ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 15 of 26
« First < 51112131415 1617181925 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Dropped passes
frozenchief 10:05 PM 12-05-2021
Why can’t we catch the ball? Kielce, Pringle, and Tyreek all dropped catchable passes. those drops really screwed our offensive production. Tyreek’s ‘drop’ led to an interception.

What is going on? Are Kielce and Tyreek injured? What do we do for this season? Drafting or free agency are good answers for next season, not this one. the dropped passes aren’t such an issue with Denver but come playoffs, they will be really large.

I have no idea what is going on or why this is happening now and would love to hear any comments/suggestions.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 02:20 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
Rewatching it on the broadcast, it's just little things. It's 10-3, in the 2nd quarter Chiefs have ball and 3rd and 10. OL blocks it up, Mahomes takes off and one of the OL ends up holding.

They had it blocked up fine. Stay in there, throw the football from the pocket.
Or just have an offensive line that doesn't unnecessarily hold when Mahomes is doing the very thing that makes him one of the best QBs ever.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 02:21 PM 12-06-2021
The interception was a double clutch side arm throw high across the middle. You've gotta be more accurate there.
Ball hit him directly in the hands. Catch the ball.
[Reply]
davewan 02:23 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brother:
Exactly. 8-4 and have been so sloppy all season. Baltimore NE and Tennessee gave everything to get to that mark while the Chiefs have not come close to their best ball. Scary...
I agree with this take. The Chiefs haven't played their best football, except maybe for the Raiders game when everything came together. Even against Philly and Washington, they weren't firing on all cylinders.

Thing is, this season, I think the Raiders game is the outlier and the mean is something else. In a long season, a team will have a great game or two and a total stinker or two and what happens between them is more revealing of what the team really is. The games against the Raiders and Bills or Titans probably aren't who the Chiefs are. They are somewhere between those extremes.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:24 PM 12-06-2021
We didn't give Alex Smith all these excuses. I'm not sure why Mahomes should get them.

Play better.
Uh.

In fact, that is exactly what happened.

Half this place doled out nothing BUT excuses for that guy for five years.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:28 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brother:
Exactly. 8-4 and have been so sloppy all season. Baltimore NE and Tennessee gave everything to get to that mark while the Chiefs have not come close to their best ball. Scary...
Baltimore's needed every break on the books to not be a sub-.500 team at this point in the season.

The Patriots have needed a laughably easy schedule, with 2 of their wins vs. the Jets and 1 each vs. the Panthers, Texans, Falcons and Henryless Titans. They have one quality win against the Chargers and the game where they absolutely throttled the Browns. There's a LOT of fool's gold there.

I do feel bad for the Titans, though. That team was humming and would have coasted to the #1 seed. Now they're in a dogfight but still have a schedule that may allow them to limp their way to a bye. And if they get a bye, they MIGHT get Henry back in time for their first playoff game.

Buffalo is still the team in the AFC I'm most concerned with but it's sure hard to shake a loss to the Jags when they looked as bad as they did. That was a shocker.

I think the Chiefs can lose 1 and still pass them all but man there will be a lot of 'what ifs' if the Chiefs can't get that bye.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 02:28 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Ball hit him directly in the hands. Catch the ball.
This play is the epitome of what o.city and I are talking about.

Could/should Tyreek have caught this ball? Probably. Was high and hot, but definitely catchable.

But Mahomes is at fault here too. His footwork sucked, he threw sidearm from a ridiculously clean pocket and instead of hitting Tyreek in the numbers, he sails it high.

[Reply]
Hoover 02:28 PM 12-06-2021
Tyreek and Kelce should pay Pat 10k for every dropped pass, 25k for a dropped pass that is picked off.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 02:29 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
There was a conversation last week about the Chiefs defense being 'soft' until Ingram arrived. I dunno how much merit it had - but it was an interesting discussion.

But now I'm wondering if maybe the drops aren't a result of the offense being a tick on the soft side. They're getting punched in the mouth - a LOT. Kelce's getting hit hard out there and Hill's just getting a lot of volume and taking a lot of contact in his own right. Pringle has never been asked to do this much, nor has Hardman.

Some of these drops (most of them, really) are 'focus' drops where they just don't complete the catch before they start trying to move with the ball. Could it be a 'footsteps' problem? Is Kelce just getting a little tired of getting hit? Sure looked like his drop last night had a lot to do with trying to avoid contact as he was catching it. Hill seems to be trying to be looking to get into space as he secures the ball to avoid a blow as well. And I'm pretty positive that Pringles drop was because he was sensing a hit coming.

Are some of these pass catchers just tired of getting whacked around a bit and it's impacting their focus at the catch point?
My friends and I were kinda kicking this around as well. I don’t think his drop/fumble was a result of that, but he’s been getting blasted this season. And I wonder if a few (not a lot, but a few of these in the dirt balls) are a result of Mahomes not throwing his WR into definite contact.

They have to work through this.
[Reply]
davewan 02:30 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
Sure you are Da Quix.

Your team is going to get its ass kicked tonight.

Allen will struggle in a light breeze.
Tell me, just who is my team? Who have I said is my team?
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 02:34 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:

Could/should Tyreek have caught this ball? Probably. Was high and hot, but definitely catchable.

But Mahomes is at fault here too. His footwork sucked, he threw sidearm from a ridiculously clean pocket and instead of hitting Tyreek in the numbers, he sails it high.

If you have access, show the field version of where he hit Hill (or maybe Pringle IN FULL STRIDE (might have been our second drive) and the entire side of the field was open for a race to the pylon.

This team is just stepping on its own dick time after time. Those 5 or 6 plays make or break every game.

And we had 4 holding calls, with 3 accepted? Those killed us.
[Reply]
JakeF 02:34 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Or just have an offensive line that doesn't unnecessarily hold when Mahomes is doing the very thing that makes him one of the best QBs ever.
Except Olineman are taught to get their hands inside and grab the chest plate part of the shoulder pads. That lets them maneuver the Dlinemen and keeps them from pulling away. As soon as Mahomes runs around in circles it makes the Oline "hold" when they weren't before. Trey Smith is using proper blocking technique. Mahomes is screwing that technique up.

In football, we had a word we'd yell when we had intercepted the ball. It told the defense to start blocking. I wonder if the chiefs could use something like that to prevent the holding calls. :-)
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 02:41 PM 12-06-2021

That pass probably had at least a 75% catch probability rate… just like six of the other Mahomes’ passes that resulted in INT’s this season.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 02:44 PM 12-06-2021
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
That pass probably had at least a 75% catch probability rate… just like six of the other Mahomes’ passes that resulted in INT’s this season.
I'd be curious if those numbers are actually available. My personal option is closer to 50% as it looked much more difficult at full speed than in the still.

With that said, if Mahomes sets his feet and throws over the top, he likely hits Tyreek in the numbers and the catch rate goes over 95%.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:45 PM 12-06-2021

The pocket was clean but Mahomes was trying to move to create a throwing angle. Its why he re-set and then threw it side-arm, he was trying to make sure he got it around that LB that was in that short zone and looking for a deflection.

That throw wasn't perfect but Mahomes was fine there. It has to be caught.
[Reply]
JakeF 02:46 PM 12-06-2021

He threw the ball too high and too hard. No reason to, pocket was clean. Mahomes is suffering from PTSD. Last year's poor protection made him skittish and the drops and ints this year have hurt his confidence. Andy needs to make Mahomes focus on proper fundamentals. WRs need their asses kicked about screwing up.
[Reply]
Page 15 of 26
« First < 51112131415 1617181925 > Last »
Up