ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Frig ice maker
Holladay 12:29 AM 12-02-2020
The frig is not making ice. Over Thanksgiving, my Mom used a lot of ice for tea. I think she used what was left in the hopper. So I don't know how long it hasn't worked.

I saw a notification, on the frig, that the water filter needed to be changed a week before. It has happened before and figured I had a week to replace it.

So, after Thanksgiving, I changed the filter and no ice. I forgot to bleed the system of air in the system. I ran through 2+ gallons on the water supply side, which did have air, and thought the problem solved but still no ice. I thought that the line was possibly frozen, so cut the power and left the doors open for half a day.

The water dispenser still works ie. ran 2+ gallons to get the air out, but the ice maker doesn't fill up with water to make ice.

I am clueless. I get water to fill a glass, but no water into the ice maker???

Thoughts.
[Reply]
Bugeater 10:42 PM 12-02-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
We did last year as well.

Replaced icemaker already.

:-)
Our ice maker has been rock solid so far!

(It's not hooked up,and likely never will be)
[Reply]
Eureka 10:48 PM 12-02-2020
I worked in the industry for a bit. I think Kitchen Aid is the best brand for fridges or a whole new kitchen. WP aka Whirlpool is the main brand and they also make Maytag, Kitchen Aid, Amana, Jenn-Air.

LG and Samsung fridges have hip features but can have issues. I’d basically tell people they have to buy the extended warranty.

Electrolux and Frigidaire are in bed together. They make decent stuff. If you like their products there OK to buy. Have some cool features.
[Reply]
Eureka 11:01 PM 12-02-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
They're all Energy Star appliances and I received rebates from the state of California for every appliance in my home.

If you're suggesting that I drop $15k every few years on a refrigerator, washer, trash compactor and dishwasher so that my power bill is lowered by a few dollars a month, well, that ain't happening.

I have a gas dryer and wouldn't even think of going electric.
In no way did I suggest you buy new appliances. I just stated that newer appliances are more energy efficient. Thus I said trade off of your higher PG&E bill vs newer appliances.

I also said “who’s to say how much” difference in cost. Could be 5$ could be $100 a month. You have mentioned you’re CA PG&E costs are high. NO?

Also, PG&E in the early nineties pushed people to switch to gas dryers because they were way cheaper to operate then slowly raised the price of gas over the years. They are cheaper to run still but not by as much as you think. Gas dryers usually cost $100 more new vs electric. Your family probably does a lot of laundry so it’s worth going gas.
[Reply]
Bugeater 12:00 AM 12-03-2020
Originally Posted by Eureka:
I worked in the industry for a bit. I think Kitchen Aid is the best brand for fridges or a whole new kitchen. WP aka Whirlpool is the main brand and they also make Maytag, Kitchen Aid, Amana, Jenn-Air.

LG and Samsung fridges have hip features but can have issues. I’d basically tell people they have to buy the extended warranty.

Electrolux and Frigidaire are in bed together. They make decent stuff. If you like their products there OK to buy. Have some cool features.
Frigidaire...heh...they are generally pretty reliable but holy shit the way some of their stuff is designed makes them an unnecessary pain in the ass to work on. I recently installed one of their dishwashers and the junction box for the electrical hook ups was higher than normal and behind the bottom edge of the door. I couldn't see it and have my hands on it at the same time and pretty much had to wire it up by feel. Definitely not a good brand for DIYers.
[Reply]
TinyEvel 07:14 PM 05-12-2021
Our LG fridge made in January 2018 won’t get cold. All food ruined. Piece of crap. Needs new compressor
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 07:31 PM 05-12-2021
100% of all ice makers will break prematurely. They are the biggest piece of shit appliances (and/or component of a major appliance) of all time. Nothing comes close.
[Reply]
Holladay 07:44 PM 05-12-2021
I ended getting a repair man out to the house. The circuit board was shot. It cost me ~$250 round trip to get it fixed vs $1500 for a new frig.

I had done all the google trouble shooting thus I knew it wasn't a simple, make sure there wasn't an ice dam in the freezer problem.

Originally Posted by :
100% of all ice makers will break prematurely.
Agreed.

If you are needing a new compressor, me thinks you are screwed for a machine that is "only" 3 years old.
[Reply]
Stewie 07:47 PM 05-12-2021
I feel for you guys. I have a Whirlpool from the 90s that still works like a champ and makes ice nonstop when needed.
[Reply]
Holladay 07:57 PM 05-12-2021
Googled best frigs:

GE Profile Series French-Door Refrigerator

Best Value Refrigerator: Maytag Wide French Door Refrigerator
[Reply]
Holladay 07:58 PM 05-12-2021
I thought we had a expert on CP for appliances. Name escapes me.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 07:59 PM 05-12-2021
Originally Posted by Stewie:
I feel for you guys. I have a Whirlpool from the 90s that still works like a champ and makes ice nonstop when needed.
I have a GE purchased in 1996. Giant ice maker hopper. Holds at least 7 lbs of ice. Two years ago it started leaking because it had made so much ice a tiny hole wore through where the cubes are made. I replaced it with a new one I bought online.

I might cry when the fridge finally gives out.
[Reply]
Otter 07:59 PM 05-12-2021
$2 each and available in 3 different colors.

https://www.target.com/p/plastic-ice...8&gclsrc=3p.ds
[Reply]
Holladay 08:01 PM 05-12-2021
Originally Posted by :
That is when they made them without the thought of "designed obsolescence.'

They might not be the best energy efficiency, but work like a horse.
[Reply]
Holladay 08:02 PM 05-12-2021
A thought, when the frig/freezer does die, they can be a great "storage" closet in the garage or barn.
[Reply]
ptlyon 08:30 PM 05-12-2021
Originally Posted by Holladay:
That is when they made them without the thought of "designed obsolescence.'

They might not be the best energy efficiency, but work like a horse.
This is true. Last spring I lost my fridge when it started to act up after forgetting to close the door and leaving out of town for the weekend. I bought it with the house in 98 and worked like a top. The salesman forewarned me that if you get one to last 6 years nowadays you'd be doing good.

Fuck.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up