ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 9
« First < 23456 789 >
Nzoner's Game Room>2021: FA WR's: Corey Davis or Curtis Samuel?
Dante84 05:37 PM 02-22-2021
Nate Taylor (from The Athletic) seems to think Veach might be interested in one of these 2 in Free Agency.

So, after factoring in price tag, age and talent, who would you rather have?

Corey Davis, WR, Titans (age 26)
Spoiler!

Curtis Samuel, WR, Panthers (age 24)
Spoiler!

Nate also mentions these other players:
Spoiler!

[Reply]
BossChief 10:46 AM 02-23-2021
If you can sign Williams to a 3 year deal with a low first year cap hit, it’s a move you need to make. Even if you don’t plan on cutting/trading Fisher. Williams has said he’s ok playing either side of the OL, so you could move him or Fisher to the right when Fisheris healthy.

Williams
Allegreti
Draft pick
Niang
Fisher

Sign me up.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:48 AM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by BossChief:
That’s most likely true (I’ve said as much) but there are a few things playing against him.

He needs a new deal as 2021 is the last year under contract
He just turned 30
He’s not a great OT, above average.
He’s going to be rehabbing a torn Achilles in his last year under contract.

It’s not really cut and dry they will commit to him, but I agree it’s likely they extend him to lower the cap hit...I’ve advocated for that numerous times.

I just see moving on from Fisher to Silverback as a realistic option for a team wanting to get back to the Super Bowl.

If Mahomes is almost undefeated with Fisher at LT, he would be unstoppable with Silverback as his LT.
They just started Mike Remmers and Devon Wylie in the Super Bowl.

Trent Williams is not coming here.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:54 AM 02-23-2021
I don't know that I'd say Williams is probable or even very possible ... and it's not even about cap space. It's about their long-term plans for Eric Fisher and whether they're comfortable committing at least 3 years at big money to a LT and IF KC is where he wants to be.

From a cap space perspective, I played around with it and KC can get him 3 years at the projected market value of $18M/year fairly easily:

5 years, $90M, $20M signing bonus

Year 1: $6M base and bonuses ($11M cap)
Year 2: $11M base and bonuses ($17M cap)
Year 3: $17M base and bonuses ($22M cap)
Year 4: planned June 1 cut ($5M cap)
Year 5: ($5M cap)

You'd have $36M stacked on the last two years in this scenario in base and roster bonuses, but in all likelihood he'd be cut.

It's do-able. It's the only move in FA that, to me, is worth committing a huge centerpiece contract to.

And what to do with Fisher? If he's extended to spread out the cap hit from this year (what I think is most likely) are you then committing to him back at RT or trying him at G (he's too tall for that, IMO?)

So much uncertainty with Fisher and Schwartz. Hopefully the team has more insight.

And the people who want to sign Williams and still take a T in round 1 are crazy. That becomes a lock for DE or WR to me, if they were to add Williams.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:57 AM 02-23-2021
Eric Fisher isn't a RT, IMO. And there's no way he's a guard.

Yes, they have to have a contingency plan due to the Achilles but I just don't see this team outright replacing him. That's not Andy Reid. Fisher was his very first pick when he got here.

There's zero chance they do that to one of their best players (yes, he is) and fuck with the team chemistry and everything that comes with it.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 11:05 AM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I don't know that I'd say Williams is probable or even very possible ... and it's not even about cap space. It's about their long-term plans for Eric Fisher and whether they're comfortable committing at least 3 years at big money to a LT and IF KC is where he wants to be.

From a cap space perspective, I played around with it and KC can get him 3 years at the projected market value of $18M/year fairly easily:

5 years, $90M, $20M signing bonus

Year 1: $6M base and bonuses ($11M cap)
Year 2: $11M base and bonuses ($17M cap)
Year 3: $17M base and bonuses ($22M cap)
Year 4: planned June 1 cut ($5M cap)
Year 5: ($5M cap)

You'd have $36M stacked on the last two years in this scenario in base and roster bonuses, but in all likelihood he'd be cut.

It's do-able. It's the only move in FA that, to me, is worth committing a huge centerpiece contract to.

And what to do with Fisher? If he's extended to spread out the cap hit from this year (what I think is most likely) are you then committing to him back at RT or trying him at G (he's too tall for that, IMO?)

So much uncertainty with Fisher and Schwartz. Hopefully the team has more insight.

And the people who want to sign Williams and still take a T in round 1 are crazy. That becomes a lock for DE or WR to me, if they were to add Williams.
Yeah, consider that fisher will be coming off a major injury and is entering that 30+ age territory. He will hopefully re-sign at a decent price for us.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:08 AM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Yeah, consider that fisher will be coming off a major injury and is entering that 30+ age territory. He will hopefully re-sign at a decent price for us.
I would think the team and Fisher can work out a deal that benefits both parties.

But they're not going to use that money to replace him. If they want to replace him, both sides would be better off to stand firm and let 2021 play out.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 11:20 AM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I would think the team and Fisher can work out a deal that benefits both parties.

But they're not going to use that money to replace him. If they want to replace him, both sides would be better off to stand firm and let 2021 play out.
What? In the incredibly unlikely scenario they've already decided to replace him, how does it make any sense to keep him on the roster?
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:26 AM 02-23-2021
The whole idea with Williams is based on one of Schwartz or Fisher not coming back.

If it’s Fisher, Williams plays LT until Fisher is healthy and then flips to RT. If it’s Schwartz, Williams is the new primary LT.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:29 AM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
What? In the incredibly unlikely scenario they've already decided to replace him, how does it make any sense to keep him on the roster?
Because he's done with his contract after 2021. Re-doing his deals will just add years, keeping an unhappy player here for longer than it's worth.

They could certainly release him now but they'll have to pay for his medical care and take the cap hit.

Not that any of that matters, they're not replacing Eric Fisher, no matter how badly the fans want it.

It's not go0ing to happen.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:30 AM 02-23-2021
The whole idea with Williams is based on one of Schwartz or Fisher not coming back.

If it’s Fisher, Williams plays LT until Fisher is healthy and then flips to RT. If it’s Schwartz, Williams is the new primary LT.
The problem with that is I’m pretty sure Niang will be the starter at RT.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:31 AM 02-23-2021

Given the complete lack of news or rumors out there, I'm beginning to think Schwartz will be back too.
[Reply]
Bowser 11:55 AM 02-23-2021
Probably going to be a lot of disappointed people this offseason.

I expect the Chiefs to make moves that nobody expects.
I get the feeling they are going to re-sign guys in house and not make a ton of new FA moves with players not already here. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have that feeling.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 12:00 PM 02-23-2021
Given the complete lack of news or rumors out there, I'm beginning to think Schwartz will be back too.
It remains the strangest unknown in the chiefdom.
[Reply]
BossChief 12:13 PM 02-23-2021
They just started Mike Remmers and Devon Wylie in the Super Bowl.

Trent Williams is not coming here.
Not sure what that has to do with Trent Williams. Both of those guys were replacement level players that derailed our chances of winning the game.

They also tried signing Adrus Peat and drafted OL in the third.

I do think it’s more likely they address OL in the draft, but Veach has an eye on adding the best possible options for premium positions and if Silverback becomes available, I’m sure we will have interest.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:24 PM 02-23-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
The problem with that is I’m pretty sure Niang will be the starter at RT.

They were prepared to try him at RG or LG when they had Fisher and Schwartz healthy. Makes me think they’d do the same with a healthy Fisher/Williams or Schwartz/Williams combo.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 9
« First < 23456 789 >
Up