ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Nzoner's Game Room>You're the DC...How Do You Stop The Bradys?
petegz28 08:55 PM 01-17-2019
So what's your arm chair call on stopping the Pats offense?

I put Sorenson on White whenever he is in.
Play 8-9 in the box
Flood the 5-15 yard zones
Make Brady have to throw deep

In other words, I think you play Brady like you would Alex Smith.....ironic, I know
[Reply]
T-post Tom 07:24 AM 01-18-2019
Hope Sutton moves Houston around a bit on the line, but keeps him out of pass coverage. Would like to see a few corner and safety blitzes. If Berry looks slow, then he needs to be on a limited snap count. Keep Brady off balance. Jones will be balling and big-dicking the O line. Expect a few batted passes and at least 1 sack from him.
[Reply]
Amnorix 07:48 AM 01-18-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Pretty much what Amnorix said.

Big thing is, don't fuck up.

Actually, this is a big part of it also. The Patriots do the best job at consistently playing mistake free football. They have dominated the turnover battle for years, are consistently among the top teams in fewest penalties, and try hard to prevent big plays (Chiefs have been unusually successful at it against them).

If you shoot yourself in the foot over and over again with turnovers and/or penalties, you will make a very difficult job nearly impossible.
[Reply]
Amnorix 07:51 AM 01-18-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:
Tom Brady
Tom always knows where the blitz is coming from. You can’t trick him. We’d get to the line and I’d be coming on a blitz, and before the snap he’d yell, “Blue 32 … Blue 32 … Ware! Ware! Ware!” And he’d point right at me.

I’d be like, How does he know I’m coming?

The keys to Tom’s game are recognizing the blitz and getting the ball out of his hands quickly. You rarely see him hold onto the ball.

The way to beat Tom Brady is to hit him. As many times as you can, hit him. And even then, it might not be enough. In the AFC Championship Game a couple of years ago, we sacked Tom four times and we hit him 20 times.

Twenty times.

The thing was, every time we hit him, he got back up. We hit Tom more times than any quarterback had been hit in any game that season, and he still had his team a two-point conversion away from tying the game late in the fourth quarter. The dude is relentless.

Everybody knows what Tom Brady can do with the football. He has great arm strength. He’s accurate. He throws a great deep ball.

But he can also take a hit.

Like, 20 of them.
Only reason we needed the damn 2 point conversion was because Ghost missed his first PAT ever. :-)

Brady's toughness is massively, MASSIVELY underrated. He has NEVER missed a game other than his ACL year. Think about that for a second.
[Reply]
T-post Tom 08:03 AM 01-18-2019
Originally Posted by Amnorix:
Only reason we needed the damn 2 point conversion was because Ghost missed his first PAT ever. :-)

Brady's toughness is massively, MASSIVELY underrated. He has NEVER missed a game other than his ACL year. Think about that for a second.
So basically we need to tear his ACL again? :-)
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 08:07 AM 01-18-2019
The first thing you should do is jam his receivers. Alot of teams don't and I will never, ever understand that.

If you can drop 7 and bring pressure with just 4 that is a pretty darn good formula. Bringing pressure by blitzing is not likely to work out well.

You need to account for the RBs leaking into the flat somehow. Every rusher should absolutely divert their rush to pound the crap out of a RB if they have the chance.

After those key items, I think it's just executing good fundamental defense. Man typically works better than zone against the Pats, IF YOU CAN COVER with man and IF YOU CAN STOP THE RUN without necessarily needing alot of DB help.

And let's face it -- if this shit were easy, the Brady and the Patriots wouldn't have dominated the NFL for the last two freaking decades. You don't really need to STOP the Patriots though -- you just need to outscore them. The Chiefs offense WILL score points -- just make sure your defense keeps the Patriots from scoring more.
Yup. I think that's why Suttons defense has had such success against pocket qbs. Relative to the league at least. He's never stopped Brady but he's frustrated him. When Brady holds onto the ball too long, he gets really flustered.

The difference is this year we can jam and bring pressure. It seems the NFL has laid off a bit on D holding the second half of the season. But you just never know. I think a lot of teams don't jam receivers because they're scared of getting flagged. I fear (or maybe hope) the refs will play a big role this sunday
[Reply]
bobbything 08:15 AM 01-18-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Yep.

If I'm the DC, I calling Bob Sutton and having him give me his game plan. A lot of 3 and 4-man rushes. Dropping OLB's into coverage.

People hate it but it works.
I’m having flashbacks to our playoff game in NE a few years ago. Brady getting rid of the ball in like 1.5 seconds and we just sat back, laid off the receivers 8 yards, and let him hit 6 yard slants and outs the. entire. game.

Never understood why we didn’t try and mess up the timing with the receivers.

I really hope we don’t kick back and do the same thing again.
[Reply]
Hoopsdoc 08:20 AM 01-18-2019

Except when he got suspended for cheating.
[Reply]
T-post Tom 08:21 AM 01-18-2019
Originally Posted by bobbything:
I’m having flashbacks to our playoff game in NE a few years ago. Brady getting rid of the ball in like 1.5 seconds and we just sat back, laid off the receivers 8 yards, and let him hit 6 yard slants and outs the. entire. game.

Never understood why we didn’t try and mess up the timing with the receivers.

I really hope we don’t kick back and do the same thing again.
yep
[Reply]
Amnorix 08:36 AM 01-18-2019
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc:
Except when he got suspended for cheating. because the NFL initially didn't know what the ideal gas law was, and then was focused on winning a power struggle with the NFLPA
Fixed.
[Reply]
JoeyChuckles 08:55 AM 01-18-2019
I say we put all 11 guys on the weaker side of the line. We bunch them all together there, and everyone rushes the passer.

We'll call it the Brady Bunch.
[Reply]
JoeyChuckles 08:58 AM 01-18-2019
Let's gather all these ideas and write them into a list of things we are allowed to do to Brady. A Bill of Rights of sorts.

We'll call it the Brady Bill.
[Reply]
MahiMike 09:01 AM 01-18-2019
I actually think it's simpler than it seems. Go Cover 0 like the Ravens. Put everyone up and stop the dinkage. The Ravens would have made it a 10-7 game.
[Reply]
JoeyChuckles 09:04 AM 01-18-2019
We assign KC TE coach Tom Melvin to watch Brady on the sidelines and read his lips concerning the next offensive drive. Tom is always watch Tom.

We'll call it the Tom Tom Club.
[Reply]
JoeyChuckles 09:07 AM 01-18-2019
We turn up the Patriots sideline heater so high that it makes it 93 degrees on their bench. Tom starts to cramp up and can't run or throw.

We'll call it Tommy Bahama.

Okay I'm done.
[Reply]
Dr. Yu Weed Tard 12:07 PM 01-18-2019
Originally Posted by MahiMike:
I actually think it's simpler than it seems. Go Cover 0 like the Ravens. Put everyone up and stop the dinkage. The Ravens would have made it a 10-7 game.
I'm sure there's some of that in the game plan, but you can't go cover 0 the entire time against Brady. He'll get the inner clock sped up and start beating it.

You have to mix man coverages and blitzes, cover 1 and cover 0, robber/spy, and sprinkle in a little zone/blitz or even fake the zone blitz.

You have to vary your looks against Brady. You just have to, or he'll eat you alive.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up