View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 17 of 343
« First < 71314151617 181920212767117 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
-King- 10:18 AM 05-28-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
It forced Mahomes to change his style of play by not drifting too deep in the pocket and stepping up

I’m not sure why that’s a bad thing?
Because I'd rather Mahomes learn and improve naturally instead of being forced to change due to a player having a glaring weakness that might get him killed.
[Reply]
Halfcan 10:24 AM 05-28-2022
It forced Mahomes to change his style of play by not drifting too deep in the pocket and stepping up

I’m not sure why that’s a bad thing?
Yep, thank goodness too- Mahomes only threw for 50 TD's and over 5,000 yards drifting around.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:29 AM 05-28-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I'm sticking with the unpopular opinion, no ****ing way would I sign OBJ to a top LT contract. He's a solid player and a guy KC should look to re-sign, but not at that price. If a deal couldn't get done that's more reasonable and he wouldn't play on the tag because of it, I'd trade him and start Christian there and go pick up Lamm as a swing tackle or something. It's a strong LT draft next year and if I pigeonhole myself into taking one in round 1, oh well.

Of course, Chiefs will probably do it and I'll mope about it for a while and get over it.
So... where is that line for you? What constitutes a "top" LT contract?
[Reply]
O.city 10:32 AM 05-28-2022
Originally Posted by -King-:
Because I'd rather Mahomes learn and improve naturally instead of being forced to change due to a player having a glaring weakness that might get him killed.
What’s the glaring weakness though? He gets beat by speed rushers deeper? I mean I’m pretty sure if a speed rusher had to beat trent Williams deeper than his set he’d struggle too.

Mitch Schwartz talked about it a lot and how they have certain points and if the qb drops deeper than that, it’s on him.
[Reply]
O.city 10:33 AM 05-28-2022
If you guys remember in 2020, Mahomes did the same thing and got beat up A lot for it
[Reply]
Halfcan 10:39 AM 05-28-2022
Mahomes and Kelce are future HOFers and the Best at their position, but still don't make top money.

Why should Brown expect to be paid like the Best when he is clearly not?

If he won't take a "team friendly" deal to play with Mahomes and win championships- you tag him, then trade him next year for draft picks.
[Reply]
-King- 10:50 AM 05-28-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
It’s already been pointed out that Christian Darrisaw is the only LT anywhere near the range for us the last 5 drafts.

So your plan is to trade Brown Jr and then do a Patrick Mahomes like trade up of multiple 1st rd picks (probably more) to move into the top 10-15 range for a LT?
Darrisaw was the 23rd pick. Why would we need a Mahomes like trade up to move up to 23 no matter where we were trading from?
[Reply]
-King- 10:52 AM 05-28-2022
What’s the glaring weakness though? He gets beat by speed rushers deeper? I mean I’m pretty sure if a speed rusher had to beat trent Williams deeper than his set he’d struggle too.

Mitch Schwartz talked about it a lot and how they have certain points and if the qb drops deeper than that, it’s on him.
Fisher didn't have nowhere near the problems with speed rushers that Orlando does. That's why it wasn't such a big deal when Mahomes drifted back. It was a bad habit, but not something you were TOO worried about. Now if he drifts back, it is a big problem.
[Reply]
BossChief 10:59 AM 05-28-2022
Fisher didn't have nowhere near the problems with speed rushers that Orlando does. That's why it wasn't such a big deal when Mahomes drifted back. It was a bad habit, but not something you were TOO worried about. Now if he drifts back, it is a big problem.
Power rushers would drive Fisher straight back into Mahomes. Brown doesn’t give up ground to those guys as easily and his job against speed is to push them wide and allow Pat to step up.

You talk as if Fisher didn’t struggle to pass protect when he got beat many times…just in different ways.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:23 AM 05-28-2022
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Power rushers would drive Fisher straight back into Mahomes. Brown doesn’t give up ground to those guys as easily and his job against speed is to push them wide and allow Pat to step up.

You talk as if Fisher didn’t struggle to pass protect when he got beat many times…just in different ways.
He’s fucking clueless.
[Reply]
Bowser 11:26 AM 05-28-2022
Here's the other part - left tackle is a premium position in the league. QB, LT, pass rusher....those are the positions you're going to have to pay. If we don't pony up for Brown (and I'm not necessarily advocating for that just yet), the alternative is to drop a first rounder on a left tackle once every four years or so. Is that a plan we'd be good with just to avoid being strapped to a player that isn't a sure-fire HoF'er but can be solid and fill his position?
[Reply]
RunKC 11:27 AM 05-28-2022
Darrisaw was the 23rd pick. Why would we need a Mahomes like trade up to move up to 23 no matter where we were trading from?
He’s the only LT of the last 5 years to be a quality and be a first rd pick drafted not in the top 15.

One time. In 5 years.

That’s called an outlier
[Reply]
Hoover 11:28 AM 05-28-2022
As mentioned before, the structure of it matters more than the price tag.

I wouldn't think twice, I'd just pay Brown Jr.

I don't really understand those who don't want to pay him. Where are we going to pour those extra dollars we would save? The truth of the matter is that tagging him and then letting him walk only creates a giant hole on the left side of the Oline when Pat is in his prime. Fuck, people bitched about paying Fisher. And OK lets say we tag him then let him walk we are going to be praying for a LT to fall in the draft? Thats way risky. And what would Veach have to do, pay someone who doesn't have the upside that brown does on the free market.

I mean Cam Robinson just signed a 3 year 54 Million dollar extension with Jacksonville. Thats the shit we would be looking for if we are stupid with Brown.

What I love about Brown is that he is driven to be the best, talks about wanting to be in the HOF, and winning Super Bowls. We can afford to pay the guy for the next 3-4 seasons with no problem. Just do it.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 11:50 AM 05-28-2022
Well if the center of the OL was suspect, if Fisher was liable to being bull rushed, and if Mahomes was great throwing off his back foot while drifting backwards, why was it really a "bad habit"?

I get that there are elite speed rushers out there that most LT's struggle with. But a speed rusher that gets a pretty clean bend around the edge is usually going to show up more quickly and be more likely to cause a fumble or an injury than a bull rush that pushes a tackle into the QB's lap, no?

And it is annoying to pay elite money for a LT who is more elite at run blocking than pass blocking.

I get the nervousness about trying to find a replacement. But it would seem like if KC is willing to open up the checkbook and make someone the highest paid LT (even if only briefly) they ought to be able to lure an LT to KC that has elite pass blocking skills.

On the other hand, if Brown is willing to settle for less than elite money, yea great sign him.

And I guess I would be more nervous about locking Brown up for a long time. If the headline figure is large, but KC has an out, that is also a different story.
[Reply]
BWillie 11:53 AM 05-28-2022
Don't pay him. For the love of god please don't pay him.
[Reply]
Page 17 of 343
« First < 71314151617 181920212767117 > Last »
Up