ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 23 of 25
« First < 131920212223 2425 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Fuck!!!!!!!!! I just lost my job
Titty Meat 01:46 PM 03-24-2023
I just got blindsided folks. Manager and some HR lady pull me into a chat room and inform me they are letting me going due to company restructuring :-) I didn't see this coming at all I'm devastated and don't know what the fuck to do.
[Reply]
Rams Fan 04:53 PM 05-17-2023
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Don't work in an industry that's affected but always kind of figured the whole work from home thing would only last until the job market tightened back up and folks wouldn't just hand in resignations en masse to work elsewhere.
I think hybrid is the future long-term but now all of a sudden forcing people to come in after not doing that for 3+ years seems unfair if an employee was hired or worked remotely with the employer beforehand.
[Reply]
KCUnited 05:06 PM 05-17-2023
One fairly significant change with where I'm at is that this was dropped via email with a link to the companies internal social media site announcing it.

People leaders weren't even prepped. It was a total carpet bomb.

:-) our Comms team had been sending out all this stupid shit for mental health awareness month then BOOM! fuck you!

I can't help but think there's a little revenge component to all of this.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:47 PM 05-17-2023
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
I do think there is validity to some roles being more productive in office and others may actually lessen productivity by adding long commutes. That nuance isn't being considered, at least here, yet.

Where it gets complicated is that people have made life decisions based on WFH that they may or may not had been previously assured of. I know my company touted all the productivity gains and benefits of a smaller real estate footprint which signaled that WFH was going better than expected only to do an about-face.

Me for instance. I relocated during the pandemic based on my wife and I WFH status. The requirements we gave our realtor was a home large enough to accommodate 2 home offices. Both of us are being called back into the office hybrid.

There's childcare waiting lists a year out and people are being required to return within 3 months. Its messy for a lot of people.

I'll likely be protected because I was virtual prior to the pandemic due to my role as company snitch but people are freaking the fuck out about it.
No question. There’s going to be a lot of shit eaten, either by employees or employers losing key employees. It’s hard to imagine but the shutdown was 38 months ago. That’s a fucking eternity.

For whatever reason it all seems to be hitting within the last couple months that employers are like nah, it’s official for you bitches.

Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I’ve been WFH since 2015. No way I’m ever going back into an office. But, I’m in I.T. Which I believe is viewed differently when deciding WFH.

Most people in the field are not paid for what they did in the last 8 hours or day. But, you have to produce. Bring value. Get on stupid meetings, tolerate Brenda’s constant emails etc.

You are usually paid well. Remote work as long as you produce. If not, better refresh that resume.
Yeah. You are definitely not the dude that needs to be in the office. But I think about idiot 25 year olds that have spent 80% of their career in WFH logging in and playing Madden are the guys that need to be in the office. Mainly to learn how to work.

One fairly significant change with where I'm at is that this was dropped via email with a link to the companies internal social media site announcing it.

People leaders weren't even prepped. It was a total carpet bomb.

:-) our Comms team had been sending out all this stupid shit for mental health awareness month then BOOM! fuck you!

I can't help but think there's a little revenge component to all of this.
Woooooof.

I wouldn’t read to much into it. It’s been my experience that it is rarely anything nefarious if it can be explained by incompetence.
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:26 PM 05-17-2023
Originally Posted by Buehler445:

Woooooof.

I wouldn’t read to much into it. It’s been my experience that it is rarely anything nefarious if it can be explained by incompetence.
I’d love to believe that but we’re a 100 year old giant. Everything we do is with purpose.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 02:05 PM 05-18-2023
IT contractors aren't required to be in office here but if you're an employee, welcome back to the office
Got a friend dealing with that right now. His answer is going to be to find a new job. Like me, telework isn't negotiable, either I telework or I leave. Not that it's ever been seriously questioned, but every time the idea is voiced, they get the same answer from most of us IT folks. They know we'd be employed before they finish the letter saying we're all having to "office" again.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 02:23 PM 05-18-2023
I have experienced that three times in my professional life...

Finding a new job is more about your age than anything else. At 31, people were knocking on my door to hire me. At 45, someone I met knew of an opening. At 55, someone I had worked with before tagged me when I became available and two years later, the same thing happened.

At 45, I went to job fares and people wouldn't even talk to me because I was 'older'. I had a few initial interviews and then nothing. Things were pretty tough in 2003-2005.

I've been in IT for 43 years, the last three were WFH. I miss the office; mostly because of people I worked with and the hot women dressing up trying not to get noticed.

Good luck; if you are young and willing to work, you will be fine. When I started over in my later 40s, I took a pretty serious pay cut just to get my foot in the door. People really look at you differently; illegal or not, they know you aren't likely to press any sort of charges and how would you even prove that?
[Reply]
KCUnited 02:37 PM 05-18-2023
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Got a friend dealing with that right now. His answer is going to be to find a new job. Like me, telework isn't negotiable, either I telework or I leave. Not that it's ever been seriously questioned, but every time the idea is voiced, they get the same answer from most of us IT folks. They know we'd be employed before they finish the letter saying we're all having to "office" again.
I'm right there with you but the challenge is becoming that less fully remote positions are being offered and now that most everyone has gotten a taste of it the competition for those positions is getting fiercer.

So things are tightening up for the I'll just find another job crowd.

[Reply]
dlphg9 03:10 PM 05-18-2023
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Apparently if you resign you can file for unemployment and receive it through the exception for showing good cause. This is usually for harassment or unsafe working conditions, but if it comes to it I’m still applying. You figure my situation would be an exception.

One of the secondary offices is in St Louis but that’s roughly 4 hours away. I have less than 10% chance of getting the “virtual hybrid” designation only going in 1-3 days a month. That would be ideal as my Uncle lives in St Charles, however that’s less than 10%. I’m much more likely to get the full time 3-5 day office worker designation.

That would help with time while I’m looking, but my wife is very much against it for good reason. I would be leaving Sunday afternoon and probably wouldn’t be back until late Wednesday night. That’s a lot of time away from my family just to push time out to keep my job and get one.

I’m dusting off my resume today and will probably start looking for new employment tomorrow.
In your situation, you would most definitely be eligible for unemployment in MO. If you become unemployed through no fault of your own, then you are eligible or if you have good cause to quit. You have good cause to quit.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:17 PM 05-18-2023
I'm right there with you but the challenge is becoming that less fully remote positions are being offered and now that most everyone has gotten a taste of it the competition for those positions is getting fiercer.

So things are tightening up for the I'll just find another job crowd.

That's true, but I'd take a pretty decent pay cut before I go back to driving into downtown. I don't miss it even a bit. Plus, my dogs have gotten used to daddy being home, they would be crushed if they didn't have me home to pet them and let them in and out 10 times a day to chase squirrels...
[Reply]
RunKC 08:28 AM 05-31-2023
I just got a new job with a 13% bump in pay. Very nice!

Network guys. Network, network, network. My dad always told me that and today I realized why. I’m going to work for a solid competitor bc of a shared vendor we use that put a good word in for me.
[Reply]
ChiTown 08:29 AM 05-31-2023
I just got a new job and a 13% raise from it. Very nice.

Network guys. Network, network, network. My dad always told me that and today I realized why. I’m going to work for a solid competitor bc of a shared vendor we use out a good word in for me.
Congrats and best of luck in the new gig!
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:35 AM 05-31-2023

Network guys. Network, network, network. My dad always told me that and today I realized why. I’m going to work for a solid competitor bc of a shared vendor we use that put a good word in for me.
Nice. I'm criminally bad at networking. I wish I'd done more when I was younger.
[Reply]
Rams Fan 08:50 AM 05-31-2023

Congrats! That gives me some hope.

I've been looking since January (granted, focusing on a very specific region), have had 8 interviews (5 made it past the screen phase), and gotten rejected for everyone aside from one which was a decrease in salary at a higher cost of living area.

Going to continue applying until I find something that can get me the fuck out of what I'm doing now.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 10:39 AM 05-31-2023
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Nice. I'm criminally bad at networking. I wish I'd done more when I was younger.
How do farmers network anyhow?

LinkedIn? Sutherland? FarmersMeet? Indeed....for corn?
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:36 PM 05-31-2023
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
How do farmers network anyhow?

LinkedIn? Sutherland? FarmersMeet? Indeed....for corn?
I'm pretty networked up here for operational stuff. But I'm not in any circles with landowners, I only have a few contacts in academia/research, and fuckall in legal and regulatory aspects.
[Reply]
Page 23 of 25
« First < 131920212223 2425 >
Up