ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 276 of 324
« First < 176226266272273274275276 277278279280286 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 10:05 AM 12-12-2022
Originally Posted by Gravedigger:
I'm basing more off the totality of work, not just by a few games where they had to pickup the offense. Overall, I don't think you could ever rank Spags defense in the top half of the league, in any given year they've always floated around mid-tier. If you've seen what Brady was able to do with top ten defenses in his career, that seems to be the winning formula. My argument centers around not wasting Pat's prime years, and other playmakers on our team, based on loyalty to a good, but never great defense and/or coordinator. Patrick's trajectory is going towards Aaron Rodgers more than it is Tom Brady at this point, and it's better to see it in advance and correct it rather than let our late 20s stars retire or go to another team before you get it right. If we win the Superbowl this year, or get to the AFC Championship, then I'll gladly say let's try it again. But if they regress and lose out because the defense couldn't stop anyone in the Divisional or Wildcard rounds, then it's a glaring problem at that point in an offseason full of questions on how do we make the team better to get back to the point we were once at.
Let's cross that bridge if we get to it. For now it's not just a few games. They have shown up for THE games that matter. That's the totality that matters.. Who cares if we have regular season struggles if we find our way in the playoffs. If we're talking about wasting our prime mahomes years... Its been our offense that's wasted that so far.

I agree we gotta put the pressure on. I think he gets some grace for having a team this young. But I just think people are revising history about how spags has costed us much of anything yet. Or that we have no reason for optimism that he can turn things around for the playoffs.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 10:29 AM 12-12-2022
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
the floor for this defense is giving up 27-29 points this year

that isn't great, but if the floor gives mahomes a chance to win, i'm not that worried
What? We give up 22.9 PPG on average.

The floor is not 27-29.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:36 AM 12-12-2022
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
What? We give up 22.9 PPG on average.

The floor is not 27-29.
i'm saying that's an absolute worst performance we give
[Reply]
xztop123 10:43 AM 12-12-2022
The worst part about his d is his reluctance to use speed defensive ends
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:46 AM 12-12-2022
Originally Posted by xztop123:
I'd say it's our complete LACK of speed rushers, but your mileage may vary.
[Reply]
tredadda 10:47 AM 12-12-2022
Pretty sure he would use them if he had any.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:49 AM 12-12-2022
Where are you finding those guys man, you just pulling them outta your asshole?
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:51 AM 12-12-2022
Mike Danna and Frank Clark are our speed rushers :-)
[Reply]
RunKC 10:54 AM 12-12-2022
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
There's no part of me that would feel confident another DC would clearly get more out of our very young defense at this point.

I absolutely am not convinced that the grass is greener.

Give the guy more time with a group that's still growing.
Yup. Entering the off-season we knew this defense needed a full on rebuild.

The secondary was trash, Hitchens and Neimann had to be replaced and our DL outside of Chris Jones was bad.

We hadn’t drafted a 1st rd defender since Marcus Peters. That’s 6 years without premier young talent from the first rd.

And boy did they sure look like it last year. We were an old defense that needed a reset.

I get that people are pissed about the pass rush but we cannot fix every single problem in one offseason. This was never a one year fix.

But this off-season money will open up and I expect us to attack the pass rush.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:54 AM 12-12-2022
Having Mahomes with no pass rush is a double edged sword. We can get up big but when the other team is forced to pass....we can't consistently put pressure on them.
[Reply]
TEX 11:12 AM 12-12-2022
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
The death of this team will be pass rush. Wasn't horrible but it needs to be addressed next year.
It's a toss up between that and both our Offensive Tackles. I think I might siide with your take a bit more though.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 11:19 AM 12-12-2022
You hear a lot from the talking heads on TV that the Chiefs routinely put their corners in challenging situations (Dan Orlovsky mentioned it this morning for example).

Is this referring to the Chiefs putting their corners in a lot of one on one man coverage? It seems like we’ve seen several instances of soft zone coverage this year.

The Chiefs have seemingly had communication issues and coverage breakdowns (especially in goal line situations) both last year with a more veteran secondary and this year with rookies/younger players so is the scheme the problem?
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 11:58 AM 12-12-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Guys, when you can't get home with 4, you have to blitz.

When you've got a secondary full of rookies, there are going to be mistakes made.

There are also big plays on our part; 6 sacks, 2 INT's, one a pick 6.

All of this fire Spags stuff...like...what do you think someone else is going to do? We can't pressure with 4. So we blitz. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. We try everything. Zone blitzes, man coverage, zone coverage, mixing zone and man looks, you name it, I've seen Spags do it this season.

Sure would be nice to have a pair of consistent pass rushers at DE to go with Jones, but we just don't have it. That's going to be tough on a young secondary.
It's hard for me to get behind firing Spags, but it's more due to the fact that I like the person than what he's accomplished. Let's face it....the defense has never been above average during his time in KC. And at times it's been bad. He's had a very up and down career in general.

We could do a lot worse than Spags but I also think there are people available who would do better.
[Reply]
RunKC 12:00 PM 12-12-2022
We have a pass rush problem but are at 42 sacks and on pace for 55.

6 sacks and 11 QB hits yesterday. A causal fan looking at boxscore stats would think we’re elite :-)
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:04 PM 12-12-2022
DEN had 13 drives yesterday. 7 ended with punts. 2 ended with INTs by the KC defense.

DEN scored on four drives. Three of which occurred within less than 20 minutes and accounted for 34 snaps, essentially back to back with little to no rest.

The average length of drive for the other 9 DEN drives was 8.1 yards per drive.
[Reply]
Page 276 of 324
« First < 176226266272273274275276 277278279280286 > Last »
Up