ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 53
< 12 34561252 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official gardening, landscape and yardwork thread***
loochy 08:00 AM 03-13-2017
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
Your place looks really nice Lewdog.

Last fall I decided it was time to give covering the lateral lines another shot. I brought in another dump truck load of dirt and of course they had to dump it about a hundred yards from where I needed it. It took several days of shoveling and hauling but I finally got it all spread out and reseeded in mid October.
Hey man, it looks like someone broke down in your front yard. You should go help them out.
[Reply]
HemiEd 09:24 AM 03-13-2017
Originally Posted by loochy:
Hey man, it looks like someone broke down in your front yard. You should go help them out.
My neighbors talked me into displaying "Patina" as yard art. I bought the old 50 in 1984 and got it running and driving then parked it.
[Reply]
loochy 09:30 AM 03-13-2017
My neighbors talked me into displaying "Patina" as yard art. I bought the old 50 in 1984 and got it running and driving then parked it.
You went to all the trouble to get it running just so you could park it? Sigh.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 06:42 PM 03-13-2017
Tires filled with concrete, or is it on jacks?
[Reply]
SAUTO 07:58 PM 03-13-2017
Actually that's bad assed. I've got a buddy that's got a couple old t's sitting around his place as art, in flower gardens, in his fucking coy pond.
[Reply]
2112 07:12 PM 04-08-2017
Your place looks really nice Lewdog.

Last fall I decided it was time to give covering the lateral lines another shot. I brought in another dump truck load of dirt and of course they had to dump it about a hundred yards from where I needed it. It took several days of shoveling and hauling but I finally got it all spread out and reseeded in mid October.
Use a fertilizer with a surface and subsurface insecticide to kill any chinch bugs or grubs. The time frame to apply this is in late June. I don't know about Missouri but around here the grubs hatch out and fly out as jap beetles right around 4th of July. They have sex and lay their eggs (grubs) in the same place they flew out of. Merit has a 4 month residual but has to be watered in when you use a granular. So wait until before a predicted rainfall to apply this fert around this timeframe. That will take care of your grub problem.
[Reply]
HemiEd 06:30 AM 04-10-2017
Originally Posted by D2112:
Use a fertilizer with a surface and subsurface insecticide to kill any chinch bugs or grubs. The time frame to apply this is in late June. I don't know about Missouri but around here the grubs hatch out and fly out as jap beetles right around 4th of July. They have sex and lay their eggs (grubs) in the same place they flew out of. Merit has a 4 month residual but has to be watered in when you use a granular. So wait until before a predicted rainfall to apply this fert around this timeframe. That will take care of your grub problem.
Thanks!

I was doing some planting in my garden this week and dug up a bunch of those darn grubs. They are everywhere! I have the merit ready, and it sounds like I may need to order more.

I am hesitant to put it on my garden though.
[Reply]
2112 12:41 PM 04-10-2017
Thanks!

I was doing some planting in my garden this week and dug up a bunch of those darn grubs. They are everywhere! I have the merit ready, and it sounds like I may need to order more.

I am hesitant to put it on my garden though.
Do not put it anywhere near your garden.
[Reply]
dmahurin 08:34 AM 03-13-2017
Thanks for killing my 2014 gardening thread. My best contribution to this place, gone.
[Reply]
BWillie 01:54 PM 03-14-2017
Best way to kill weeds other than roundup, pulling them manually. ?
[Reply]
loochy 02:14 PM 03-14-2017
Originally Posted by BWillie:
What kind of weeds? There are plenty of selective herbicides out there.

2,4-D took care of all of my broadleafs (dandelions, thistle, spurge, and henbit) this spring. I still have some Poa Annua and some Annual Rye since the 2,4-D doesn't kill grasses, but I'll just have to wait for the heat to kill them. I missed the window in which I can use roundup because the Bermuda is already greening.

To long term solve the weed problem, you need to spray and keep the weeds from coming to seed and keep a pre-emergent down year around for a few years.
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:35 PM 03-14-2017
What kind of weeds you rocking and what kind of residual do you want? Are you planning on reseeding or anything?
[Reply]
BWillie 03:16 PM 03-14-2017
What kind of weeds? There are plenty of selective herbicides out there.

2,4-D took care of all of my broadleafs (dandelions, thistle, spurge, and henbit) this spring. I still have some Poa Annua and some Annual Rye since the 2,4-D doesn't kill grasses, but I'll just have to wait for the heat to kill them. I missed the window in which I can use roundup because the Bermuda is already greening.

To long term solve the weed problem, you need to spray and keep the weeds from coming to seed and keep a pre-emergent down year around for a few years.
Well I have a big rock planter that runs along the back of my house. Then I have a trellis and walk way that goes along the side of my house where I do not have grass on that entire side of the home. It's just a mixture of small trees, shrubs, and natural grasses. But last summer it started to get over run by weeds and I could not control it.

The rock planter seems like it would be the easiest thing to clean up, figured I would just put weed mat down and put in new rock since no plants are in there anyway, but i can't keep up with all the weeds elsewhere. No worry in my yard area though. Just put pre emergent down and have been all good there. I've tried roundup on the weeds but it doesn't seem to kill them very well and the stuff you buy at Lowes or Home Depot doesn't go very far.
[Reply]
loochy 03:31 PM 03-14-2017
Well I have a big rock planter that runs along the back of my house. Then I have a trellis and walk way that goes along the side of my house where I do not have grass on that entire side of the home. It's just a mixture of small trees, shrubs, and natural grasses. But last summer it started to get over run by weeds and I could not control it.

The rock planter seems like it would be the easiest thing to clean up, figured I would just put weed mat down and put in new rock since no plants are in there anyway, but i can't keep up with all the weeds elsewhere. No worry in my yard area though. Just put pre emergent down and have been all good there. I've tried roundup on the weeds but it doesn't seem to kill them very well and the stuff you buy at Lowes or Home Depot doesn't go very far.
Get some glysophate (generic Roundup) concentrate and use that. You are probably using the pre-mixed name brand Roundup. The generic concentrate isn't all that expensive. A 2.5 gallon jug will cost around $50 and will do 2 acres. Smaller containers can be had, and you can even buy it at Walmart.

https://www.amazon.com/Compare-N-Sav...lysophate&th=1

Make sure you use the roundup while the weeds are actively growing. If you don't, they die VERY slowly. Generally, the hotter it is the quicker it works.

I say get a backpack tank sprayer and nuke the hell out of the area with glysophate multiple times this year. After you have it all under control, explore some grass options that will grow in the shade area and keep the weeds crowded out. Maybe rye for winter and zoysia for summer?
[Reply]
BWillie 03:46 PM 03-14-2017
Get some glysophate (generic Roundup) concentrate and use that. You are probably using the pre-mixed name brand Roundup. The generic concentrate isn't all that expensive. A 2.5 gallon jug will cost around $50 and will do 2 acres. Smaller containers can be had, and you can even buy it at Walmart.

Make sure you use the roundup while the weeds are actively growing. If you don't, they die VERY slowly. Generally, the hotter it is the quicker it works.

I say get a backpack tank sprayer and nuke the hell out of the area with glysophate multiple times this year. After you have it all under control, explore some grass options that will grow in the shade area and keep the weeds crowded out. Maybe rye for winter and zoysia for summer?
Good idea on the backpack tank, I'll look into it. I don't use it liberally enough may be my problem. I love zoysia grass, but I don't see much of it around KC. It feels like carpet when it's mature. Heard it's hard to get going though.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 53
< 12 34561252 > Last »
Up