ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 19
« First < 3910111213 14151617 > Last »
Media Center>New Star Wars TV & Film Repository
DaneMcCloud 10:50 AM 03-08-2018
There are so many new Star Wars projects that are being announced that I figured it was time to start a thread. I'll update accordingly.

---

Today, it was announced that Jon Favreau will Executive Produce and Write a new Star Wars Live Action series set for Disney's new Streaming Service.

http://www.starwars.com/news/jon-fav...ar-wars-series

March 8, 2018

JON FAVREAU TO EXECUTIVE PRODUCE AND WRITE LIVE-ACTION STAR WARS SERIES. THE DIRECTOR OF IRON MAN AND THE JUNGLE BOOK WILL HELM THE SERIES FOR DISNEY’S NEW DIRECT-TO-CONSUMER PLATFORM.

Lucasfilm is excited to announce that Emmy-nominated producer and actor Jon Favreau has signed on to executive produce and write a live-action Star Wars series for Disney’s new direct-to-consumer platform. Favreau is no stranger to the Star Wars galaxy having played roles in both the Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated series and in the upcoming Solo: A Star Wars Story.

“I couldn’t be more excited about Jon coming on board to produce and write for the new direct-to-consumer platform,” says Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. “Jon brings the perfect mix of producing and writing talent, combined with a fluency in the Star Wars universe. This series will allow Jon the chance to work with a diverse group of writers and directors and give Lucasfilm the opportunity to build a robust talent base.”

Favreau is thrilled to be returning to the Star Wars galaxy: “If you told me at 11 years old that I would be getting to tell stories in the Star Wars universe, I wouldn’t have believed you. I can’t wait to embark upon this exciting adventure.”

Disney’s collaborations with Favreau extend back a decade, when he helped launch the Marvel Cinematic Universe as director of Iron Man and Iron Man 2 and as an executive producer of the Iron Man and Avengers films for Marvel Studios. For Disney, he directed and produced the massively successful The Jungle Book, which won an Academy Award for its groundbreaking visual effects. He is currently in production on Disney’s highly anticipated reimagining of The Lion King, set for release in 2019.

The untitled Star Wars live-action series does not yet have a release date.

----

http://www.starwars.com/news/game-of...tar-wars-films

ILMS // FEBRUARY 6, 2018

GAME OF THRONES CREATORS DAVID BENIOFF AND D.B. WEISS TO WRITE AND PRODUCE A NEW SERIES OF STAR WARS FILMS

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are going from Winterfell to a galaxy far, far away.

It was announced today that Benioff and Weiss, creators of the smash-hit, Emmy Award-winning television series Game of Thrones, will write and produce a new series of Star Wars films.

These new films will be separate from both the episodic Skywalker saga and the recently-announced trilogy being developed by Rian Johnson, writer-director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”

“In the summer of 1977 we traveled to a galaxy far, far away, and we’ve been dreaming of it ever since,” Benioff and Weiss said in a joint statement. “We are honored by the opportunity, a little terrified by the responsibility, and so excited to get started as soon as the final season of Game of Thrones is complete.”

No release dates have been set for the new films, and there have (thankfully) been no sightings of White Walkers around Lucasfilm.

-----
http://www.starwars.com/news/rian-jo...r-wars-trilogy

LUCASFILM // NOVEMBER 9, 2017

RIAN JOHNSON, WRITER-DIRECTOR OF STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, TO CREATE ALL-NEW STAR WARS TRILOGY

For director Rian Johnson, Star Wars: The Last Jedi was just the beginning of his journey in a galaxy far, far away.

Lucasfilm is excited to announce that Johnson will create a brand-new Star Wars trilogy, the first of which he is also set to write and direct, with longtime collaborator Ram Bergman onboard to produce.

As writer-director of The Last Jedi, Johnson conceived and realized a powerful film of which Lucasfilm and Disney are immensely proud. In shepherding this new trilogy, which is separate from the episodic Skywalker saga, Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored.

“We all loved working with Rian on The Last Jedi,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “He’s a creative force, and watching him craft The Last Jedi from start to finish was one of the great joys of my career. Rian will do amazing things with the blank canvas of this new trilogy.”

“We had the time of our lives collaborating with Lucasfilm and Disney on The Last Jedi,” Johnson and Bergman said in a joint statement. “Star Wars is the greatest modern mythology and we feel very lucky to have contributed to it. We can’t wait to continue with this new series of films.”

Johnson’s upcoming Star Wars: The Last Jedi arrives in U.S. theaters on Dec. 15, 2017.

No release dates have been set for the new films, and no porgs were available for comment.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:35 PM 06-07-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
If you listen to the Star Wars radio drama they seem to think there was a spy on board the Tantive IV.
Ahh, well that makes some sense. It's just kind of weird how they found the plans for Hyperspace tracking moments before Vader's Destroyer immediately found the Tantive IV.

And the idea of a tracker is becoming an overused plot device in Star Wars. We can block advertising on the web and find viruses in our computers while our cars can almost drive themselves but people capable of creating starships that are faster than lightspeed can't detect a tracker on its hull?

Between those issues and Obi Wan's outright lies about R2D2, C3PO and Anakin really messed everything up, IMO. Then, add the fact that Owen Lars doesn't instantly recognize C3PO, when he was their droid for at least 10 years, which is extremely odd as well.

I'll be curious to see how many changes are made to the OT once Andor and the Obi Wan series air.
[Reply]
Frazod 04:08 PM 06-07-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I recently re-watched the entire Star Wars film saga and came away a revelation or two.

First off, how was Vader's Imperial Star Destroyer able to instantly follow Tantive IV from Scarif to Tatooine? Hyperspace tracking wasn't "a thing" at that time and I don't recall seeing anyone plant a homing beacon the Rebel ship.

And secondly, man, the backlash to The Last Jedi really killed a great movie in Solo. I hadn't watched it in a few years but after seeing it this past weekend, wow, is it a great Star Wars film! The acting, direction, VFX and cast were perfect, IMO, even Alden Ehrenreich. Sure, he's not Harrison Ford but he does a really, really great job with a really difficult role.

The only aspect of Solo that doesn't meet expectations is the score. The first ten minutes, which were composed and conducted by John Williams, is fine. But John Powell's score is weak at best and some of the choices made by the director and editors weren't good, IMO, specifically, the use of Han's Theme in the asteroid field in The Empire Strikes Back. That music fit the scene in Empire perfectly but now, that's ruined because they repurposed the music while Han was making the Kessel Run.

Otherwise, I think it's the second best of the new movies, just a hair behind Rogue One although R.O. isn't nearly as "fun" as Solo. As most people know, there's a Lando series in development right now but I've heard some whispers about brining back A.E. for a Solo series as well. I would love to see the seedy underworld under the Empire's control and a Solo series would kill it, IMO.
As I've said before, Solo is really the only Star Wars movie that captures the fun, swashbuckling feel of the original. I loved it. Outside of the original three, the only ones I'll ever bother to watch again are Solo and Rogue One.
[Reply]
Jamie 05:22 PM 06-07-2021
Between those issues and Obi Wan's outright lies about R2D2, C3PO and Anakin really messed everything up, IMO. Then, add the fact that Owen Lars doesn't instantly recognize C3PO, when he was their droid for at least 10 years, which is extremely odd as well.

I'll be curious to see how many changes are made to the OT once Andor and the Obi Wan series air.
The end of ROTS always bothered me, it makes no sense but everybody accepted it because it moved all the pieces to place for ANH.

They act like it's a plan, but the plan is like, let's hide Luke on Anakin's home planet, living with Anakin's family, and make no attempt to conceal his identity. No attempt will be made to train Luke or Leia in the force. Obi-Wan and Yoda will go into hiding for no apparent reason. And we'll all just wait around for something to happen. To me, Owen not recognizing C3PO is one of the easier things to explain away, since protocol droids look the same.

I assume the Obi-Wan series will fix and/or explain some of it, but still. George really should have thought this stuff out when he started working on the prequels.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:24 AM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
J.J. Abrams acknowledges it probably would have been better if they had approached the Star Wars sequel trilogy with a plan.

https://collider.com/jj-abrams-star-...plan-comments/
The bottom line is that absolutely everything should have been planned out and in place for at least 30 years in the future, if not 50, before producing a movie set 30 years in the future without a backstory. It's freaking Screenwriting 101!
We saw this arrogance in GOT season 8 too. We have a huge built in audience, going to make a huge pile of money guaranteed, why give our best effort? We don't have to get all the details of the story arc ironed out before filming.

Complete lack of respect for the fans and their passion for the story and the characters.
[Reply]
Frazod 12:46 PM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
We saw this arrogance in GOT season 8 too. We have a huge built in audience, going to make a huge pile of money guaranteed, why give our best effort? We don't have to get all the details of the story arc ironed out before filming.

Complete lack of respect for the fans and their passion for the story and the characters.
At least those GoT fuckers are paying the price for it. They're so toxic now I doubt if they could get a gig producing an infomercial.

I don't know how Jar Jar Abrams still gets work. I wouldn't let that cocksucker wash my car.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:38 PM 06-09-2021
Originally Posted by Jamie:
The end of ROTS always bothered me, it makes no sense but everybody accepted it because it moved all the pieces to place for ANH.

They act like it's a plan, but the plan is like, let's hide Luke on Anakin's home planet, living with Anakin's family, and make no attempt to conceal his identity. No attempt will be made to train Luke or Leia in the force. Obi-Wan and Yoda will go into hiding for no apparent reason. And we'll all just wait around for something to happen. To me, Owen not recognizing C3PO is one of the easier things to explain away, since protocol droids look the same.

I assume the Obi-Wan series will fix and/or explain some of it, but still. George really should have thought this stuff out when he started working on the prequels.
Life was different in the 90s. Internet didn’t exist to have these kinds of discussions.

Hilariously D&D fucked off GOT to go do....Star Wars.
[Reply]
eDave 03:21 AM 06-10-2021
Ahh, well that makes some sense. It's just kind of weird how they found the plans for Hyperspace tracking moments before Vader's Destroyer immediately found the Tantive IV.

And the idea of a tracker is becoming an overused plot device in Star Wars. We can block advertising on the web and find viruses in our computers while our cars can almost drive themselves but people capable of creating starships that are faster than lightspeed can't detect a tracker on its hull?

Don't do this to yourself, man.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:25 AM 06-10-2021
Yeah, nobody needed an explanation for why the Star Destroyer was there at the beginning of ANH in 1977.

If Rogue One introduced a pre-existing element into the story 40 years later, that's not a plot hole.

The director probably listened to the star wars radio drama anyway :-) (the drama is awesome, it actually covers Vader tracking Leia all the way from another planet first, then when the Devastator finally catches up to her the talk about there being a spy on board).
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:37 PM 06-10-2021

This. Is. The. Way.��#freakingout https://t.co/ui3cpF6N7j

— Ming-Na Wen (@MingNa) June 10, 2021

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:38 PM 06-10-2021

'Star Wars: #Andor' - Forest Whitaker to Reprise His Role of Saw Gerrera From 'Rogue One' - #ForestWhitaker #StarWars - https://t.co/TohjuFpOzk pic.twitter.com/tqgbus2R8O

— SWNN (@StarWarsNewsNet) June 10, 2021

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:42 PM 06-10-2021
There's a 30 minute video interview and the full transcript with Ewan and Pedro at the link.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/actors/a...on-1234991717/

The Stars of ‘Star Wars’ Join Forces: Pedro Pascal and Ewan McGregor Share Secrets Behind ‘The Mandalorian’ and ‘Halston’

Ewan McGregor: I just came directly from our set on the “Kenobi” series, and I’m working with so many of your crew from “The Mandalorian.” In fact, Deborah Chow is directing all of our series, and I know she directed episodes of your first season. I’m having such an amazing time down there with that incredible technology, and not being in front of too much green screen and blue screen.

Pedro Pascal: It’s unbelievable, isn’t it? You would think that you would have to really invent all of it in your mind, but more than any set I’ve ever been on, it’s there and meticulously created in the production design. It’s like being on an amusement park ride.

McGregor: I did the first three films in the late ’90s and into the 2000s, and by the time you did Episode 2 and 3, literally 90% of the scenes were just on green sets with green floors and green walls, or a blue set with blue sides and blue walls.

Pascal: It would be such a different experience with the same character that you were doing before — and then coming in and doing it with all this new technology.

McGregor: I like it. It’s like the beginning of Hollywood. It’s almost like when they had three-sided sets all in a row, and a bunch of guys with windup cameras, and you would just go from one stage to the other, one background to the other. Well, we’re doing sort of the same thing, except just the background changes instead of the stage. I’m excited about it because I feel like anything’s possible now. That you can invent stuff, interiors or exteriors that don’t exist in the real world, and put us into that environment. And also, you don’t have to fly ever. I mean, traveling has been great for the first 30 years of my career, but now I just want to stay at home. I just want to drive to work and drive home from work. I want a proper job.
[Reply]
Fishpicker 12:57 AM 06-12-2021

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:11 PM 06-12-2021

Dude, it had absolutely nothing to do with arrogance and everything to do with spending 10 years of their lives on this series, which had become a never-ending journey, especially given that Martin decided that he needed decades to outline and complete the story.

AT&T's management was and has been compete and utter shit. They pressured those guys constantly because HBO was far, far behind in the Streaming Wars (and years later, still lag far behind Disney, Netflix, Amazon and are virtually tied with Hulu, which has 1/100th the original programming). They wouldn't allow them time off, because HBO had absolutely no other "Anchor" TV series and the grind just wore them down.

Running a show, even a small show, is like being a CEO of a company. There are constant challenges with personnel, salary disputes, delays, and of course, egos. When you're talking about a series with the scope of Game of Thrones, Wiess & Benioff were basically CEO's of a global corporation, with filming locations all over Europe, which comes with its own set of logistics, a team of accountants and finance people, not to mention the fact that they had to pull the story out of their asses because Martin failed to do his part, making it no surprise that the series ended up disappointing a large number of viewers.

The blame lies with AT&T.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:18 PM 06-12-2021
Dude, it had absolutely nothing to do with arrogance and everything to do with spending 10 years of their lives on this series, which had become a never-ending journey, especially given that Martin decided that he needed decades to outline and complete the story.

AT&T's management was and has been compete and utter shit. They pressured those guys constantly because HBO was far, far behind in the Streaming Wars (and years later, still lag far behind Disney, Netflix, Amazon and are virtually tied with Hulu, which has 1/100th the original programming). They wouldn't allow them time off, because HBO had absolutely no other "Anchor" TV series and the grind just wore them down.

Running a show, even a small show, is like being a CEO of a company. There are constant challenges with personnel, salary disputes, delays, and of course, egos. When you're talking about a series with the scope of Game of Thrones, Wiess & Benioff were basically CEO's of a global corporation, with filming locations all over Europe, which comes with its own set of logistics, a team of accountants and finance people, not to mention the fact that they had to pull the story out of their asses because Martin failed to do his part, making it no surprise that the series ended up disappointing a large number of viewers.

The blame lies with AT&T.
Figures.

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:51 PM 06-13-2021
I'M HORNEY

[Reply]
Page 13 of 19
« First < 3910111213 14151617 > Last »
Up