ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 59 of 172
« First < 9495556575859 6061626369109159 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:08 PM 06-16-2019
Promising start tonight.

The biggest things going for it for me, is Tom Fontana and Boston history.
The history means there's a story to tell, and Tom means they're less likely to fuck it up.

Plus, Affleck did all right with that other Boston armed heist movie thing.
And Fontana and Levinson have teamed up well before. . . .

[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:41 AM 07-02-2019
Man, whatever you might have heard about Euphoria, if you appreciate narrative you owe it to yourself to at least make it through the 3rd episode.

I went into it with a cynical eye, almost watching it as homework to be able to speak knowledgeably if others were discussing it. And it comes on pretty strong.

The first couple episodes are pretty frenetic and nihilistic at the same time, reminiscent of Larry Clark and Harmonie Korine of a previous generation, or Bret Ellis before that.

And it takes you a while to adjust to the spectacle. And there is TONS of spectacle, imagine every form of hedonism you can envision in the latter 20-teens and you're gonna see it somewhere in there.

But it really kicked up a notch, or else I finally got acclimated, in the 3rd episode.

It's not just the narratives themselves, but the simultaneous storytelling style and the verisimilitude. Everything is wild and out there, but still feels feasible and relatable.

It might not be my favorite episode of the entire year, but it might be the one I most admire for the craft displayed.
[Reply]
Miles 06:30 PM 07-06-2019
Over the holiday week watched the Das Boot series on Hulu which is a sequel to the excellent 80s movie. Expectations were really high and it held up to them.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:34 AM 07-24-2019
So I watched the Romanoffs on Amazon. It bears noting that I had it on in the office while I was trying to knock some stuff out, so I undoubtedly missed some things. But it was a worthwhile watch as long as you know what you're getting into.

I didn't, but it got it's hooks into me pretty early because the first episode is really well acted. Well written too, but I'll get to that.

The big thing is if you go in with any expectations, it is important to know the structure. It is essentially like a book of short stories that are all but unrelated. They're fairly long, and are pretty intensive watches. Not necessarily what I was looking for doing work in the office but whatever. They're also straight character pieces. The relationship to the Romanov family doesn't matter, largely. And they are pretty art house-y. They also tackle some pretty heavy social issues. They do so rationally (and thoroughly), IMO, but beware if you're easily offended by that kind of stuff be advised.

Additionally on the note of the writing, it just dumps you into a story and the details come out. And as representative of real life, it's messy. So don't expect some cohesive storyline that follows a standard trope.

It wasn't what I needed to have on while trying to knock out work, but it had me hooked. That kind of stuff normally isn't my bag, but the writing and storytelling was good enough that I kept watching, even though there were clean and definitive breaks between the stories. I'm far from qualified enough to talk about it, but it wouldn't surprise me if this was remembered (perhaps far later) as a definitive work of whatever era we are in these days. All the while, I doubt it is some sort of brilliant success. It is a fairly intensive watch and that can be hard to lock up huge audiences these days.

As a guy that isn't normally into this kind of stuff, I thought it was really good.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:45 AM 07-24-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
So I watched the Romanoffs on Amazon. It bears noting that I had it on in the office while I was trying to knock some stuff out, so I undoubtedly missed some things. But it was a worthwhile watch as long as you know what you're getting into.

I didn't, but it got it's hooks into me pretty early because the first episode is really well acted. Well written too, but I'll get to that.

The big thing is if you go in with any expectations, it is important to know the structure. It is essentially like a book of short stories that are all but unrelated. They're fairly long, and are pretty intensive watches. Not necessarily what I was looking for doing work in the office but whatever. They're also straight character pieces. The relationship to the Romanov family doesn't matter, largely. And they are pretty art house-y. They also tackle some pretty heavy social issues. They do so rationally (and thoroughly), IMO, but beware if you're easily offended by that kind of stuff be advised.

Additionally on the note of the writing, it just dumps you into a story and the details come out. And as representative of real life, it's messy. So don't expect some cohesive storyline that follows a standard trope.

It wasn't what I needed to have on while trying to knock out work, but it had me hooked. That kind of stuff normally isn't my bag, but the writing and storytelling was good enough that I kept watching, even though there were clean and definitive breaks between the stories. I'm far from qualified enough to talk about it, but it wouldn't surprise me if this was remembered (perhaps far later) as a definitive work of whatever era we are in these days. All the while, I doubt it is some sort of brilliant success. It is a fairly intensive watch and that can be hard to lock up huge audiences these days.

As a guy that isn't normally into this kind of stuff, I thought it was really good.
I watched the Amanda Peete and Corey Stull / Kerry Bishe episodes and loved them both.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:12 PM 07-24-2019
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
I watched the Amanda Peete and Corey Stull / Kerry Bishe episodes and loved them both.
They’re all to that level IMO.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:56 PM 07-27-2019
Tomorrow night start Pennyworth. Anyone heard buzz? Excited?

[Reply]
neech 02:49 PM 07-28-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
So I finally watched the last season of Americans. Goddamn that show was good. Lots of those notes hit really hard. It’s hard for me to pick anything bad about it. I will miss it. And Keri Russell.
I might have to check this out.
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 03:44 PM 07-28-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Looks promising, good reviews.

Carla at her 'Elmore Leonard' Guginio-est.

Gave it a look, it was alright.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 07:22 PM 07-29-2019
What did people think of the finale of Veep?

The final few seasons weren't as amazing as the first few but I also think the first few seasons of Veep are maybe the funniest seasons of any show I've ever seen so that's hard to live up to. Especially once the creator of the show left. Richardson was the star of the show the last few seasons IMO.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:25 PM 08-01-2019
Spades new Comedy Central show is off to a flying start, at least from the clips I've seen.

Nothing earth-shattering, just good reliable laughs.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:08 AM 08-08-2019
South Side is 3 eps in, and I think it's skyrocketing to the funniest of the summer.
The humor just comes from all angles, because the writing is snappy and the stories are creative.

It's funny because all the characters have a chance to be good, bad, sweet and sour, and just let them be that, and all the twists and angles and fast talk everyone does to justify their own little hustle has it's own energy and humanity.

It's like Robert Townsend's vision with Dave Chappelle's wit and cynicism.

It's not profound or world-changing, it's just blunt and funny.

[Reply]
BigBeauford 04:17 PM 08-08-2019
I know there is a thread on it, but "The Boys"! Has potential to be a real cultural fixation ala GoT.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 12:45 AM 08-21-2019
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
I'm only 3 episodes in, but HBO's Succession has been enjoyable. So far it seems well cast, written, and directed. It's about an dysfunctional, uber wealthy family who's patriarch is stepping away from the family business. It's not necessarily a binge watch for me as I find it better in 1 episode every couple day doses, which is kind of refreshing.
Two episodes into season 2 of Succession. I think it's hilarious (it's really not a comedy though) and love the characters as much as any show I can really remember. Thoroughly enjoyable and loosely based on the Murdochs.
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:33 AM 08-22-2019
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Two episodes into season 2 of Succession. I think it's hilarious (it's really not a comedy though) and love the characters as much as any show I can really remember. Thoroughly enjoyable and loosely based on the Murdochs.
Looking forward to starting season 2 this weekend. Like you, I highly enjoy the characters and find myself chuckling throughout even though it can get quite sad.
[Reply]
Page 59 of 172
« First < 9495556575859 6061626369109159 > Last »
Up