ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 37
< 12 345612 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Let's talk WRs
OldSchool 09:52 AM 09-19-2014
Who's your top ranked receiver right now?

For me, the most pro-ready and best all around prospect at WR is Amari Cooper. He would come in and immediately start across from Bowe and eventually replace him as the primary WR.

What's wrong with Sammy Coates?

The guy has all of the tools in the world, I would equate him to Vernon Davis but at the WR position, but he hasn't produced much at all this season. Coates isn't even close to being his team's leading receiver so I'm not going to blame it on the scheme. Physically, Coates looks like a top 10 pick but his production is that of a mid to late rounder. Where would you take him?

Any thoughts on Coates' teammate, D'haquille Williams?

There is a massive difference in production between he and Sammy Coates so far this year; yes, this could be entirely due to Coates being injured from the Arkansas game but Coates only caught one pass in that game and dropped a possible TD pass despite playing 52 snaps against the Razorbacks. Williams is a JUCO transfer with good size, speed, and explosiveness, though not on the same level as Coates as far as pure physical ability goes. Is he a potential #1 WR or just a 2 at best?

Does DGB declare? If so, do you even dare to touch him given his off-field issues?

Despite not playing this season, I think that there is a real possibility that DGB does declare for the 2015 NFL draft; he just doesn't seem like the type of person who would be willing to go through another year of college over getting paid as a pro athlete. If he does declare, what round would you be willing to take a risk on him? The guy has had problems with at least two key NFL issues, abuse of women and weed. DGB has top 5 talent but an off-field reputation that would have him banned from the league if he had committed those acts as a Pro.

Do Jaelen Strong, Kevin White, or Devante Parker have enough speed to be potential #1 WRs? If not, are their other gifts good enough for them to be close to what Larry Fitzgerald has been in the league?

Is Stefon Diggs actually that fast? When I watch him, I don't see the same dimension of speed that guys like Jackson, Wallace, etc have. I'll be very curious to see what he actually runs at the Combine.

Who are you guys keeping your eyes on this year at the WR position?
[Reply]
OldSchool 01:16 AM 10-05-2014
Originally Posted by :
West Virginia senior WR Kevin White caught six passes for 132 yards and a touchdown in the school's 33-14 win over Kansas.
White's touchdown catch was a result of a 63 yard play. The former JUCO product has really emerged this season, dominating at the catch point and winning on comebacks. He could be a top 50 selection.
I don't think that White has had a single game under 100 yards this season. He has also had 1 TD reception in each of them except for his game against Towsen where he caught 10 balls for 101 yards in a game where they won by a score of 54-0.

Cooper has also had a monster season so far, though he was under 100 yards for the first time against Ole Miss.

Sammie Coates finally showed up in the stats column.

4 catches for 144 yards and 1 TD. He only has 9 catches on this season and isn't Auburn's high volume receiver right now.

His teammate, Duke Williams, only had 2 catches for 28 yards against LSU. He has more production on the season though, 25 catches total, 395 yards, with 3 TDs.
[Reply]
OldSchool 01:24 AM 10-05-2014
If you wanted a replacement for Bowe as a guy who can move the sticks consistently and be trusts in the redzone, with just enough speed to threaten deep, Kevin White is probably your guy, just judging from what I've seen so far this season.

He has more speed than Jaelen Strong and Louisville's Parker I think. But he's just as good, actually maybe a little better, than either of those guys are at high-pointing and coming down with the ball in traffic. I've also seen White create separation much more consistently as well. Strong always seems to have someone sticking close to him and can't seem to consistently shake loose of his defender.

Other guys to keep your eyes on in that regard is Duke Williams from Auburn, Austin Hill from Arizona, Deontay Greenberry from Houston, and Kasen Williams from Washington.

White is the best of the bunch though, from what I've seen this year.

As for a WR that perfectly fits Reid's system, that has to be Cooper by far.
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:30 AM 10-05-2014
Give some props, OldSchool, for Coates' performance yesterday.

C'mon. Let's hear it.
[Reply]
OldSchool 10-05-2014, 02:39 AM
This message has been deleted by OldSchool.
OldSchool 02:41 AM 10-05-2014
He had a pair of really nice grabs down field, one went for a TD.

That was a nice grab with the DB, I believe it was Jalen Collins, trying to go over the top and deflect it and another DB, don't remember his number, bracketing underneath, Coates showed great concentration and reeled it in, kept his balance and walked into the endzone.

Second big catch was also with the DB draped on his back, used his body like Bowe would and shielded him out for the completion.

It was nice to see Coates put those on tape against DBs who are going to be pros at the next level.
[Reply]
OldSchool 11:50 PM 10-05-2014
Here's a kid that I don't really like, and it's not just because he's a Furd.

Originally Posted by :
Stanford junior WR Ty Montgomery "dropped at least three passes while playing wide receiver and wasn't able to beat the Irish to the perimeter when running out of the backfield" on Saturday against Notre Dame, wrote CBS Sports' Rob Rang.
Montgomery had four catches for 12 yards and 14 yards on five rushing attempts. "Footballs landing on the grass after bouncing off his chest plate were the most obvious mistakes for Montgomery," Rang wrote. "Scouts will notice other errors, however, including shoddy route-running that contributed to an interception on the first snap of the fourth quarter." Stanford QB Kevin Hogan seemed to lose faith in Montgomery as the game went on. Former NFL GM Phil Savage believes Montgomery will be selected in the first round, but we'll need to see a lot of improvement before we buy that.
He is way too inconsistent with his hands. He's Ted Ginn/DHB all over again. Height/weight/speed guy who can run fast but is going to be a poor receiver in the NFL.
[Reply]
the Talking Can 06:47 AM 10-06-2014
at this point, if we're anywhere near Amari Cooper in the draft, we should use a pick to go get him
[Reply]
kc79 07:13 AM 10-06-2014
I like Goodley from Baylor
[Reply]
OldSchool 10:32 AM 10-06-2014
Originally Posted by the Talking Can:
at this point, if we're anywhere near Amari Cooper in the draft, we should use a pick to go get him
Agreed, he'd be a perfect fit for Reid's system. However, it might require way too much to move up for him, and we have too many holes on the roster to lose a bunch of picks for 1 player.
[Reply]
Gino-Bartali 11:02 AM 10-06-2014
Originally Posted by OldSchool:
Here's a kid that I don't really like, and it's not just because he's a Furd.

He is way too inconsistent with his hands. He's Ted Ginn/DHB all over again. Height/weight/speed guy who can run fast but is going to be a poor receiver in the NFL.
He was terrible against ND. His lack of effort cost an interception on a contested catch against Cole Luke and although he has a good straight-line speed, he is slow in his breaks and does not change direction fluidly.
[Reply]
kccrow 10:43 PM 10-06-2014
Amari Cooper is untouchable unless KC drafts in the top 5.
[Reply]
OldSchool 11:10 PM 10-06-2014
Kevin White is the ticket.
[Reply]
El Jefe 03:02 PM 10-07-2014
Originally Posted by OldSchool:
Who's your top ranked receiver right now?

For me, the most pro-ready and best all around prospect at WR is Amari Cooper. He would come in and immediately start across from Bowe and eventually replace him as the primary WR.

What's wrong with Sammy Coates?

The guy has all of the tools in the world, I would equate him to Vernon Davis but at the WR position, but he hasn't produced much at all this season. Coates isn't even close to being his team's leading receiver so I'm not going to blame it on the scheme. Physically, Coates looks like a top 10 pick but his production is that of a mid to late rounder. Where would you take him?

Any thoughts on Coates' teammate, D'haquille Williams?

There is a massive difference in production between he and Sammy Coates so far this year; yes, this could be entirely due to Coates being injured from the Arkansas game but Coates only caught one pass in that game and dropped a possible TD pass despite playing 52 snaps against the Razorbacks. Williams is a JUCO transfer with good size, speed, and explosiveness, though not on the same level as Coates as far as pure physical ability goes. Is he a potential #1 WR or just a 2 at best?

Does DGB declare? If so, do you even dare to touch him given his off-field issues?

Despite not playing this season, I think that there is a real possibility that DGB does declare for the 2015 NFL draft; he just doesn't seem like the type of person who would be willing to go through another year of college over getting paid as a pro athlete. If he does declare, what round would you be willing to take a risk on him? The guy has had problems with at least two key NFL issues, abuse of women and weed. DGB has top 5 talent but an off-field reputation that would have him banned from the league if he had committed those acts as a Pro.

Do Jaelen Strong, Kevin White, or Devante Parker have enough speed to be potential #1 WRs? If not, are their other gifts good enough for them to be close to what Larry Fitzgerald has been in the league?

Is Stefon Diggs actually that fast? When I watch him, I don't see the same dimension of speed that guys like Jackson, Wallace, etc have. I'll be very curious to see what he actually runs at the Combine.
Who are you guys keeping your eyes on this year at the WR position?

Diggs is a freak, I followed him extensively when he was at Good Counsel in High School, because the Bucks wanted him bad. At the College level his development has been subpar, he has really succeeded on his superior speed and athletic ability. His route running is subpar, and he does have issues catching the ball at times, his block is also subpar. He is freakishly fast, he is a good return man, but he is extremely raw IMO.
[Reply]
OldSchool 03:27 PM 10-07-2014
Originally Posted by El Jefe:
Diggs is a freak, I followed him extensively when he was at Good Counsel in High School, because the Bucks wanted him bad. At the College level his development has been subpar, he has really succeeded on his superior speed and athletic ability. His route running is subpar, and he does have issues catching the ball at times, his block is also subpar. He is freakishly fast, he is a good return man, but he is extremely raw IMO.
I don't know man. People talk about him like he's a potential 4.2 guy, but I don't see it. At best he's a 4.4 runner from what I've seen. He's only averaging 12.5 YPC this year.
[Reply]
mszymko 09:17 AM 10-08-2014
At this point I'm just upset we didn't grab Kelvin Benjamin in place of Ford. I would rather we kept Hali than Bowe if we're cutting someone for having an expensive contract. Benjamin does everything Bowe can do and has a far higher ceiling.

Grabbing Benjamin last year and adding Cooper this year would have been a perfect scenario, allowing us to drop Bowe's contact and spend that money on Houston + Hali for the foreseeable future.
[Reply]
OldSchool 02:46 PM 10-08-2014
Originally Posted by :
Louisville head coach Bobby Petrino said there’s a "good chance" senior WR DeVante Parker will play in Saturday’s game against Clemson.
Parker has missed the first six games after breaking a bone in his left foot during a practice in late-August. The 6-foot-3, 208-pounder (55 receptions for 885 yards and a UL-record-tying 12 touchdowns last year) is one of the nation's best wideout prospects. With a 4.39 forty, a 10-foot, 10-inch broad jump, an 80-inch wingspan, and a ridiculous catch radius, Parker is considered by many to be a future first-rounder. Rotoworld's Josh Norris ranks Parker as the No. 2 draft-eligible receiver, behind Oklahoma's Dorial Green-Beckham. "Body control to make contested catches off the ground is obvious," Norris wrote. "High points extremely well. Creates that sliver of space to win against tight coverage. Aggressively works back towards his QB on comebacks."
There is no way that Parker runs a 4.39, is there? I have never seen that speed on the field from him. Anyone else see it? He has great ball skills and is one of the better receivers at coming down with the ball in contested situations, but I do not see that 4.39 speed on the field.

Edit: Watched him against Miami from last year again. He's a bit like Bowe was earlier in his career. Not enough speed to really take the top off of a defense but just enough to be a real threat down field when combined with his ball skills, size, leaping ability, and ability to come down with the contested pass.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 37
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up