ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Revisit: Trade Tyreek
kccrow 06:12 PM 02-17-2022
I recall a thread in here or in the Lounge either during the season or last offseason about trading Tyreek but I can't seem to find it.

Anyhow, I thought at the time that the very notion was absurd but now I'm having second thoughts. Then again, maybe it's the few brain cells I still call "active" just bouncing around in the endless space they have available.

I know that KC has a need at WR already but they also have to look at the future. I think about the Vikings trading away Stefon Diggs and I thought how stupid it was until they drafted what may be a better player in Justin Jefferson with the 1st round pick they got and saved a load of money in the process.

Now, the Bills gave up a 1st, 5th, 6th, and future 4th for Diggs and a 7th.

When I think about how dynamic Hill is in terms of being a game-changer in a split second, I think he may bring a bigger return.

So, hypothetical...

Let's say a team calls you up that's in desperate need of a sure-fire playmaker because they just don't possess any. My logical thought for such a thing would be the Atlanta Falcons.

Part I

The Falcons offer you the 8th overall pick and their 3rd round pick #74.

You pretend your Bart and field the call. Do you accept the trade and save $18 million on the cap this year, thus rolling the dice by needing both a #1 and #2 receiver, or do you decline and force your hand to pay this guy at least another 90 million (and likely more) over the next 4 years?

Part II

The Falcons are gun shy and don't want to give up the #8 overall but the Eagles call offering 15 and 83 because they think Hill puts them over the top. Would you still do the deal if you'd do it for #8 or would you back out?

Part III

If you still haven't said no freakin' way, at what point do you say no?
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:52 PM 02-18-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
There's a financial line in there somewhere I woudln't cross.

It would be pretty high.

If he wants to be the highest paid WR in football, it's hard for me to say he shouldn't be.
Hopkins is at $27.5 million per year (average). How far above that are you good with?

I don't have any other motives....just wondering.
[Reply]
O.city 01:49 PM 02-18-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Hopkins is at $27.5 million per year (average). How far above that are you good with?

I mean....30? Probably.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 02:13 PM 02-18-2022
I'm not trading HOF players while they're right in the middle of their prime. I don't care what the return is.

This is just stupid.
Agreed.

Getting "cute" with shit like that is how you mess up your team.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 02:38 PM 02-18-2022
What about a trade with SF where they get Reek and our first, and we get Deebo and Fred Warner?
[Reply]
Hoover 03:08 PM 02-18-2022
Hill is amazing.

He's 27 years old and on a hall of fame pace.

He's a freak, works his ass off at improving his craft. I don't see him slowing down anytime soon. Want to give him a 5 year contract, I'm game. Want to play some games and sign him to a 7 year deal (I know unheard of these days) go ahead, because I think he will be a very productive player well into his 30s.

You just don't find dudes like him.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 04:01 PM 02-18-2022
An elite deep threat opens up any offense.

You don't trade those guys. They are rare animals.
[Reply]
RunKC 04:01 PM 02-18-2022
Are you fucking nuts? Seriously?
[Reply]
cabletech94 07:19 PM 02-18-2022
13 seconds…..
[Reply]
kccrow 12:24 PM 02-19-2022
I feel like you guys are all looking at this inside a box like I did when Chargem originally posed the thought. I didn't bring everything up, hoping others would see things differently and add to the conversation more.

What if Tyreek won't get an extension done?
What if he is willing to do an extension but won't convert that roster bonus into a signing bonus to spread the hit out?
Are you going to tag for two years? Are you going to tag and trade in one of the next two years?

There are some solid options out there to mitigate the damages if you do trade Tyreek and I'm just throwing out things that could happen.

I'm 100% with you Hoover, I'd love for Tyreek to do an extension, spread that roster bonus in 2022 out, be reasonable and not expect Hopkins+ money. A lot has to happen though.
[Reply]
Chargem 12:33 PM 02-19-2022
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
No thank you. I'd be more open to trading Chris Jones who underwhelms but still has some juice in the national spotlight.
Jones doesn't have a contract you can trade. The original discussion came about because Hill was the only one with a viable contract that could be traded.

Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Part I

The Falcons offer you the 8th overall pick and their 3rd round pick #74.

You pretend your Bart and field the call. Do you accept the trade and save $18 million on the cap this year, thus rolling the dice by needing both a #1 and #2 receiver, or do you decline and force your hand to pay this guy at least another 90 million (and likely more) over the next 4 years?

I stick with Tyreek.

Part II

The Falcons are gun shy and don't want to give up the #8 overall but the Eagles call offering 15 and 83 because they think Hill puts them over the top. Would you still do the deal if you'd do it for #8 or would you back out?

I stick with Tyreek.

Part III

If you still haven't said no freakin' way, at what point do you say no?

I'd probably take Jamarr Chase in exchange for Hill. That's about as far as I'd go, though.
The Jets offer you 4 and 10 for him?

I'd take Chase for Hill as well I think

I'm not trading HOF players while they're right in the middle of their prime. I don't care what the return is.

This is just stupid.
Megatron is a hall of famer, he stayed with one team, didn't lead to any success for them. Thinking the team as a whole CAN'T be better regardless of the return is whats "just stupid". There has to be a point where if you get enough back, its better to trade Hill. The question is just how much.

Originally Posted by The Franchise:

That's a weird contract, the extension was 2 years at 27.5 per but they don't kick in for another 2 years, so its hard to tell if thats the benchmark for any new deals now or not

Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
What about a trade with SF where they get Reek and our first, and we get Deebo and Fred Warner?
These kinds of trades are generally stupid. Not saying you're stupid, you seem nice.

Warner is on a 100m contract, Deebo is on the last year of his rookie deal next year. You're not getting cheaper or better really by doing this. Hence stupid.

Originally Posted by Hoover:
Hill is amazing.

He's 27 years old and on a hall of fame pace.

He's a freak, works his ass off at improving his craft. I don't see him slowing down anytime soon. Want to give him a 5 year contract, I'm game. Want to play some games and sign him to a 7 year deal (I know unheard of these days) go ahead, because I think he will be a very productive player well into his 30s.

You just don't find dudes like him.
I'd say he's probably the best receiver in the league, but that doesn't mean his production can't be replaced. Sounds like you think he's worth more than Crow's Falcon's offer, but surely there must be a trade you would make? We're just discussing what he is worth

Originally Posted by Carr4MVP:
An elite deep threat opens up any offense.

You don't trade those guys. They are rare animals.
As I said above, I think his production could be replaced. Lets say he wants 29m average per year, and you could get Godwin and A Robinson for the same average in total, and you spend that number 8 overall pick on WR too. Is the offense better with Hill, or Godwin, Robinson and Burks? in 2022? in 2023? in 2024?

You can also look at it from the team perspective. the Chiefs were 3rd overall on offensive DVOA and 23rd in defensive DVOA. I think that the Chiefs offense would drop in these rankings if you traded Hill and then spent 20-30m avg per year on receivers to replace him, but how much better could the defense get with those resources from Atlanta?
[Reply]
Chargem 12:49 PM 02-19-2022
To actually answer the question set by KCCrow, I would take the Falcons offer, but no less, AS LONG AS I literally had the contracts printed for premium FA WRs that I wanted to replace him and the guys sat there with the pens in their hands, waiting to sign.

My plan would probably be two receiving threats from FA - Robinson/Godwin and Ertz/Njoku/Gesicki maybe, then looking to add defense with the number 8 overall pick or possibly try trading back to the middle of the first, depending how it falls.

I'd then be looking to add another WR with my back of the first round pick, it's too early to say how its shaping up but maybe one of J Williams, Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Jahan Dotson
[Reply]
O.city 01:14 PM 02-19-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I feel like you guys are all looking at this inside a box like I did when Chargem originally posed the thought. I didn't bring everything up, hoping others would see things differently and add to the conversation more.

What if Tyreek won't get an extension done?
What if he is willing to do an extension but won't convert that roster bonus into a signing bonus to spread the hit out?
Are you going to tag for two years? Are you going to tag and trade in one of the next two years?

There are some solid options out there to mitigate the damages if you do trade Tyreek and I'm just throwing out things that could happen.

I'm 100% with you Hoover, I'd love for Tyreek to do an extension, spread that roster bonus in 2022 out, be reasonable and not expect Hopkins+ money. A lot has to happen though.
Why should he take less than Hopkins?
[Reply]
O.city 01:17 PM 02-19-2022
Why would I try to replace his production when I could just sign him and keep said production coming from him?

You’d trade him, if you wanted to, at the end of the next contract. Not now.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 01:22 PM 02-19-2022
Darrell Green could still run 4.3 when he retired.

Tyreek is still a 4.2 guy and probably like Darrell will do so barring injury for some time.

NO WAY !!!!!
[Reply]
kccrow 01:55 PM 02-19-2022
Why would I try to replace his production when I could just sign him and keep said production coming from him?

You’d trade him, if you wanted to, at the end of the next contract. Not now.
As he sits, he's in the final year of his contract.

So, while it is true that it isn't necessarily "now," it's potentially next year if a deal doesn't get done.

He's one of the few on the roster I'd have a hard time trading but nobody sans Mahomes is untradable for the right price.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Up