ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Media Center>Help Rausch switch to PC
Rausch 05:06 PM 05-26-2021
I don't have the time, knowledge, or patience to build my own.

I selected the parts and compared cyberpowerpc, CLX, maingear, AVAdirect, Digitalstorm, and VRLA.

I ended up about $350 over what I wanted to spend but...eh.

So since I've been a Mac guy my whole life and never built a PC help me out. Don't hesitate to point out anything I missed or part conflicts. Suggestions and advice appreciated.

Pic of specs in 1st post...
[Reply]
hometeam 10:33 PM 05-29-2021
Wrong, that case requires water cooling to get the proper use out of it.

You could do air cooling, but its not great in that case, as it was specifically designed with water in mind. It also has a really slim main chamber since the PSU mounts on the back side, and air coolers of any decent height will not fit. Ultimately, not having any kind of front intake requires use of extra fans tog et proper airflow. You can prob get away with 4-5 total fans with water cooling, need 8-9 on air cooling to get similar thermal results, albeit with considerably more noise.

5900x performance is directly tied to cooling, might as well do it right. If you wanted to switch to air, it would be best to switch cases as well.
[Reply]
Valiant 01:18 AM 05-30-2021
What are you doing with it?
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 07:31 AM 05-30-2021
Originally Posted by Valiant:
"baitin."
[Reply]
Rausch 03:45 PM 05-30-2021
Originally Posted by Valiant:

Originally Posted by Rausch:
I'm essentially building a super console/streaming/media box that I can also use as my main PC in the living room. No, I really don't need more than 1080p right now so a top of the line GPU isn't needed. If I can get a better CPU I will.
I'm going to use my TV in the living room and bed room for the monitor. And yes, I know I'll lose a ton of resolution and overall quality. It doesn't matter because unless I sit 2 feet from the monitor I can't see the shit anyway.

I want the gaming options of steam and pc gaming but I'll be using a game pad and doing it in the living room like a console. I'm not a big FPS or competitive gaming guy and most of my online play is a PS4 ARK 3 map cluster on Gportal. I've become an Ark addict but the console is painfully limiting.

I think I'm going with Maingear or CLX. I'm right now looking at a prebuilt from CLX (out of Kansas) with a R7 5800x and a 1660 super (because almost all the low range AMD cards are sold out.) CLX has fewer customer service and return issues than the other big SI's like iBuypower, Alienware, or Cyberpower.

My biggest complaint is how prebuilt/SI's stuff you into these "tiers" where you have limited options based on price range instead of you picking what you want and them charging you a rate for the build.
[Reply]
Rausch 03:46 PM 05-30-2021
Originally Posted by Beef Supreme:
"baitin."
No.

My 2011 iMac is doing just fine for that purpose...
[Reply]
Rausch 04:01 PM 05-30-2021
Oh, and after having Mac's for 20 years I want this thing to be upgradeable. I want a larger tower, I plan to spend a little up on the motherboard, and I want the fans in there as I upgrade later. I don't want to have to pull everything out - I want to plug and go.

Even my dumb ass can replace a GPU, SSD, or ram. And I do plan to spend up on an air cooler (I'm not a fan of liquid cooling) after I buy the thing. I'd get something like the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro but CLX doesn't sell them and they pretty much force you to go liquid. Whatever, they at least have good build quality a very low return rate.
[Reply]
vailpass 05:59 PM 05-30-2021
Oh, and after having Mac's for 20 years I want this thing to be upgradeable. I want a larger tower, I plan to spend a little up on the motherboard, and I want the fans in there as I upgrade later. I don't want to have to pull everything out - I want to plug and go.

Even my dumb ass can replace a GPU, SSD, or ram. And I do plan to spend up on an air cooler (I'm not a fan of liquid cooling) after I buy the thing. I'd get something like the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro but CLX doesn't sell them and they pretty much force you to go liquid. Whatever, they at least have good build quality a very low return rate.
Consider what HomeTeam told you about the cooler for that case though.
[Reply]
Rausch 07:35 PM 05-30-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
I don't think most air coolers will fit in the Lian Li. I think that quote was from AVAdirect and was using it mostly to gauge components and price range. I don't think CLX even sells that case.

It's a bad place to be right now if you're looking to build or buy. If you use an SI you only have so many options and they're usually very limited. Even if I wanted to build my own you can't buy a GPU on your own.

It's a frustrating game of trade offs.
[Reply]
Rausch 03:11 PM 05-31-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Which case do you think is better able to air cool down the road?

Talos P1 Mid Tower or Evolv X Mid Tower?

Talos probably?
[Reply]
Rausch 12:11 PM 06-01-2021
Here's what I ended up getting.
Attached: clx order.jpg (26.9 KB) 
[Reply]
jd1020 03:06 PM 06-01-2021
Here's what I ended up getting.
Hope the Evolv X works out for you. Not known for having the best thermals. I've seen plenty of reviewers who ended up removing the side panel to bring down temperatures.

There's a common theme when it comes to airflow and thats a mesh front panel.

I checked that website and they do have the P400 available and to me it looks more stylish than your typical airflow focused case so if maximum airflow was what you were after I would have gone with that case. But it seems just from looking at this thread and all the cases you have mentioned that looks were more important than having the best airflow.
[Reply]
Rausch 03:23 PM 06-01-2021
Originally Posted by jd1020:
Hope the Evolv X works out for you. Not known for having the best thermals. I've seen plenty of reviewers who ended up removing the side panel to bring down temperatures.
Actually I watched his review on that case which convinced me to buy it. It doesn't have the best air flow but with added fans (which I did) it was neither terrible or great. It was middle of the road in his opinion.

And if you take the front bridge off all it is is a giant screened front. That front has some but minimal impact on air flow. I guess previous models had that bridge pushed way back blocking a lot of the air.

It'll have 7 fans, liquid radiator cooled, and hopefully good flow. I just wish I could intake air from the bottom and vent out the top.
[Reply]
Rausch 04:28 PM 06-02-2021
Guys, thank you for the advice. I haven't worked on a PC since 03-04 and haven't bought one since I think 2012. That's mostly why I went prebuilt.

And since I did go with an SI what'ya say we meet back here in 5 weeks to help Rausch troubleshoot the inevitable problems?....:-)
[Reply]
Rausch 12:40 PM 06-13-2021
Ok, with my CPU being infamous for running hot I would like to under çlock it Any experienced under clocker advice? I'm still looking at about two weeks before it gets here.
[Reply]
Fish 07:56 PM 06-13-2021
Ok, with my CPU being infamous for running hot I would like to under çlock it Any experienced under clocker advice? I'm still looking at about two weeks before it gets here.
That's a ridiculous solution that probably wouldn't have that much of an effect. Add fans. Improve airflow. Upgrade your case.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up