ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 21 of 120
« First < 111718192021 222324253171 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2023 STL Cardinals Thread ***
BigRedChief 08:39 AM 03-29-2023
2023 thread. Walker makes the roster. I'll update the rosters and opening day lineup when its official

2023 Opening Day Lineup
Spoiler!

2022 Opening Day roster.
Spoiler!

For the new Cardinal fans that joined the Planet since last year, here are some of the historical threads going back to 2006.
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Marco Polo 09:05 PM 04-30-2023
I went to the game last night in LA. Team just had no emotion or passion. I was born in 1980 and this may be the worst team in my lifetime. Love Arenado but he is clearly very off. Pitching is starting to get better.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:45 PM 04-30-2023
Originally Posted by Marco Polo:
I went to the game last night in LA. Team just had no emotion or passion. I was born in 1980 and this may be the worst team in my lifetime. Love Arenado but he is clearly very off. Pitching is starting to get better.
everyone can see it. Whether it was publicly throwing O’Neill under the bus. Or not playing the best players. Lineups, pitching use etc etc. you can see the lack of enthusiasm among the players. You can’t sustain this. Something has to change.
[Reply]
jd1020 11:31 PM 04-30-2023
Arenado probably hasnt forgiven himself for not opting out. With the trend in contracts getting guys like Bogaerts $280M, Arenado probably cost himself over $100M.
[Reply]
VAChief 07:49 AM 05-01-2023
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
everyone can see it. Whether it was publicly throwing O’Neill under the bus. Or not playing the best players. Lineups, pitching use etc etc. you can see the lack of enthusiasm among the players. You can’t sustain this. Something has to change.
More important to gut the top...if Dewitt was serious he would fire Mo and Girsch and hire a team like Bendix and one of the asst. gms for the Rays. You know he could pay them more.

Marmol would take care of itself after that most likely.

Fans are going to have to stop showing up for anything drastic to happen though.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:56 PM 05-01-2023
Originally Posted by VAChief:
More important to gut the top...if Dewitt was serious he would fire Mo and Girsch and hire a team like Bendix and one of the asst. gms for the Rays. You know he could pay them more.

Marmol would take care of itself after that most likely.

Fans are going to have to stop showing up for anything drastic to happen though.
I agree with robbing the Rays and throwing a pile of money at one of their top baseball evaluators. They always have talent year after year. Can’t keep the talent due to economics though. We should be able to afford a MLB 9-11 top team salary.

Also agree, unless butts stop showing up in the seats. Mo ain’t going anywhere.
[Reply]
Marcellus 12:59 PM 05-01-2023
Originally Posted by jd1020:
Arenado probably hasnt forgiven himself for not opting out. With the trend in contracts getting guys like Bogaerts $280M, Arenado probably cost himself over $100M.
Arenado is generationally wealthy regardless, he is more pissed about playing on a loser which is why he wanted out of Colorado, it was never about $$.
[Reply]
bdj23 01:03 PM 05-01-2023
Originally Posted by Marco Polo:
I'm going to St Louis in a month. I really don't want to anymore, but it's a sunk cost and I think it would be rude to cancel on the 3 others I'm going with. So I guess I'll drink $13 beers and try to make the best of it.
[Reply]
seclark 01:04 PM 05-01-2023
It was just plain stupid going into the season with this starting rotation.
No excuse.
sec
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:06 PM 05-01-2023
I just can't imagine this was the sales pitch Mozeliak made when he convinced him not to opt out.

Sources said he made requests of the front office who promised same before he chose not to opt out. And the Cards off-season consisted of signing a C for the same amount as the one they let go in FA and then giving raises to holdovers while engaging in creative accounting to give the impression they weren't being cheap.

Mozeliak had to have straight up lied to him.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:11 PM 05-01-2023
Originally Posted by jd1020:
Bernie tweet

If Nolan Arenado seems stressed, no wonder. Not just his slump, either. He came to the #STLCards* believing he'd have a yearly chance to compete for titles -- unlike the Rockies. Right now the 2 worst teams in the NL are Colorado (.310) and St. Louis (.345.) Headwires, tangled.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:16 PM 05-01-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I just can't imagine this was the sales pitch Mozeliak made when he convinced him not to opt out.

Sources said he made requests of the front office who promised same before he chose not to opt out. And the Cards off-season consisted of signing a C for the same amount as the one they let go in FA and then giving raises to holdovers while engaging in creative accounting to give the impression they weren't being cheap.

Mozeliak had to have straight up lied to him.
Mo had to have promised Arenado to spend more money.

I’m no baseball salary nerd. But, it seems like they Cardinals didn’t spend money, they are even spending less if you count the $50 million in free money Mo got from Colorado.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:20 PM 05-01-2023
Originally Posted by seclark:
It was just plain stupid going into the season with this starting rotation.
No excuse.
sec
starting rotation pitchers cost money. Are you insane?:-)
[Reply]
bdj23 05:23 PM 05-01-2023
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Mo had to have promised Arenado to spend more money.

I’m no baseball salary nerd. But, it seems like they Cardinals didn’t spend money, they are even spending less if you count the $50 million in free money Mo got from Colorado.
Didn't DJ lay it out last year how they cooked the numbers to make it appear as of they raised/were raising payroll while actually not doing shit?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:26 PM 05-01-2023
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
I didn’t know it was Covid that got him. After 2 years?

From STL today
Mike Shannon made it far longer than perhaps he or anybody else had envisioned. Having contracted “long-haul” COVID-19 in 2020, Shannon never quite kicked his illness, although he battled it like anything else. Shannon, who was at Busch Stadium on April 19 for the Cardinals’ most recent home game, had been ill off and on since coming down with the virus.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:43 PM 05-01-2023
Originally Posted by BDj23:
Didn't DJ lay it out last year how they cooked the numbers to make it appear as of they raised/were raising payroll while actually not doing shit?
Yup.

They counted the AAV for Wainright and Contreras (despite their deals being backloaded) as well as money they didn't even SPEND on Arenado (paid for by the Rockies) for the purposes of claiming spending had gone up.

The franchise simply doesn't give a fuck. They know that 80% of this fanbase doesn't care about any of that shit and to whatever extent they do, they're fiercely protective of a billionaires money and take it as a point of personal pride that we're not one of those big budget teams that actually spends money on quality free agents.

Bill DeWitt sees the Cardinals as an investment mechanism at this point - nothing more, nothing less. And John Mozeliak sees it as a paycheck.

Nobody should give a damn about this team. And it's a real shame because there are some EXTREMELY likeable players on it. Being led by an overmatched red-ass who was hired by an untouchable Don who simply pays him to parrot the company line and do what he's told.

This is the worst shape this franchise has been in since the Brewery owned it. And at one time, Cardinals ownership was the envy of baseball. Then they got complacent and, seemingly, bored. So it wasn't until they were sold to Dewitt they became relevant again.

Well the tree of liberty and what not - it's time for another owner. DeWitt, like the Brewery before him, has become bored and complacent. And until he's gone, we're irrelevant. Worse still, we've lost a TON of organizational cache while Bill fiddled...
[Reply]
Page 21 of 120
« First < 111718192021 222324253171 > Last »
Up