ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 31 of 171
« First < 212728293031 323334354181131 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:49 PM 05-28-2017
I watched Bosch on recommendation from this thread.

I'm not normally down for police procedurals. But this one is really really good. I've never been endnotes with Titus Welliver and that's part of the reason this show kicks ass. He really nails a role that would be easy to botch. He has to express a mountain of emotion while being bottled up. He knocked it out of the park.

Naturally with everything writing makes or breaks the series. And this is good. The thing that separates Bosch is that it isn't formulaic. Or at least doesn't feel that way. It lets the case and the overriding stories meander in a way that feels natural. Moreover the pacing is excellent. It doesn't try to stretch stories out or cram them into a box. That by itself really takes it above most police procedurals.

Highly recommend
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:04 PM 05-28-2017
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
I thought you watched some of Turn but didn't like it?

Hell on Wheels I didn't see and we both loved it. Netflix has now. So you can binge watch. Opening scene really hooked me to continue.

Just did Season 2 of The Last Kingdom, but it's hard to understand one time through with the British accents and it can be a bit confusing. Looking up some history, looking at some maps, and looking up a few terms from the era, then watching it through a 2nd time, I found it really enjoyable. I would have labled it mediocre unless I did all that.

Noticed you watched The Americans. I love that one. I watch it each season.

I love The Big Bang Theory too, but miss it too much.
Thanks for the heads up on Last Kingdom. I'll start that one. I'll put Hell on Wheels on the list. I guess I didn't realize I left it off.
[Reply]
Frazod 01:18 AM 05-29-2017
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Just finished watching the second season of Dark Matter on Netflix. Although it's very derivative of lots of other stuff (Alien crew meets Firefly with amnesia with little bits of Star Trek thrown in and a Mass Effect sounding score), I really enjoy it. Good cast, solid production and a couple of serious babes.

Season 3 starts on scifi next month. Got it programmed on the DVR. :-)
And since I'm kind of in a science fiction mood, now I'm five episodes into The Expanse. I really like this one.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 05:39 AM 05-29-2017
Anyone watch the Brad Pitt Netflix movie, War Machine yet? Looks entertaining.
[Reply]
Nickhead 03:01 PM 05-29-2017
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Anyone watch the Brad Pitt Netflix movie, War Machine yet? Looks entertaining.
it is :-)
[Reply]
keg in kc 03:37 PM 05-29-2017
Originally Posted by Frazod:
And since I'm kind of in a science fiction mood, now I'm five episodes into The Expanse. I really like this one.
We have an expanse thread on here somewhere. Really good series of books that's based on. Show really goes to another level in season 2.

If you haven't watched it yet, Dark Matter's companion show on Syfy is (or has been, not sure if they're still blocked together later this summer...) Killjoys, which is about as close to Firefly as you can get these days. Really good show, too.
[Reply]
Frazod 03:47 PM 05-29-2017
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
We have an expanse thread on here somewhere. Really good series of books that's based on. Show really goes to another level in season 2.

If you haven't watched it yet, Dark Matter's companion show on Syfy is (or has been, not sure if they're still blocked together later this summer...) Killjoys, which is about as close to Firefly as you can get these days. Really good show, too.
Thanks for the recommendation. If I can find a stream for it, I'll add it to the list.

Might start messing with my head keeping all of the dark dreary story lines straight, though. :-)
[Reply]
keg in kc 05:25 PM 05-29-2017
Killjoy's is pretty light. Though some dark shit happens from time to time... Overall a lighter show than Dark Matter.
[Reply]
Frazod 05:30 PM 05-29-2017
Expanse is definitely not light. It's kind of like Game of Thrones in space.
[Reply]
keg in kc 05:40 PM 05-29-2017
Half of SA Corey, AKA the "person" behind The Expanse, is GRRM protege Daniel Abraham...

The other half is Ty Franck. Basically the novels are written collaboratively by two guys, and they're heavily involved with the tv production, too.

It's the most expensive show syfy has ever done, and it shows.
[Reply]
Frazod 06:02 PM 05-29-2017
Half of SA Corey, AKA the "person" behind The Expanse, is GRRM protege Daniel Abraham...

The other half is Ty Franck. Basically the novels are written collaboratively by two guys, and they're heavily involved with the tv production, too.

It's the most expensive show syfy has ever done, and it shows.
Yeah, it's amazing. And of all the sci-fi shows I've watched, the situations, technology and effects of spending generations in space in this one seem the most realistic. Thoughtful, intelligent and thoroughly grounded in real science. I'll always love Star Trek but this is to Star Trek what Star Trek is to Flash Gordon.
[Reply]
keg in kc 05:15 PM 06-09-2017
Started watching The Last Kingdom yesterday on Netflix. 12 hours later with half a season to go I feel safe in saying this is a really, really good show.
[Reply]
Fansy the Famous Bard 08:39 PM 06-09-2017
Started watching The Last Kingdom yesterday on Netflix. 12 hours later with half a season to go I feel safe in saying this is a really, really good show.
It is underrated for sure
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:26 PM 06-09-2017
I was impressed too after not even having heard of it before.

Season 2 is out also.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:54 PM 06-11-2017
Originally Posted by unlurking:
Anyone watch Love on Netflix?
:-) - your posts got me to start watching this weekend. When I got to the scene where he's jamming Wings' 'Jet' at the party, I decided to give it a listen. And 90% of the comments on the official video on youtube is from the past year people saying 'who's here because of that scene in Love?'
[Reply]
Page 31 of 171
« First < 212728293031 323334354181131 > Last »
Up