranteed C players as you can for those risky B players and hope you hit on half of them. And in the end, maybe Melendez won't be in that half, but if he's not, the fringe prospect you could've gotten for him isn't going to be someone that changes you from an also-ran into a contender.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 01:03 PM 12-15-2023
Wow. Thats gotta be one of the best starting rotations they've had in a long, long time, right?

Ragans, Lugo, and Wacha should be decent regardless, and if Singer can return to form we should be able to find a serviceable 5 in house
[Reply]
Chiefspants 01:27 PM 12-15-2023
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:

The dream offseason that gets me back is...

A. BWJr. Extension
B. #3 Starter
C. Greinke reunion

What I expect is...

A. Decent lotto ticket SP
One down. Two to go.

Resign Greinke to give Kansas City a historic moment that fans will remember forever. Extend BWJ to show you’re willing to make every bit the investment you’re asking fans to make in the new stadium.
[Reply]
dlphg9 01:35 PM 12-15-2023
Really glad these guys weren't talking out there asses and show a commitment to winning or at least trying. They did exactly what they said they would when Picollo took over.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 01:40 PM 12-15-2023
Originally Posted by Mecca:

Renfroe isn't a needle-mover. But he's not Jose Guillen when it comes to OBP and walks. Over the past 5 years, Renfroe has established pretty well as a league-average walk rate guy (just a shade over 8%). Guillen never had a single season above 8, let alone a 5-year stretch.

Gives them some flexibility to pursue a trade and a league-average floor bat at a decent price. No issue with that one from this seat.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:45 PM 12-15-2023
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Renfroe isn't a needle-mover. But he's not Jose Guillen when it comes to OBP and walks. Over the past 5 years, Renfroe has established pretty well as a league-average walk rate guy (just a shade over 8%). Guillen never had a single season above 8, let alone a 5-year stretch.

Gives them some flexibility to pursue a trade and a league-average floor bat at a decent price. No issue with that one from this seat.
I honestly wonder if they are having discussions with the Marlins...they're open to trading young high end pitching.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 01:47 PM 12-15-2023
Another bullpen arm would be nice to have
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 01:54 PM 12-15-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Wacha's fun.

When he gets in a rhythm and gets batters into the rocking chair with that fastball/changeup combo, he can really make guys look silly. The curve never developed as much as I thought it should for a guy with an overhand delivery and his height - I really felt like he should develop one oft he better waterfall curves in the game and it just didn't happen for him. His is passable but not a hammer. I think it's because both the change and the curve require so much feel to throw well that it's hard to get two feel pitches really working at the same time.

And ultimately he isn't working at 95 anymore since his stress fracture thing way back when so the curve isn't as useful as it would've been when he could work 95-97 up in the zone then tunnel that curveball off it. Now he uses the fastball more to set up other stuff and combined with the cutter/change, it all works pretty well together.

Solid guy. He and Lugo should be nice adds for you but obviously durability is going to be a real worry there.
DJ,

Cards and Royals both made similar starting acquisitions pitching wise and money which would you rather have -

Lugo and Wacha

or

Lynn and Gibson
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:35 PM 12-15-2023
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
DJ,

Cards and Royals both made similar starting acquisitions pitching wise and money which would you rather have -

Lugo and Wacha

or

Lynn and Gibson
Honestly? Lynn and Gibson. 2 years and $24 million combined.

Royals have 5 years and $77 million into Lugo and Wacha.

And nary a one of them are going to make a bit of difference when it comes to winning anything meaningful. The Cardinals will maintain some payroll flexibility going forward while using Lynn and Gibson as bullet catchers this year.

Whatever. Meat for the grinder. Lynn and Gibson are more likely to pitch than Lugo and Wacha. Lugo and Wacha are more likely to pitch well than Lynn and Gibson. But in the end I wouldn't be eager to give any of them the ball in October.

Your mediocrity is better. Mine is cheaper and shorter term. I'm eating bread and water for a week. You're eating bread and water with some butter on it for 2 weeks. I'll take the former over the latter and hope the next weeks' meal is at least a hamburger. And ideally with a new chef in the kitchen.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 05:01 PM 12-15-2023
And one roster space has been cleared, two more to go...

The Royals are trading outfielder Edward Olivares to the Pirates, source tells https://t.co/Ivs9s9Fg0t. Opens the 40-man spot for Stratton.

— Anne Rogers (@anne__rogers) December 15, 2023

[Reply]
Valiant 06:13 PM 12-15-2023
Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk:
wHaT The HeLL is HapPEninG@?!
Royals have to spend big and make a splash or Jackson and clay county ain't giving them shit.
[Reply]
Pablo 06:18 PM 12-15-2023
I'm adjusting my give-a-shit meter from 0 to 1!

Moving in the right direction
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 06:24 PM 12-15-2023
Sounds like the Royals are pretty much done with roster additions unless something falls in their lap.

When asked by @jaylonthompson on whether the #Royals are done adding, GM J.J. Picollo said this tonight on the Zoom announcing Chris Stratton's contract.

(Keep in mind the team hasn't made official the Wacha or Renfroe deals, i.e. 'some things to be finalized'). pic.twitter.com/nKJK1As1TC

— Anne Rogers (@anne__rogers) December 15, 2023

[Reply]
poolboy 06:39 PM 12-15-2023
Renfroe has some bop to his bat...I think thats why they thought they needed him
We aint winning this year but if your trying to sell a stadium, yeah, I see it
[Reply]
Page 330 of 333
« First < 230280320326327328329330 331332333 >
Up