ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 11
« First < 7891011
Nzoner's Game Room>Perception of the Chiefs outside of KC among football fans.
Sweet Daddy Hate 04:22 PM 01-17-2019
Based on some encounters I've been having recently, I thought it might be fun to start a thread for those of us who live outside of Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska,
and the general surrounding area of the place the Chiefs call home.

What if anything are you seeing/hearing/witnessing from football fans regarding the Chiefs and their chances to beat the Pats, go to the Super Bowl, and win it all?
As a fan living well outside of the home base, it has been anything but fun in the past to try and explain why the Chiefs are a great organization despite the lack of trophies,
and why Kansas City's football atmosphere is second to none. But, as you might well imagine, the "arrowhead" is pointing WAY up,
and being a fan "out in the wild" ain't quite what it used to be.

The New Mexico Report, Albuquerque:

New Mexico is in a unique position regarding professional sports teams in that they have none, so people here who are NOT transplants from other markets have complete
free will to choose any professional football, baseball, or basketball team they like.
Sadly, many of them chose poorly and decided to be Donkey turds either because of Elway back in the day, or Manning as of late.
There is also the issue of Denver being roughly 500 miles to the north of ABQ, so that may have something to do with it as well.
The other Locos and Locas split time and fandom between Dallas( a fairly large local base ), Oakland( the next largest down though getting smaller and smaller in recent years ),
and San Francisco( a very small local fan base ).
I've been wearing my Chiefs beanie quite a bit this winter and as a result, I've had several people come up to me who want to talk football, Chiefs football.
What used to be at best a sideways look followed by "the Chiefs???", has become "The Chieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeefs, essay"( :-) ).
The respect level is WAY up and we all know the main reason why:
Spoiler!

Um...no. Actually, it's THIS guy:

And, quite a bit of the other guy pictured as well along with Kelce. These three players are well known among the people of New Mexico that I talk to along with Chris Jones here and there.
But mainly, people want to talk about Mahomes and with good reason; he's a once in-a lifetime player that fans of the game, regardless of who their team may be, LOVE to watch play.
The main question I get over and over is, "how did you guys FIND this kid"??? And I enjoy walking them through the entire story from start to finish because it IS an amazing story,
and one that will likely not be repeated again.
Apparently, more people are aware of the playoff history of the Chiefs and between the Chiefs and the Colts than I had imagined.
I bring this up because EVERYONE that I talk to is thoroughly convinced that the Chiefs are going to not only win, but tear New England a New Asshole in this upcoming game based on the state of the team
combined with getting that Colts/playoff monkey off of our backs. Most people are a little surprised when I temper my own response and take on the game, but I understand; they are living completely in the now
while I am still weighing the past as well as not foolishly discounting B/B in the playoffs.
That said, it's cool to meet all of these people who are convinced that our team is hands-down the best in the AFC, and who have every chance in the world to win it all. Refreshing!
Also, even the fans who are not completely lovey-dovey will admit that they want the Chiefs in the Super Bowl if for no other reason than to spare them another outing from New England,
something I believe any NFL fan who is NOT a Pats fan can agree on.

And finally, the gear is coming out and starting to show up. It is not uncommon for me to see someone in a Chiefs hat or beanie, or even a full blown getup, or to see an Arrowhead sticker
on a vehicle at least once or twice a week now. That's quite a step up from when I moved here in 2011, and there was absolutely NO swag in sight for miles other than my own.

At the very least, the Chiefs are making inroads in to New Mexico and as long as Reid and Mahomes are winning games, I believe it's safe to say that we can count on quite a few new fans out here as the years roll by.

:-)
[Reply]
DaFace 08:52 AM 09-29-2019
Originally Posted by notorious:
We are going to be the most hated fanbase in the NFL after the Chiefs win a few Superbowls.

We have developed some sick tendencies coping with failure for decades. It's going to be horrifying seeing that combined with dominating success.
Can you expand on that? Just curious what types of things you're referring to.
[Reply]
Rasputin 08:52 AM 09-29-2019
Originally Posted by KC_Lee:
I counter that question with my own; "How many draft picks have the Pats lost because of cheating?"

Tends to end the convo quickly.
I got an annoying as fuck co-worker Patriots fan that thinks it's okay with cheating he is intolerable. He said he was going get me a Patriots jersey i told him i would wipe my ass with it and burn it.
[Reply]
Rasputin 08:54 AM 09-29-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
'Because Chiefs'
[Reply]
wheeler08 08:58 AM 09-29-2019
Standing outside ford field and every Lions fan is talking about how awesome Mahomes is
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 09:10 AM 09-29-2019
Originally Posted by DRM08:
I don’t see it. Defenses still getting away with some cheap hits on Mahomes that would never be allowed with Brady/Peyton/Brees, etc.
Exactly,
[Reply]
DaFace 09:21 AM 09-29-2019
Originally Posted by KC Tattoo:
'Because Chiefs'
It's the "horrifying seeing that combined with dominating success" I'm struggling to understand.
[Reply]
jimidollar 09:37 AM 09-29-2019
Originally Posted by notorious:
We are going to be the most hated fanbase in the NFL after the Chiefs win a few Superbowls.

We have developed some sick tendencies coping with failure for decades. It's going to be horrifying seeing that combined with dominating success.
We will never be more hated than the Patriots. Why? First off, there is no way we win as many Super Bowls(because Chiefs) and secondly, Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes are easy to root for. Belicheat and Brady are total douchebags.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 09:58 AM 09-29-2019
Originally Posted by jimidollar:
We will never be more hated than the Patriots. Why? First off, there is no way we win as many Super Bowls(because Chiefs) and secondly, Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes are easy to root for. Belicheat and Brady are total douchebags.
PMII Effect, never say never
[Reply]
DRM08 10:03 AM 09-29-2019
I think that pretty much every fanbase thinks their team gets shafted on calls. We certainly benefited from at least one questionable holding call last week, and the optics of a flag getting thrown on the horse caller tackle on Patrick only after he is sitting there and griping at the ref looked very Peyton-esque (even though the call was clearly correct).

I personally don't think there's much bias one way or the other, but I understand why people see it that way.
I get your point on the optics, but Ravens and Jaguars are both dirty teams. Both of them got away with their fair share of cheap hits on Mahomes. I don’t blame them for the strategy. Play dirty on every play and challenge the refs to throw a flag every time.
[Reply]
KC_Lee 10:14 AM 09-29-2019
Originally Posted by KC Tattoo:
I got an annoying as **** co-worker Patriots fan that thinks it's okay with cheating he is intolerable. He said he was going get me a Patriots jersey i told him i would wipe my ass with it and burn it.
Find a Pollard jersey and chase him through your workplace all day. :-):-)
[Reply]
MahiMike 10:18 AM 09-29-2019
Originally Posted by chinaski:
Friend A - Die Hard Packers Fan. HATES the Patriots, is pulling for the Chiefs.

Friend B - Patriots Fan. She has almost conceded the game. Not confident at all. :-)

Brother in Law - Steelers Fan. HATES the Patriots. Rooting for the Chiefs.

My little world.

But I have been seeing more Chiefs support out here in California as well. :-)
I like your friends.
[Reply]
notorious 10:31 AM 09-29-2019
Simply message board stuff. We are pretty hard on each other, use colorful languge and insults.

Even the death of a child is open game for jokes and puns. We mean no harm, but imagine how that looks to outsiders. :-)

When I go to other forums, it’s nothing near this level. Don’t get me wrong, all of this is what makes CP the best.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 04:59 PM 09-29-2019
Is everyone gunning for this team( entirely possible ), or are we just not doing our job in keeping the opposition out of the end zone?
[Reply]
mr. tegu 05:07 PM 09-29-2019
I see a lot of commentary online still that Mahomes isn’t as good as the stats and that he will be figured out and come back to reality. If he doesn’t go 300 yards and 3 TDs people seem to think he’s figured out. I know it’s just jealousy and denial but the sooner you accept the reality of how good he is the sooner you can just enjoy watching him play.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09-29-2019, 05:50 PM
This message has been deleted by Rain Man.
Page 11 of 11
« First < 7891011
Up