ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 21
< 12 345612 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Craig Stout: Chris Jones has been lining up at DE a TON at OTAs.
Direckshun 05:02 PM 05-28-2021
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Honestly, I’d rather keep him along the interior where he is elite. But Stout mentioned that the base DL is Jones and Clark on the edges with Reed and Nnadi along the interior.

That’s a big risk the team is taking, and the early returns in spot duty last year were not encouraging.

But Stout mentions that Jones has slimmed down a ton as well, clearly prepared to take a stronger role at RDE.

Maybe the most important thing to watch for our defense.

He also mentions Humphrey is your starting center.
[Reply]
staylor26 05:32 PM 05-28-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Does he make the roster right now?
Yes, no question.

Unless they sign a veteran, he’s probably a lock.
[Reply]
Jamie 05:38 PM 05-28-2021
Didn't Jones say some stuff implying that he preferred to play DE when we switched to the 4-3?
[Reply]
Direckshun 05:44 PM 05-28-2021
Originally Posted by Jamie:
Didn't Jones say some stuff implying that he preferred to play DE when we switched to the 4-3?
He’s been saying it for two years.
[Reply]
tyecopeland 06:20 PM 05-28-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Only a fucking moron thinks that Jones will be playing outside on passing downs. This is simply a way to get your best 4 (Clark, Nnadi, Reed, Jones) on early downs. That’s all.

In no way is it a “big risk” either, considering it’s not permanent/irreversible.
Originally Posted by Mecca:
This is for run downs...

The Chiefs think they can get something from Taco Charlton in pass downs, he had a 20% pressure rate last year which is really good.
Aren't all downs passing downs in today's nfl?
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 06:26 PM 05-28-2021
Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief:
This is really no big surprise, pretty much assumed it would happen when we signed Reed. Nnadi is the best run defender on the roster and this is really about putting your best guys on the field as much as possible. Our best 3 lineman happen to all be DTs so you adjust accordingly.

He’ll play outside on 1st and 2nd down and move inside with Reed on passing downs. It makes sense.
Agree.

As soon as they signed Reed, this was a logical prediction.

I think we'll see a lot of Jones at LE early in games, on 1st downs. Once the Chiefs have a lead of 2+ scores or on 2nd and 3rd down, we'll see Jones kick inside with Reed and Charlton on the edge.

I think it can actually wreck a lot of defenses. I'm excited to see it.
[Reply]
staylor26 06:31 PM 05-28-2021
Originally Posted by tyecopeland:
Aren't all downs passing downs in today's nfl?
No.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 06:44 PM 05-28-2021
Originally Posted by Jamie:
DE's get paid more than DTs.
[Reply]
Rasputin 06:59 PM 05-28-2021
Holy fuck I trust Steve Spags over anyone whatever he thinks we should do go for it. Fucking sounds like a plan to me.
[Reply]
kccrow 07:23 PM 05-28-2021
I don't see any issue with it on run downs, even though I hope they mix it up there and slide him inside sometimes. His last year rushing as a 5-tech he did get 15.5 sacks, so I don't think moving out is a problem, and brings about the question if they'll run more of a 4-3 Under that not only fits the collective players better but that Clark and Reed both know intimately.

To be honest, it probably also improves the interior run-stopping. I'm sure he slides inside on obvious passing downs, where he's got that power to get to the QB quickly and they put Taco or Danna on the outside.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 09:14 PM 05-28-2021
You have the worst football opinions on this board. You realize that right?
[Reply]
kcclone 09:28 PM 05-28-2021
Unless we sign Houston or Ingram, I see this as our best option. We should be pretty good against the run with that lineup. Then we can bump Jones inside for Nnadi and sub Taco in on 2nd & long / 3rd down.
[Reply]
Direckshun 09:40 PM 05-28-2021
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
DE's get paid more than DTs.
He’s already making 20m/year being elite in the interior.
[Reply]
RealSNR 11:06 PM 05-28-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
The logic Stout trotted out is that Reed is actually a good pass rusher and a stout run defender, whereas Jones gives you a ton more pressure-ability on the edge than anybody else on the roster.

Which, I don’t know, sure.

I don’t know what talent Jones has that translates to the edge. But maybe the weight loss unlocks dormant abilities I didn’t know about it.
It's not technically the actual edge, but he had multiple years of double digit sacks lining up at DE in Sutton's 3-4. And for all intents and purposes, his role and responsibilities would look pretty darn similar for the downs in which he's playing 4-3 DE-- soak up double teams from the tackle/guard, and if possible, shed those assholes and make a play, which is what he's excels at.

Justin Tuck in Spagnuolo's Giants teams was also unfamiliar with 4-3 end at one point in his career until they had him in there on certain downs for the better of the rotation. Lo and behold, guys who are the NFL's best interior rushers can also do damage at DE if asked, and then you got to see fresher players at the other DL positions as a result. And frankly, Jones is a better player than Justin Tuck was.

Think of how good Chris Jones is and ask yourself if there's ANY spot on the DL that couldn't use his amazing athletic gifts. Now move him around all the time. Or play him according to matchups if the opposing offense has a weak link against Jones' strengths as a player. Fuck... put Jones at fucking CB if it means we're going to get the best possible defense. I don't care. And I think that's what Spags is really in tune with.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:20 PM 05-28-2021
God, this guy was so clutch in the Niners Super Bowl.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 12:21 AM 05-29-2021
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
God, this guy was so clutch in the Niners Super Bowl.
Facts! He had like three straight batted balls in the fourth quarter. Jones fucking shows up in big games. He’s well worth the 20 mil
[Reply]
Page 2 of 21
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up