ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 17
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Hall of Classics>Guess what? Gretz call us classless and deranged
dirk digler 09:19 AM 01-14-2004
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news_article...RNYVT5ZWBXRP4A

An Act of Supreme Loyalty
1/14/2004 6:17 AM

The columnists dissect the 2003 season and take a look at what's ahead for the Chiefs in '04. Read it here in a series of columns beginning next week.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Bob Gretz
January 14, 2004 (morning)--Last year, Dick Vermeil showed his loyalty to Greg Robinson by retaining him on his coaching staff.

Robinson paid back that loyalty on Tuesday by resigning as the defensive coordinator of the Chiefs.

It was an extraordinary act by Robinson. He put aside ego, all pretense and he fell on his sword for Dick Vermeil. Team and Vermeil came ahead of himself. No small wonder why the head coach was so emotional when he talked about Robinson and why he felt like he let his assistant down.

In more than 25 years of covering the NFL, I’ve never witnessed anything that came close to Tuesday’s morning gathering. The raw emotion was unforgettable. It was a window into the world that Vermeil has created with his football team. It was a window into the world of coaching and all the twists and turns that make the business so exciting and so heart breaking.

First, Robinson did the right thing in offering to resign. Secondly, Vermeil did the right thing in accepting. After everything that happened with the Chiefs in 2003, the focus was entirely on Robinson and the defense. It would have been impossible for this organization to make enough changes in other areas to overcome the negativity that would have surrounded Robinson’s further employment.

There’s no question the defense was broken. Robinson and the defensive staff tried their best, but in the end it did not come together on the field. Last year, Robinson was handicapped by a defense that had few talented players. This season, the talent level was improved, but it still wasn’t enough.

What was missing was a defensive mind-set that’s absolutely imperative to success in the NFL. Yes, football today is more complicated than it was years ago. Defenses must react to offenses, they must take part in the chess game.

But they must do it with an attitude that was seldom evident around the Chiefs defense. It was never there in 2002, showed itself early in 2003, but then disappeared, returning just briefly for the Chicago game. For that, the players, Robinson, the defensive staff and Vermeil must share the blame.

Beyond scheme, beyond talent, what this Chiefs defensive unit needs is an infusion of passion. When Vermeil picks Robinson’s successor, that’s should be the most important part of his resume.

There are many people celebrating Robinson’s departure, reveling in kicking a man when he’s down, laughing at the raw emotion he was willing to share on what was probably the worst day of his professional life. If you are one of those people, like the classless folks who started a web site to promote the firing of Robinson, please seek help. You believe the success of the team is more important to you, than the people who give their blood, sweat and tears each and every day to make it work. You are deranged and can not a hold a candle to a man like Robinson.

Anybody who witnessed what happened at Arrowhead Stadium on Tuesday morning should now have a better understanding of what the people who coach in this business put on the line. They don’t always get it right, they don’t always produce.
[Reply]
Otter 11:05 AM 01-14-2004
I fail to see the drama here -

Grob was given three years to do a job, he failed each of the three years. At the end of year three his contract was up for review.

If Bobby wants to point fingers lets point out that Grob possibly cost the Chiefs thier best shot at the super bowl in years and drug down the most productive offense in the NFL with him.

Since when wasn't he subject to real-world expectaitons?

I'd like to see what Bobby does when the waiter brings him a soggy pork chop just once let alone three years in a row.
[Reply]
Phobia 11:08 AM 01-14-2004
Originally Posted by Otter:
I'd like to see what Bobby does when the waiter brings him a soggy pork chop just once let alone three years in a row.
Now, that's just classless and deranged. *sniff* *sniff*
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:11 AM 01-14-2004
Originally Posted by 50yrplan:
I mean what world are they in upside down world?
I hate upside down world. I'm always spilling my root beer there.
[Reply]
Talisman 11:15 AM 01-14-2004
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I hate upside down world. I'm always spilling my root beer there.
Upside Down World Tip: Jeans are a safer bet than a kilt.
[Reply]
Iowanian 11:23 AM 01-14-2004
I got a response from Bob Gretz....the weakest, pants pissing reply I could have expected.

"I was right, you need professional help"
[Reply]
Dartgod 11:24 AM 01-14-2004
I did a quick calculation and although I don't remember the exact ticket prices for each year I had season tickets, I have spent roughly $15,000 on Chiefs tickets over the last 14 years. That doesn't include playoff tickets, memorabilia, Chiefs clothing, food and beer at the stadium or parking.

Bob Gretz can kiss my classless ass.
[Reply]
Calcountry 11:24 AM 01-14-2004
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Gretz is a moron. If he believes that the success of the team is more important to the mercenaries who routinely switch loyalties based on who's signing their paycheck than it is to fans who have voluntarily agonized over the team for DECADES, then Gretz needs help. What a clueless columnist.

Maybe he should forego his paycheck for a while to rediscover his passion for the team. Or maybe he should just go get paid to write for another team.
I wish we could trade our defense plus our entire draft next year for the Baltimore Ravens Defense. Think they would take it.
[Reply]
JazzzLovr 11:25 AM 01-14-2004
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
I got a response from Bob Gretz....the weakest, pants pissing reply I could have expected.

I'd still like to see what your email said. :-)
[Reply]
Iowanian 11:28 AM 01-14-2004
Jazz....

It actually was a revised version of my earlier post. I didn't even call him a fat bitch.

Reeeaal Men of GeniOus......Heres to you, Mr Bitchy Sportswriter

Whooooo do you fans think you are expeeeecting results for your dedication and moooooouhuhu-nay
[Reply]
Calcountry 11:28 AM 01-14-2004
Originally Posted by Otter:
I fail to see the drama here -

Grob was given three years to do a job, he failed each of the three years. At the end of year three his contract was up for review.

If Bobby wants to point fingers lets point out that Grob possibly cost the Chiefs thier best shot at the super bowl in years and drug down the most productive offense in the NFL with him.

Since when wasn't he subject to real-world expectaitons?

Its more like, great steak, great bread, great Beverage, then the waiter asks, can I bring you desert? I'll have a scoop of Ice cream please.

Brings out a bowl full of melted stuff that may have once been Ice cream, spills it in your lap, then asks for a tip.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 11:29 AM 01-14-2004
Originally Posted by bunnytrdr:
I wish we could trade our defense plus our entire draft next year for the Baltimore Ravens Defense. Think they would take it.
Just Ray Lewis alone would be an upgade.
[Reply]
Chiefnj 11:30 AM 01-14-2004

How can he type with his head stuck up CP's colon?
[Reply]
RNR 11:30 AM 01-14-2004
Originally Posted by Phobia:
I don't know why everybody's so upset about being called deranged. I'm deranged and I damn well know it. This is my story.

In 1995, my team dominated the NFL and won the SuperBowl.

In 1997, my team dominated the NFL and won the SuperBowl.

In 2003, my team dominated the NFL and won the SuperBowl.

Oh. Wait. No. They. Didn't. They lost their first ****ing playoff game..... at home..... instead.

We need to seek help? WE ALREADY HAVE. DR. PHIL CAN'T EVEN HEAL THESE WOUNDS. WOULD YOU LIKE MY THERAPY BILL, MR. GRETZ?

I'm feeling much better now. Thanks for reading my opinion.
You got issues!? it was early 1984 my team is fresh off a 38-9 Superbowl win the third they had won while I have been rooting for them, I am looking at a team with enough talent to go back to back..........

It is now 1990 I am watching Bo Jackson run over 80 yards in a blow out win against the Bengals thinking Superbowl! he gets tackled and his hip jerks, he never plays again! In the AFC Championship game the last seconds tick off I am thinking damn I sure am glad Scott Davis blocked that extra point to keep it to 51-3 :-)

2000 HFA baby the Ravens are in our house! trip to the bowl on the line! The trainers are peeling Gannon out of a 6 inch hole created by son of flubber while pile driving him to the ground. :-)

2001 a foot of snow on the ground as we recover the fumble to seal the win and move on to the AFC Championship game!!!........the kick is up and it is good the Patriots win. :-)

2003 It is on! we are in the bowl baby! I am watching the NFL MVP run around like a chicken with its head cut off hitting wide open defensive backs all night. Gruden being carried off the field while giving Davis the finger. :-)

2004 Oakland is drafting 2nd overall after going 4-12 one year removed from the Superbowl, with no coach, and a locker room full of players doing their best "OZ" imatation. :-)

All this while Davis has lawsuits going against L.A., Oakland, the NFL and God....the last over his inevivable and in his eyes unfair death.

I plan on talking to my theapist about this as soon as he lifts the restraining order. :-)
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:36 AM 01-14-2004

Did he check with Carl Peterson before he sent it?
[Reply]
Iowanian 11:39 AM 01-14-2004
I've composed a reply to Bobby.

"So Bobby,
fans like me, who spend hundreds and thousands of dollars following the Chiefs, read every second-rate Chiefs related Column and loyally attend games for more than 30 years without superbowl appearances, need "professional help" for expecting a good product on the field?

Ask yourself if you feel the same, the next time the waiter forgets your cheesecake.

In the Big picture; Coaches, Players and sportswriters are mere mercenaries for the most part. Fans like Me are the Ones who make the Chiefs an Institution. We're also the same fans that Carl and the media called on to be "Rabbid" sunday, and we provided. Aye Ahm, Emmit Smith.

The truth is that fans should be given half of our money back for last weeks game, since Greg Robinson's half of the team didn't show up."
[Reply]
Page 5 of 17
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Up