ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Downtown breweries any good?
wheeler08 05:04 PM 01-25-2022
I searched because I would have assumed this has been discussed, but results came up empty. Are the breweries downtown or anything in power and light district any good? Wife and are driving 11 hours Saturday and we love to hit up local breweries when coming to a new town. Yelp has great reviews for about all of them downtown. Thought I’d ask the planeteers their opinion!

Opinions on best places to eat in same area?
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 05:10 PM 01-25-2022
I always liked Double Shift Brewing Company that was across the street from Grinders. You can get some food at Grinders and then do a little brewery walking tour in the same area.
[Reply]
KCUnited 05:12 PM 01-25-2022
Pretty much what I hit when in town.

Downtown:
City Barrel
Torn Label (around corner from City Barrel)

Somewhat outside of downtown:
Alma Mader (just down from BLVD on SWBLVD)
BKS
KC Bier Co

EDIT: I've never eaten at City Barrel but their menu/social media posts of their menu always look great
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 05:15 PM 01-25-2022
Torn Label and Alma Mader are the two best in the Downtown-ish area, IMO.

As far as places with good beer selections, Taps on Main and Oak And Steel are good choices.

As far as food, Jack Stack is in the Freight House at Union Station, Q39 is a short drive, and Buffalo State Pizza Company is great.
[Reply]
wheeler08 05:21 PM 01-25-2022
Awesome! I seen Torn Label on the map.
[Reply]
KCUnited 05:22 PM 01-25-2022
The Peanut downtown have the best wings you may ever have, but when I was there in November it was over an hour wait due to staff shortages.

Beer selection sucks but the wings are legit.

Pro tip: if you hit The Peanut for wings, they're whole, so 6 is 12 at low quality places

[Reply]
phisherman 05:28 PM 01-25-2022
Strange Days is also really, really good. Since they recruited a new head brewer/ownership partner, the quality is through the roof and I think they're a top 5 spot now. It's down by the City Market area, just a stone's throw really from downtown.

Crossroads Art District has Emperial, City Barrel, Torn Label and a few others that are decent. The best food/beer spot around there is definitely City Barrel but it can get spendy (food is top notch though). I'm a bit biased though as I've spent a lot of time helping that business since they started to build out that space over three years ago. The owners are good dudes that care about putting out great beer and creating a fun experience. I don't always like the way that they market but they still sell a ton of beer.

Alma Mader and Boulevard are both a bit west of that area on Southwest Boulevard. Alma Mader is probably my favorite down in the city currently. Nick just doesn't brew bad beers. Boulevard is fun too; their bier hall has a lot of taps and they generally have quite a few Test beers on tap.
[Reply]
stevieray 05:28 PM 01-25-2022
Cinder Block, Outlaw Cigar & Brewery and Big Rip in the Northland. All three in close proximity.

Brewery Emperial down by the Art district.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 05:32 PM 01-25-2022
Originally Posted by stevieray:
....Brewery Emperial down by the Art district.
That was going to be my answer.
[Reply]
Molitoth 06:21 PM 01-25-2022
As far as quality of BEER outside of Boulevard.... Brewery Emperial.

Disclaimer: I've not tried Alma Mader.
[Reply]
stanleychief 06:25 PM 01-25-2022
Cinder Block is amazing if you like barrel aged beers. They had three of them on tap last weekend. They have also collaborated with 610 sports to create Il Padrone, which is an Italian pilsner, for the Chiefs playoff run. If you want something unique, try one of their ciders. Cinder Block is 3.2 miles from Power and Light district in downtown KC.
Website

Another great place that's close by, had a grand re-opening last weekend. Callsign Brewing is a veteran owned brewery that just moved into a larger building. Last Saturday, they had BBQ and live music. It might be worth checking them out as well. It looks like their website is having issues, but the new address is 1340 Burlington St, North Kansas City, MO.

There are two other breweries over in that vicinity, Calibration and Big Rip. Neither are my cup of tea, but both are within a mile or two. Chappell's is also very close by and worth a look if you are into sports memorabilia. It's a restaurant and a sports museum.
[Reply]
Marcellus 06:31 PM 01-25-2022
Originally Posted by KCUnited:

Downtown:
City Barrel

BKS
KC Bier Co

EDIT: I've never eaten at City Barrel but their menu/social media posts of their menu always look great
Food at City Barrel is really good.
[Reply]
stanleychief 06:55 PM 01-25-2022
Originally Posted by Molitoth:
As far as quality of BEER outside of Boulevard.... Brewery Emperial.

Disclaimer: I've not tried Alma Mader.
Brewery Emperial is indeed good, but, they only have outdoor seating right now. They have fire pits, but if there's any sort of a breeze, you're going to be freezing! I do love me some Ursa Major though. I'm sure they've sold through it by now.
[Reply]
Bearcat 06:57 PM 01-25-2022
Originally Posted by KCUnited:

Downtown:
City Barrel

BKS
KC Bier Co

Looks like City Barrel might be worth a try, re: big stouts?

And I really like the selection at Oak and Steel, plus you can play What do you Meme.
[Reply]
stevieray 06:59 PM 01-25-2022
Tim Barnett and Neil Smith were at Outlaw today.

They have two DECIBEL UP brews & stogies, light and dark.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up