ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 14
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Any George Lynch fans out there??
petegz28 08:33 PM 09-19-2012

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:58 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by alpha_omega:
Love EVH and he was revolutionary. But unfortunately, the only thing he is revolutionizing now is playing the same fucking solo over and over and over and over and over.
It's hard for anyone to stay forever 21...
[Reply]
Kerberos 01:02 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by BoneKrusher:
John 5's Awesome.
i heard his version of the Chet Atkins classic Sugar Foot Rag and got blown away.
the guy can do it all
any style.
Dude is kinda psycho though......

[Reply]
htismaqe 01:03 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
His new breed of guitars not only launched Charvel/Jackson but companies like Warmoth, ESP, Ibanez (who had only previously made Gibson knockoff), so on and so forth. His work with Mike Soldano and Reinhold Bogner (and later, James Brown) helped to create the sound of Modern Rock and Metal.
He single-handedly kept Peavey afloat, if not quite profitable, for a good 15 years, did he not?
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:06 PM 09-20-2012
I should add that Wayne Charvel told me back in 1993 that HE made the neck on Eddie's famous "Frankenstrat".
You fucking name dropper.

That is SO cool. :-)
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:08 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
He single-handedly kept Peavey afloat, if not quite profitable, for a good 15 years, did he not?
They were a solid company before he joined but he definitely gave them a new market. They were previously known for country music but more importantly, the big business of providing P.A. systems for churches across the country. Peavey dominated that market well into the 90's.
[Reply]
Bowser 01:10 PM 09-20-2012
Sure it was and still is to this day. Furthermore, Lynch could read, not that it matters, anyway. Ozzy didn't care for style and Lynch didn't want to be in Ozzy for the main reason that Brad Gillis and John Sykes didn't want the gig: Money.

In Ozzy (and this includes everyone from Randy to Gus), you're a paid sideman. That's it. Flat fee, whether it's studio time or touring. Musicians in Ozzy's band don't share in the record royalties. In each and every song, Ozzy is listed as co-writer although he doesn't write lyrics, melodies or music. If you wrote the music, you're not going to receive 50% but 10%.

Lynch and Gillis decided to take their chances with their respective bands (Night Ranger & Dokken) and Sykes went on to write and record the Whitesnake 1987 album, although he was fired before the band toured or shot video.

Rock musicians aren't expected to show up with a guitar and a chart for auditions. Never have, never will.

Public knowledge? More like Urban Myth. Lynch was a guitar teacher and took over Randy Rhoads students after Randy's death. Lynch also studied classical guitar in Arizona in the 80's and IMO, made his playing worse.

And once again, unless you're showing up on a soundstage for a session, it doesn't matter if can sight read or not, especially in rock.
Jesus. I've always heard the rumors of how Sharon is just a bulldozing bitch on the business side, but nothing so specific.

Confirm or deny this old time rumor - Sharon handed out rotten eggs at an Ozzfest featuring Iron Maiden and told the crowd to pelt them, becasue Maiden was having trouble with the way she was handling the event and/or paying them? And due to that, Maiden made the decision to not actively tour in the US ever since?
[Reply]
Brock 01:10 PM 09-20-2012
It wasn't a "home made" guitar, per se. It was a Boogie Bodies (which later changed their name to Warmoth) alder strat body with a Mighty Mite neck. I should add that Wayne Charvel told me back in 1993 that HE made the neck on Eddie's famous "Frankenstrat". A huge part of the sound was 60's hand wound pickup Gibson pickup, which Eddie decided to "pot" due to feedback (which also cuts down on the "chime" or top end, which balanced out the sound of the Strat body).

Also, the variac thing is a myth. I've heard people say that he burned out tubes because he ran the voltage so hot, but that's the exact opposite of what would happen - the amp would sound cleaner. Then, there's this idea that he ran the Variac to starve the tubes, which would indeed give the amp more gain. But all of it is complete hogwash and nonsense.

I have it on extremely good authority that he used his '68 Marshall Super Lead, which has the same tonestack at the JTM45, but had its tube rectifier converted to a solid state rectifier, which made it "tighter" sounding (later "Plexi" models have a different tonestack and solid state rectifier) along with an MXR Distortion + for the recording of Van Halen I. And in all honesty, that's exactly what it sounds like. Also, there are pictures floating around from various festivals and outdoor shows that clearly show a Distortion + on his pedal board, right next to the Phase 90 and Phase 100.
This is all fascinating to me because I've been attempting for years to duplicate exactly his tone using the same low-buck, low-tech methods i.e. without just going out and buying it. Thanks.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 01:12 PM 09-20-2012
It's hard for anyone to stay forever 21...
I agree. It's just hard to hear a little piece of Eruption in every solo he plays.
[Reply]
Bowser 01:16 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by alpha_omega:
I agree. It's just hard to hear a little piece of Eruption in every solo he plays.
When VH came to town a few months ago, Eddie was trying to do an intricate solo, and just flubbed it. He fell back on Eruption.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:18 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Jesus. I've always heard the rumors of how Sharon is just a bulldozing bitch on the business side, but nothing so specific.
I could go on and on and on about her. She is not well liked due to her strong-armed tactics.

Originally Posted by Bowser:
Confirm or deny this old time rumor - Sharon handed out rotten eggs at an Ozzfest featuring Iron Maiden and told the crowd to pelt them, becasue Maiden was having trouble with the way she was handling the event and/or paying them? And due to that, Maiden made the decision to not actively tour in the US ever since?
Confirmed.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:18 PM 09-20-2012
They were a solid company before he joined but he definitely gave them a new market. They were previously known for country music but more importantly, the big business of providing P.A. systems for churches across the country. Peavey dominated that market well into the 90's.
Ah yes, I forgot about that. They did do a lot of PA stuff. I remember the local band equipment store here in the very early 80's (I would have been in 4th or 5th grade) carried the full line of Peavey amps and PA gear and that would have been right around the time "1984" came out. My first guitar was a Peavey Strat knockoff.
[Reply]
frankotank 01:23 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
There was alot of great "Guitar Gods" from the hair metal era, but unfortunately, people laugh off alot of that era now.

Slash
Mick Mars
Vinnie Vincent
Vitto Bratta
nuno bettencourt
Vai
Vivian Campbell
Steve Clark

but my fav is probably Stevie Ray Vaughn who was born of that era, but pretty far removed from it obviously.
SRV is my fav by far. Nuno can really play (flight of the wounded bumblebee on some old Extreme CD is nuts). even saw him live a few times when he went solo. Johnny Lang is no slouch. Kenny Wayne Shepherd is friggin insane good as well.

you guys making "meh" type comments about the thread video just crack me up. it's nothing short of fucking AMAZING that anyone could play that good. AMAZING! Lynch is insane I sold my soul to the devil good! nothing meh about it.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:24 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by Brock:
This is all fascinating to me because I've been attempting for years to duplicate exactly his tone using the same low-buck, low-tech methods i.e. without just going out and buying it. Thanks.
If you're going for VH I throught 1984, try this:

Warmoth Alder body
Warmoth Pro maple neck (I don't even think a maple fingerboard is necessary)
Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck bridge pickup (Jazz in the neck, if dual pickup)
German made Floyd Rose in chrome (the Korean made FR's are jacked up and the metallurgy is incorrect).

For amps, there are any number of Plexi amp builders out there from Dave Friedman to Ceriatone to Metro Amps and so on. Or you can grab a Randall MTS Series head and purchase a modified Plexi-style module (Friedman offers them as well) and get the same tone for a fraction of the cost.

Unless you live in a town with a great amp tech (and I mean GREAT, not a bozo), I'd forego the old Marshalls because they usually need new filter caps, transformers, etc. in order to work properly and replicate their initial tone.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:31 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
There was alot of great "Guitar Gods" from the hair metal era, but unfortunately, people laugh off alot of that era now.

Slash
Mick Mars
Vinnie Vincent
Vitto Bratta
nuno bettencourt
Vai
Vivian Campbell
Steve Clark

but my fav is probably Stevie Ray Vaughn who was born of that era, but pretty far removed from it obviously.
I don't consider Slash a "Guitar God", although he's got an extremely distinctive sound and style.

Mick Mars? No. Awful guitar tone, nothing special as a player.

Vinnie Vincent? The guy recorded his guitar solos at half speed (15ips), then they were played back at regular speed (30ips). Total poser phony.

Nuno? Sure. He's a great player. Nothing distinct about his tone, solos or writing but he can play.

Vivian Campbell? Nah. He's a Gary Moore clone, and not even a good clone at that. He just happened to get the Dio gig after Jake turned it down.

Steve Clark? I'm dumbfounded. Steve Clark?

IMO, Vai's the only "Guitar God" on your list and he's still active, albeit, not in the spotlight.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:32 PM 09-20-2012
Slash - not hair metal, in some ways GNR signified the death of hair metal
Mick Mars - BLECH
Vinnie Vincent - BLECH
Vitto Bratta - ouch, what? White Lion? Come on man...
nuno bettencourt - brilliant guitar player, HORRIBLE band
Vai - finally, you have a hit :-)
Vivian Campbell - ahem, Vivian Campbell has a Dio number of ONE :-)

If I were to make a list of some of my favorites from that era:

Marty Friedman - love his solo stuff, Megadeth with him will always be my favorite lineup
Alex Skolnick
Yngwie Malmsteen - I know, I know. Enormous dickhead. Call it a guilty pleasure
Joe Satriani - the best I've ever seen or heard, his guitar work in many ways transcends the guitar
[Reply]
Page 7 of 14
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Up