ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Nzoner's Game Room>Frig ice maker
Holladay 12:29 AM 12-02-2020
The frig is not making ice. Over Thanksgiving, my Mom used a lot of ice for tea. I think she used what was left in the hopper. So I don't know how long it hasn't worked.

I saw a notification, on the frig, that the water filter needed to be changed a week before. It has happened before and figured I had a week to replace it.

So, after Thanksgiving, I changed the filter and no ice. I forgot to bleed the system of air in the system. I ran through 2+ gallons on the water supply side, which did have air, and thought the problem solved but still no ice. I thought that the line was possibly frozen, so cut the power and left the doors open for half a day.

The water dispenser still works ie. ran 2+ gallons to get the air out, but the ice maker doesn't fill up with water to make ice.

I am clueless. I get water to fill a glass, but no water into the ice maker???

Thoughts.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:59 PM 05-12-2021
Originally Posted by Eureka:
In no way did I suggest you buy new appliances. I just stated that newer appliances are more energy efficient. Thus I said trade off of your higher PG&E bill vs newer appliances.

I also said “who’s to say how much” difference in cost. Could be 5$ could be $100 a month. You have mentioned you’re CA PG&E costs are high. NO?

Also, PG&E in the early nineties pushed people to switch to gas dryers because they were way cheaper to operate then slowly raised the price of gas over the years. They are cheaper to run still but not by as much as you think. Gas dryers usually cost $100 more new vs electric. Your family probably does a lot of laundry so it’s worth going gas.
My LA DWP bill for December 2020 to January 2021 was $587 dollars. That's for water, power and trash.

My LA DWP bill for July/August 2020 and September/October 2020 were $1,685+ dollars for each two month period.

My electricity issues lie with the 2008 10 ton AC unit on my roof and not the electric refrigerator, dishwasher, washing machine and microwave appliances. I've only ever owned a gas water heater and gas dryer in California.

Fortunately, I'll begin getting bids next week to Zone the house (which is going to be a massive PITA) and replace the current 10 ton unit with a two 5 ton units. I am so over paying $850+ a month for electricity during the summer months.
[Reply]
Eureka 11:53 PM 05-12-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
My LA DWP bill for December 2020 to January 2021 was $587 dollars. That's for water, power and trash.

My LA DWP bill for July/August 2020 and September/October 2020 were $1,685+ dollars for each two month period.

My electricity issues lie with the 2008 10 ton AC unit on my roof and not the electric refrigerator, dishwasher, washing machine and microwave appliances. I've only ever owned a gas water heater and gas dryer in California.

Fortunately, I'll begin getting bids next week to Zone the house (which is going to be a massive PITA) and replace the current 10 ton unit with a two 5 ton units. I am so over paying $850+ a month for electricity during the summer months.
That PG&E bill seems like it's on the higher side for residential. I feel for ya. Here in the Bay Area for my Condo I pay $235 average monthly. Would solar panels help you?
[Reply]
Eureka 11:57 PM 05-12-2021
Originally Posted by TinyEvel:
Our LG fridge made in January 2018 won’t get cold. All food ruined. Piece of crap. Needs new compressor
The compressor is most likely covered for 5 years possibly 10. At least the part is. Try calling LG and find out if the compressor is covered.

Labor is somewhere around 80% of the cost to replace the compressor. Maybe, your handy enough to watch a YouTube video and replace it yourself. :-)

Quick google search says LG covers the compressor and labor for 5 years.
[Reply]
TinyEvel 12:34 AM 05-13-2021
The compressor is most likely covered for 5 years possibly 10. At least the part is. Try calling LG and find out if the compressor is covered.

Labor is somewhere around 80% of the cost to replace the compressor. Maybe, your handy enough to watch a YouTube video and replace it yourself. :-)

Quick google search says LG covers the compressor and labor for 5 years.
Even if we didn't buy it? We purchased the home 9 months ago and have a Home Shield Home Warranty that covers it (don't get me started about these home warranties)
The guy they authorized to come see it is an hour away. And it's not like I live in a rural area. He wants me to call them tomorrow to get a travel fee authorized or find a closer person. Even with that it will be until Wednesday before he can fix it. A week minimum with no fridge. Weakness.

(EDIT: LG factory warranty needs proof of purchase. I am S.O.L.)
[Reply]
btlook1 06:23 AM 05-13-2021
LG? I have read that most are not good! There is a facebook group for the samsung fridges maybe there is one for the LG's? Samsung is dicking around hundreds of people after making sub par fridges. I would never buy a samsung appliance again after reading what dicks they are.....I read somewhere that LG is almost as bad.
[Reply]
scho63 09:57 AM 05-13-2021
What's friggin goin on?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:21 AM 05-13-2021
That PG&E bill seems like it's on the higher side for residential. I feel for ya. Here in the Bay Area for my Condo I pay $235 average monthly. Would solar panels help you?
Dude, we do not have PG&E in SoCal.

In Los Angeles, you’re either assigned to SoCal Edison or the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power and I’m a LADWP customer.

I do not have an attic so all of my ducts are exposed on the roof. Unfortunately, solar panels cannot be placed within 3 feet of any structure so solar isn’t an option.

DWP’s rates have slowly increased over the years but my AC unit is the problem because not only is it old, it uses a refrigerant that is at least 5x the cost of the current refrigerant used in CA AC units. The fact that the the builder broke city code doesn’t help, either, because any home over 2,600 feet in LA County is supposed to have two AC units but mine has one.

Once I have the home zoned while running two efficient 5 ton units, I expect the summer bills to decrease considerably.
[Reply]
Eureka 12:56 PM 05-13-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Dude, we do not have PG&E in SoCal.

In Los Angeles, you’re either assigned to SoCal Edison or the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power and I’m a LADWP customer.

I do not have an attic so all of my ducts are exposed on the roof. Unfortunately, solar panels cannot be placed within 3 feet of any structure so solar isn’t an option.

DWP’s rates have slowly increased over the years but my AC unit is the problem because not only is it old, it uses a refrigerant that is at least 5x the cost of the current refrigerant used in CA AC units. The fact that the the builder broke city code doesn’t help, either, because any home over 2,600 feet in LA County is supposed to have two AC units but mine has one.

Once I have the home zoned while running two efficient 5 ton units, I expect the summer bills to decrease considerably.
Seems like solar panels on your roof covering your vents versus the sun heating up your vents would very helpful. I'm sure there is a good reason for code being that way with the 3 feet rule.

Nice to hear the bills will be coming down. Most people are experiencing the opposite.
[Reply]
Eureka 01:04 PM 05-13-2021
Originally Posted by TinyEvel:
Even if we didn't buy it? We purchased the home 9 months ago and have a Home Shield Home Warranty that covers it (don't get me started about these home warranties)
The guy they authorized to come see it is an hour away. And it's not like I live in a rural area. He wants me to call them tomorrow to get a travel fee authorized or find a closer person. Even with that it will be until Wednesday before he can fix it. A week minimum with no fridge. Weakness.

(EDIT: LG factory warranty needs proof of purchase. I am S.O.L.)
Hopefully that home warranty company will fix it. I'll throw out a few options as I used to work in the business

1. Have it fixed and suffer through having no fridge for quite some time.

2. Do number 1 but purchase a small fridge for the garage to use in the mean time and then you can use that over the years as more fridge space.

3. Cut your loses and go buy new. I'd recommend Kitchen Aid or Maytag (same company). If you can find a mom and pop store and ask them to price match. They'll probably service what they sell. Then consider purchasing the extended warranty.

Good luck.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Up