ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 7
« First < 23456 7 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Do our 2 new OT's fit the scheme that Mahomes wants to play?
JakeF 03:42 PM 10-15-2021
Mahomes might be the best scrambling QB in NFL history. He loves to scramble around and create passing lanes in the defense to throw the ball.

The reason why they want Mahomes to stay in the pocket is because our huge, mauling tackles are not built for running around. They are both built to wall off the pocket and protect a spot. They are best when a QB takes a shorter drop, forcing DE to turn up sooner to go through 6'7" 340lbs of OT.

Both of our tackles might be good, but we are asking them to do things they are not really suited to do.

Do we really want to give Orlando Brown a new $20m a year contract, then ask him to play a scheme he isn't built for?

Are we going to ask our $500m Quarterback to play a different type of football than the one that won us a Super Bowl?

All 3 players might be good players, but that still doesn't mean they fit each other.

???
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 04:56 PM 10-16-2021
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Yeah I'm sure the franchise didn't consider whether they fit the scheme at all before bringing them in.
They were getting a bit desperate by the time they traded for Orlando though, weren't they? To have a day one starter.

And seeing what the draft picks they got back in the trade, it's not the end of the world if it ends up being a one year rental.
[Reply]
-King- 06:08 PM 10-16-2021
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
Dumb and obstinate
You disagree?
[Reply]
Mecca 09:15 PM 10-16-2021
Originally Posted by Funkstown:
https://forum.russellstreetreport.co...uyer-s-remorse

Looks like certain fanbases enjoy watching us fall apart. Man they need to mind their own fucking business and worry about LaMar having Hershey squirts.
Dude..we've been to 3 straight AFC title games, back to back SBs, 1 win. Curbstomped the AFC in the process while Mahomes wins awards..

To everyone that isn't a Chiefs fan, Mahomes is the annoited one all over commercials etc, they're tired of us.

It's no different than when our fan base hated Manning for many if the same reasons.
[Reply]
suzzer99 09:51 PM 10-16-2021
We really have played 4 teams' Superbowls in our first five games. It's tough when the other team is in playoff mode and we're sleepwalking.
[Reply]
Katie 09:57 PM 10-16-2021
Seems to me Pat needs to get the ball out earlier on short pass plays. Lots of times I’ve seen him hold the ball too long. Receivers are sometimes open early and could get the ball and get yards. He waits to long and the receiver is covered by the time he throws.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 10:10 PM 10-16-2021
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Dude..we've been to 3 straight AFC title games, back to back SBs, 1 win. Curbstomped the AFC in the process while Mahomes wins awards..

To everyone that isn't a Chiefs fan, Mahomes is the annoited one all over commercials etc, they're tired of us.

It's no different than when our fan base hated Manning for many if the same reasons.
Difference is the douchebagery comes from Patrick's brother not himself
[Reply]
Mecca 10:53 PM 10-16-2021
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Difference is the douchebagery comes from Patrick's brother not himself
It wouldn't even matter if there was literally nothing there. Something made up or really petty will get latched on to...Mahomes brother/gf. Aaron Rodgers etc.

Success breeds contempt.
[Reply]
kccrow 02:40 AM 10-17-2021
Honestly, no, I really don't think they do fit that well. I think Niang needs to trim back down. Asking Brown to do that may not happen, he never has been very "thin" or athletic out on the perimeter. That isn't bagging on them because both can be effective players. I'm more answering the question of fit with Patrick and more athletic tackles definitely fit him better.

I don't think "fit" will play into contract negotiations with Brown as I think that Veach wouldn't have made the trade if he wasn't confident the team could make it work. That said, I wouldn't put it past Veach to slap the franchise tag on Brown for 2022 and draft a developmental tackle on day 2 if the price isn't right. He certainly shouldn't reset the market and probably shouldn't be in the top 3 contracts. The tag is supposed to be 16.7 million or so next year.
[Reply]
mililo4cpa 06:01 AM 10-17-2021
With this team: if the offense doesn’t turn the ball over, the defense needs only 3-4 stops a game to be virtually unbeatable. The O-line is plenty good enough to sustain drives and land 30+ points. There aren’t too many teams out there that can score 30+ when they only have 8-9 possessions in a game. 3-4 stops means that teams are scoring on 4-5 drives, and most teams aren’t going to put up 5 TDs with those drives.

So, that’s the “magic” formula: No TOs, 3-4 stops will win the majority of times with this team.
[Reply]
Shaid 07:35 AM 10-17-2021
I think Brown is a more natural RT, he just is. Doesn't mean he can't be a capable, mid-tier LT but he doesn't necessary fit what Mahomes likes to do. Niang is also a capable player but lesser than Brown.

It's true that Mahomes can help them with stepping into the pocket. Because of the skillset of his tackles, he needs to do that. The problem is, sometimes Mahomes will scramble to a side to actually move a defender to free up a player. We basically remove a bit of who he is by making sure he just steps up in the pocket. Right now he needs to do that though, it's the skillset he's working with.

It's also a reason though that I'm not sold on long term contracts with the tackles yet. Especially Brown who is likely to want Top 5 LT money. The problem is we need to invest in the defense through the draft so we may not have a lot of choices.
[Reply]
JPH83 07:45 AM 10-17-2021
Originally Posted by Shaid:
I think Brown is a more natural RT, he just is. Doesn't mean he can't be a capable, mid-tier LT but he doesn't necessary fit what Mahomes likes to do. Niang is also a capable player but lesser than Brown.

It's true that Mahomes can help them with stepping into the pocket. Because of the skillset of his tackles, he needs to do that. The problem is, sometimes Mahomes will scramble to a side to actually move a defender to free up a player. We basically remove a bit of who he is by making sure he just steps up in the pocket. Right now he needs to do that though, it's the skillset he's working with.

It's also a reason though that I'm not sold on long term contracts with the tackles yet. Especially Brown who is likely to want Top 5 LT money. The problem is we need to invest in the defense through the draft so we may not have a lot of choices.
Think I agree with much of this. I wouldn't want Brown on a long term market leading contract. He's just not showing he's a top level LT yet. As much as I'd love to swing for a developmental tackle it looks like we need to throw everything at the defence first.
[Reply]
-King- 09:20 AM 10-17-2021
Well, Niang has officially been benched.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 09:21 AM 10-17-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
Well, Niang has officially been benched.
@SorenPetro: #Chiefs Reports have Mike Remmers starting for Lucas Niang today in Washington. I can confirm that Remmers will start because Niang has a minor hamstring injury. Niang is available to play today if necessary.
[Reply]
-King- 09:26 AM 10-17-2021
Originally Posted by Sure-Oz:
@SorenPetro: #Chiefs Reports have Mike Remmers starting for Lucas Niang today in Washington. I can confirm that Remmers will start because Niang has a minor hamstring injury. Niang is available to play today if necessary.
He was a full participant in practice everyday. This isn't about the injury.
[Reply]
Shaid 09:38 AM 10-17-2021
Good way to see how Remmers performs. If he's better than Niang, he stays. If not they just say Niang is healthy now, he's back.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 7
« First < 23456 7 >
Up