ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Will KC's 2021 offense be superior to the 2018 version?
Hell yes! 24 50.00%
Not quite 18 37.50%
Not even close 3 6.25%
Kareem Hunt can suck my johnson 3 6.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Nzoner's Game Room>2021 offense vs 2018
RaidersOftheCellar 09:59 AM 06-15-2021
Can this offense be "better" than 2018? Statistically or otherwise?
[Reply]
TwistedChief 10:17 AM 06-15-2021
We've never seen Mahomes with a legitimately good interior OL. In isolation, it opens up so many more possibilities in terms of what he's able to do by just staying in the pocket. Beyond that, the threat of a real run game will make our offense so much more balanced, especially in the red zone when we need to show every gimmick play we have just to get a yard on 4th and 1.

I think CEH can be every bit as dynamic as Hunt was.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 10:23 AM 06-15-2021
I think our offense will be better, but not necessarily on paper. Our D is better, we don't need to score 40 and we can probably run the ball effectively late with a lead, all leading to less yard and points, but a better all around offense.
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 10:27 AM 06-15-2021
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
We've never seen Mahomes with a legitimately good interior OL. In isolation, it opens up so many more possibilities in terms of what he's able to do by just staying in the pocket. Beyond that, the threat of a real run game will make our offense so much more balanced, especially in the red zone when we need to show every gimmick play we have just to get a yard on 4th and 1.

I think CEH can be every bit as dynamic as Hunt was.
Agreed. I think Edwards-Helaire has potential to be better. He just didn't have a chance to show it behind the worst run-blocking in the NFL.

It's amazing that they were able to score 30/game last year with such an imbalanced offense and a decimated line.
[Reply]
Sofa King 10:28 AM 06-15-2021
No. The no holds barred scoring in 2018 was far more entertaining than the more ball control focused offenses we've seen the last couple years and what we'll see this year. So for me, the 2018 will be tops.
[Reply]
crispystl 10:29 AM 06-15-2021
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
I think our offense will be better, but not necessarily on paper. Our D is better, we don't need to score 40 and we can probably run the ball effectively late with a lead, all leading to less yard and points, but a better all around offense.

Probably this. We should be much more efficient at putting teams away too ...which would be be nice for a change.
I’m that hoping since Mahomes will be protected much better and we should be able to run the ball to end games I won’t nearly have a heart attack every Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Dunerdr 10:44 AM 06-15-2021
Not unless Andy decides he doesnt mind winning buy 4 scores per game. This defense, while lacking outside pass rush, cant possibly be that bad. 2018 was insane because of necessity, we wont have to hang a 40 burger weekly to win. Mahomes was insanely good at putting teams away with his arm last year, this year theyll be even better with some run game.
[Reply]
Hoover 10:56 AM 06-15-2021
Better Oline, year two for CEH, means longer more sustained drives, which means more time off the clock.

Mahomes will continue to have MVP seasons, but he won't have to put up insane stats to get the job done. He will still have plenty of yards and TDs, but he's going to get there with 300 yards and a few TDs a game.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 10:57 AM 06-15-2021
That's a complex question to answer. The 2018 season was like watching a 17 year old kid play Madden on rookie level for offense, then boost up to All Madden level while trying to play defense.

You'll probably never see another statistical season like that again, simply because we're a much more balanced team now. Plus, Andy and Mahomes have evolved a ton since then. I think at the time, Andy was so thrilled to have found Pat that he just let him go out there and gun the ball all over the place. He was as much of a fan as the rest of us at that point, enamored with Mahomes' playmaking ability.

With CEH going into year two and with a much improved offensive line, we definitely have the potential to be 'better' without being quite as exciting or statistically impressive. The Chiefs offense is just a well oiled machine now. It's all become routine. They don't even look like they're trying half the time.

So it really depends on what your perspective is on being better. They're more controlled, patient and surgical now. There's a lot more strategy involved. In that regard, yes I expect they will be better than ever.
[Reply]
O.city 11:02 AM 06-15-2021
Originally Posted by Hoover:
Better Oline, year two for CEH, means longer more sustained drives, which means more time off the clock.

Mahomes will continue to have MVP seasons, but he won't have to put up insane stats to get the job done. He will still have plenty of yards and TDs, but he's going to get there with 300 yards and a few TDs a game.
I dunno why, but I just have this feeling that they're gonna just unload on people this year. Like "fuck you, I've got something to prove".

Maybe I'm way off there, but with this new OL I just have the feeling they're gonna just go super 2018 flex.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:13 AM 06-15-2021
Originally Posted by Sofa King:
No. The no holds barred scoring in 2018 was far more entertaining than the more ball control focused offenses we've seen the last couple years and what we'll see this year. So for me, the 2018 will be tops.
This.

The 2018 offense was forced to score at a drastic rate because the D was so bad. The 2020 version of the Chiefs was more of a ball control offense that could explode when forced to, otherwise they attempted to slow the game down a little and play more team ball.

Unless the defense takes a big step back, i expect the Chiefs again try to shorten games, especially if they get a good lead.
[Reply]
O.city 11:16 AM 06-15-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
This.

The 2018 offense was forced to score at a drastic rate because the D was so bad. The 2020 version of the Chiefs was more of a ball control offense that could explode when forced to, otherwise they attempted to slow the game down a little and play more team ball.

Unless the defense takes a big step back, i expect the Chiefs again try to shorten games, especially if they get a good lead.
I just think the offensive line, if things go as planned, will be so good that it just won't let them not be great.

I think this offense could rival that 2012ish Bronco offense where Manning was just locked in.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:16 AM 06-15-2021
I don’t think so bc our defense will be good. The 2018 defense made Mahomes score every possession in over half of the games

2018 was also Patrick’s first year so defenses had no idea what to expect which is why he went off the first month of the season
[Reply]
O.city 11:18 AM 06-15-2021
I think more of the "dink and dunk" slowed down offense the past couple years has been because of the OL and how defenses are playing them than by choice.

They've definitely made an effort to be more efficient, which is great. But I think they were kind of forced to do that when the OL went to shambles and defenses just drop so many and could get after it with 4.

Thats no longer the case. I think we see them just blast teams.
[Reply]
crispystl 11:23 AM 06-15-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
I dunno why, but I just have this feeling that they're gonna just unload on people this year. Like "**** you, I've got something to prove".

Maybe I'm way off there, but with this new OL I just have the feeling they're gonna just go super 2018 flex.
I could definitely see them starting the season with a chip on their shoulders after the SuperBowl. I wouldn't really want to be Cleveland walking into that!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up