ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 33
« First < 3910111213 1415161723 > Last »
Media Center>Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
Bowser 06:57 PM 04-03-2022
Maybe it's overkill having a thread for this, but meh.

[Reply]
Jamie 07:01 PM 06-19-2023
Originally Posted by Frazod:
But I agree, updating the Enterprise for a modern audience doesn't bother me.
It doesn't bother me in principal, but I think it could have been done better. There have been multiple fan-made TOS Enterprise updates that beat it I think, both in terms of respecting canon and just looking good. Case in point, this one I just came across today (more pics: 2, 3, 4, 5).
[Reply]
Frazod 06:42 AM 06-22-2023
Just finished Episode 2. Also very well done, and (as I figured it would be) very reminiscent of the classic NG episode The Measure of a Man.
[Reply]
listopencil 10:01 AM 06-22-2023
Yup. Episode Two was pretty good for what it was. It's another one of those episodes that, I think, shows usually wait to do until deeper into their run. But it's fine. I'm invested so I gobbled it up and I'm looking forward to next week.
[Reply]
JohnnyV13 04:25 PM 06-22-2023
I always have a problem with courtroom episodes b/c I get nitpicky.

For example, I have a hard time getting past all of the common law questioning conventions, which suggests Una's defense lawyer is doing a ton of argumentative stuff in her direct questioning and the prosecution makes every objection but "argumentative."

Sigh.

Really cheezy, but actually understandable. Lets the defense soapbox their argument while keeping screen time down to move along the story. I'll accept it in this episode, since overall it's a pretty decent story and I can see why they do it. I guess we can handwave a bit and say that it's a Federation trial and doesn't use common law courtroom rules.

The other thing that drives me crazy is that the defense lawyer pins her whole trial strategy based on the guess that Una was the one that turned herself in. That's called a great way to lose a case, by gambling on a fact that you don't know before you question your own witness in court.

Guess we can chalk that up to plot twist drama but...still drives me nuts because the defense lawyer is supposed to be brilliant.

Now, I'll give them points for the writer clearly understanding element analysis in legal actions (which is how they end up resolving the case). Of course, the way that supposed Federation law is written is the court COULD find in Una's favor rather than being compelled to do so, but OK. Decent enough.

On to the next episode where I'm not going to be nitpicky and have as many problems with my suspension of disbelief. Being the dork that keeps saying "he's got it up his sleeve" to the stage magician, isn't really all that fun.
[Reply]
Frazod 09:31 AM 06-29-2023
Watched the latest episode. Another save the present by unfucking the past deal. Definitely a mixed bag, not nearly as good as the first two. The good was strong performances from the actors who play Kirk and Noonien-Singh. The bad was a silly, ham-fisted story with gaping plot holes that also really seemed to take a hard shit on some established canon. Perhaps a second viewing would clear things up a bit, but in this case I think it would only serve to piss me off.

Anyway, I guess they can't all be great.
[Reply]
007 06:53 PM 06-29-2023
Watched the latest episode. Another save the present by unfucking the past deal. Definitely a mixed bag, not nearly as good as the first two. The good was strong performances from the actors who play Kirk and Noonien-Singh. The bad was a silly, ham-fisted story with gaping plot holes that also really seemed to take a hard shit on some established canon. Perhaps a second viewing would clear things up a bit, but in this case I think it would only serve to piss me off.

Lighten up Francis
[Reply]
KC_Connection 11:23 PM 06-29-2023
I liked it, some significant character development for La’an and a way to get Kirk more involved in the series going forward. Enjoyed all the Toronto references/scenes too.
[Reply]
listopencil 11:30 PM 06-29-2023
Immediate impression: Damn. This isn't just really good Star Trek. This is really good TV.
[Reply]
listopencil 11:42 PM 06-29-2023

This episode made me feel more like this actor is this version of James T. Kirk and it helped flesh out Noonien-Singh a bit - who is a veritable well of possible interesting story lines. Also I appreciate it when the time travel section of the Federation(?) shows up as I haven't seen it much in movies or on TV. And there really is a rich history (lol) in the Star Trek franchise of temporal fuck ups with alternate time lines. I enjoyed it. I mean...I know it's not as good as Spock's Brain from TOS but what could top that height of artictic expression, right?
[Reply]
listopencil 11:45 PM 06-29-2023
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
I liked it, some significant character development for La’an and a way to get Kirk more involved in the series going forward. Enjoyed all the Toronto references/scenes too.
I was disappointed in how un-Kirk the guy was when he first showed up on the series. This was better. He was still a bit soft, but he was hanging out with a hot chick so I'd forgive that to a degree.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 11:46 PM 06-29-2023

I felt this way to start the show, but IMHO it really played out incredibly well. It may be in part to my having read the Time War series by Simon Hawke as a kid. So the episode really fit nicely into that series and was a bit like getting one of those novels in TV form.

The performances of the actors was amazing and despite my not wanting to like the episode once I realized where it was going, it turned out amazing.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:20 AM 06-30-2023
Anson Mount is Christopher Pike.

Problem being Paul Wesley looks too much like Jeffrey Hunter to be James T. Kirk..
[Reply]
listopencil 11:45 AM 06-30-2023
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Anson Mount is Christopher Pike.

Problem being Paul Wesley looks too much like Jeffrey Hunter to be James T. Kirk..
Wait until Michael Burnham shows up in the season finale and we find out that this is an alternate universe that must be destroyed.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 12:15 PM 06-30-2023
Worst episode of SNW to date... even if we ignore the time travel stuff which is my second most hated Trek concept after the Mirror Universe. This could have been an episode of Discovery and it still would have ranked among their worst as well.

The unceasing number of plot holes in the first half of the episode took me so far out of the show that I honestly gave no fucks about how it got wrapped up. The absolute callousness of the SF Temporal Agency is so anti-federation it hurts. This episode moved absolutely nothing forward. La'an is basically the actual ST version of these two put together...

but somehow worse. That character has all the charisma of recycled cardboard.

Pelia salvaged the episode from being "The Child (TNG)" levels bad.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 01:11 PM 06-30-2023
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
This could have been an episode of Discovery and it still would have ranked among their worst as well.
There's overstating for effect and then there's this.
[Reply]
Page 13 of 33
« First < 3910111213 1415161723 > Last »
Up