ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 295 of 361
« First < 195245285291292293294295 296297298299305345 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Donger 11:49 AM 08-02-2021
Looks like about six (?) Raptors on BN3?

[Reply]
unlurking 11:51 AM 08-02-2021
Originally Posted by Donger:
Looks like about six (?) Raptors on BN3?

29 and BN4, and cool, they painted the gridfins!
[Reply]
unlurking 11:52 AM 08-02-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
While Starship is obviously the most exciting thing going on right now, ULA/Boeing are finally going to try again for their ISS-bound test tomorrow. Fingers crossed nothing else goes wrong.

Personally I hope SH and SS are stacked on the OLT before the Starliner launch. Nice backdrop to put ULA/BOEING/SLA into perspective while they're getting press coverage. At the same time, I hope the Starliner mission is a huge success.
[Reply]
Donger 11:53 AM 08-02-2021
Originally Posted by unlurking:
29, and cool, they painted the gridfins!
Oh wow:

[Reply]
unlurking 11:55 AM 08-02-2021
Oh wow:

I am so excited just to see a test fire, let alone an actual launch!!!
[Reply]
Donger 11:56 AM 08-02-2021
I take it that not all of the Raptors are going to gimbal?
[Reply]
DaFace 11:58 AM 08-02-2021
Correct. I believe the outer ring are all fixed, and the inner engines are the one doing the gimbaling.
[Reply]
Donger 11:59 AM 08-02-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Correct. I believe the outer ring are all fixed, and the inner engines are the one doing the gimbaling.
Yep, just found this:

Final decision made earlier this week on booster engine count. Will be 33 at ~230 (half million lbs) sea-level thrust. All engines on booster are same, apart from deleting gimbal & thrust vector actuators for outer 20.

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) July 11, 2021

[Reply]
unlurking 12:01 PM 08-02-2021
They recently celebrated the 100th roll-off of a completed Raptor engine, and also eliminated the gimbal / non-gimbal variants. They'll be churning these things out insanely fast I imagine. Well, insanely fast for a rocket engine.

Hey Jeff, wen BE-4? :P

EDIT:

[Reply]
MagicHef 12:01 PM 08-02-2021
Last I heard (Musk tweet), the inner 13 gimbal and the outer 20 do not.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 12:54 PM 08-02-2021
So a question for those who know more about this:

Mars has almost no atmosphere and an explosive decompression is always a moment away? How do you colonize that kind of environment? One defect or stress can result in everyone dying pretty quickly, no?
[Reply]
Donger 12:58 PM 08-02-2021
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:

Mars has almost no atmosphere and an explosive decompression is always a moment away? How do you colonize that kind of environment? One defect or stress can result in everyone dying pretty quickly, no?

[Reply]
unlurking 01:04 PM 08-02-2021
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:

In all seriousness, I think they've had a LOT of experience with ISS and "explosive" decompression is mostly a movie thing. IIRC, the ISS is currently losing 1lb a day of atmosphere through leaks. A recent Soyouz was found to have a hole rooted in a manufacturing mistake. The spacecraft survived launch and docking with the hole. Leaking atmosphere is just life in space.

EDIT: References...
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2018...airs-continue/

Couldn't find the 1lb per day loss I mentioned, but assuming my Duck-Fu is just not strong today, but there has been a known leak for a year...
"The air leak in the Zvezda module, which provides living quarters for crew members and life support systems, was detected last year. It poses no danger to the crew but persists despite attempts to fix it by sealing cracks."
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...le-2021-07-31/
[Reply]
Donger 01:05 PM 08-02-2021
But yes, people would have to live in pressurized environments. The pressure on Mars is something like .09 PSI and on Earth it's 14.7 PSI. Quite a delta P although I'd imagine that we wouldn't pressurize at 14.7 on Mars.

And, after a while, there would be a large volume of air in that environment, so there'd be some time before the Martians would be sucking Mars' atmosphere.
[Reply]
unlurking 01:46 PM 08-02-2021
TPS install is also moving quickly, although it looks like they've been having issues with the curves on the nosecone section...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhJRzQsLZGg
[Reply]
Page 295 of 361
« First < 195245285291292293294295 296297298299305345 > Last »
Up