ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 51 of 270
« First < 414748495051 5253545561101151 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Do we want DeHop?
ROYC75 01:21 PM 03-01-2023
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...9536dcd3&ei=21

Story by Andrew Gould

The Kansas City Chiefs won the Super Bowl without a star wide receiver, but they could reportedly make an elite offense even scarier by acquiring DeAndre Hopkins.

NFL insider Benjamin Albright told PHNX Cardinals that Kansas City is the "primary suitor" for Hopkins. He doesn't know the draft compensation the Cardinals would receive, but he said it's more likely they get a second-round pick than a first.

After the 2022 season, theScore's Jordan Schultz reported that the Cardinals plan to trade Hopkins this offseason.

Arizona hired a new general manager and head coach after a disappointing four-win season, and Hopkins is set to make $19.45 million (with a $30.75 million cap hit) in 2023. The Cardinals could seek a clean slate by moving the three-time All-Pro wideout, who turns 31 in June.

Hopkins began his Cardinals career by tallying 1,407 yards and six touchdowns in 2020. However, multiple lower body injuries limited him to 10 games in 2021, and he served a six-game suspension to start the 2022 season for violating the NFL's PED policy.

Yet he remains an impact player when on the field. Hopkins totaled 474 receiving yards in six full games with quarterback Kyler Murray last season.

Now imagine what he can accomplish when catching passes from Patrick Mahomes.

The Chiefs flourished without a star replacement for Tyreek Hill, but they could still benefit by solidifying the position this offseason. JuJu Smith-Schuster is a free agent after garnering 78 catches for 933 yards on a one-year deal. The depth chart features several talented question marks in Mecole Hardman, Kadarius Toney, and Marquez Valdes-Scantling.

Adding Hopkins could be great news for Kansas City, but terrible for all opposing defenses.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do we want a high priced prima donna?
[Reply]
O.city 08:48 PM 03-06-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
You hedge your bets with vet bargains, but that's what you try to do, yes.

We don't need a draftee to start at WR, which is good because they almost certainly wouldn't no matter what in Reid's offense.

You bet your ass we're going to draft an OT and a DE too; maybe more than one each. And you can also safely assume that they will sign vets at less than top of the market as insurance policies.

That's assuming we don't just sign some guys outright, or possibly trade for them.

Nobody expects 6 or 7 starters. But you're going to have to draft well or you're ****ed with a QB eating 23% of your cap. Period. There's no way around it.

I don't know why I have to keep explaining this to you like you're four ****ing years old, but it's getting tiresome.

No QB in the history of the NFL post free agency had ever won a SB with a cap number above like 13% and change. Mahomes did it at 17% this year. Not Brady, not Manning. Nobody. Previous high was Steve Young in '94.

You're going to have to build your team through the draft, period. Add thrifty free agents to fill holes, but by and large you're going to have to draft well or you're screwed.

You HAVE to spread out your cap dollars.
You can keep saying it, unless they’re the ultimate outlier, they’re not going to have draft after draft like the last 2. You throw one or two in like 18 and 20 and then you’re in trouble.

They’re already the outlier winning a sb with the qb making what he is but it also took said qb having the best year in nfl history playing qb and a draft like 5 other teams have had in history.

They decided not to pay a good LT like an elite one. It’s the smart play

But they damn sure didn’t do it without an idea of what they’re gonna do at LT long term so when they trade up to draft someone or trade for and pay someone, we can put an end of o this
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:49 PM 03-06-2023
Someone mentioned this earlier and was laughed off, but a possible low cost vet that would be a possibility would be someone like Thielen. Because he's 32, but still a decent player who spent most of his career with fucking Kirk Cousins. He won't be getting a bunch of money, but he's a smart, professional WR, and he could come chasing a ring. I'm talking like a 2-3m plus incentives. A '22 Juju deal. Just a guy to come in and be a consistent professional, be where he's supposed to be and catch the ball when it comes his way.

I saw an article that mentioned him, and if it was cheap enough, it would make some sense.

Not banging the drum for him or anything. Just sayin'.
[Reply]
O.city 08:50 PM 03-06-2023
That type of player at wr would make sense especially if you draft one that needs some time
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:51 PM 03-06-2023
Originally Posted by O.city:
You can keep saying it, unless they’re the ultimate outlier, they’re not going to have draft after draft like the last 2. You throw one or two in like 18 and 20 and then you’re in trouble.

They’re already the outlier winning a sb with the qb making what he is but it also took said qb having the best year in nfl history playing qb and a draft like 5 other teams have had in history.

They decided not to pay a good LT like an elite one. It’s the smart play

But they damn sure didn’t do it without an idea of what they’re gonna do at LT long term so when they trade up to draft someone or trade for and pay someone, we can put an end of o this
Dude I'm sure they have a plan. I'm sure they have SEVERAL options to pivot to. I'm unconcerned. Hell, I'm excited. I can't wait to see what they're cooking up! But I'm pretty sure it's not a really expensive over 30 free agent.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:52 PM 03-06-2023
That type of player at wr would make sense especially if you draft one that needs some time
Hey looka that! We agreed on something.

:-)
[Reply]
tredadda 08:54 PM 03-06-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Dude I'm sure they have a plan. I'm sure they have SEVERAL options to pivot to. I'm unconcerned. Hell, I'm excited. I can't wait to see what they're cooking up! But I'm pretty sure it's not a really expensive over 30 free agent.
Yes. KC proved that they can win without elite WRs. It’s because Mahomes has grown more. I hate using Brady as an example, but for a large part of his career he won without elite pass catchers. He had Moss and Welker for a short time and Gronk. Can’t think of any others outside of when he was in TB. This is the Mahomes path. He will have to do more with less which I think this year he showed.
[Reply]
O.city 08:56 PM 03-06-2023
If you really like a LT in this draft I think you have to entertain trading jones if the return gets you enough to not have to make a massive trade up
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:57 PM 03-06-2023
Also-I don't think drafts like 18 and 20 are a concern.

In 18 the scouting was disrupted with Dorsey leaving and Veach taking over. And in 20 everything was fucked 'cuz Covid. And Clyde. You know, who nearly every analyst said would be unfair in KC's offense. And me too. But we were wrong, all of us.

I don't expect a '22 draft every year, I but see no reason why we wouldn't continue to draft well, with all of the consistency we have in the organization. Veach, his staff, and the coaching staff are DIALED IN with an organizational stability that is rare in the NFL. Usually if you're successful, guys leave all over the place.
[Reply]
O.city 09:00 PM 03-06-2023
The issue, as I’ve said all along, is you’re basically at a spot where the things you need are just hard to find and usually go pretty high.

Lts and de types that we need are gonna require some heavy lifting. They’ll develop some guys I would think as that’s something they’ve been shown to do well
[Reply]
Megatron96 09:01 PM 03-06-2023
There will be at least one draft worse than 18 or 20. probably Veach won't have more than one or two of those over the next 10-12 years? But sooner or later the LoA will catch up to him, just like any other GM in history.
[Reply]
tredadda 09:05 PM 03-06-2023
If you really like a LT in this draft I think you have to entertain trading jones if the return gets you enough to not have to make a massive trade up
And then have a minimal pass rush?
[Reply]
O.city 09:07 PM 03-06-2023
Originally Posted by tredadda:
And then have a minimal pass rush?
Goal #1 is finding your long term LT to protect your king qb

You’d be selling high on Jones and get back enough to build up the defensive line
[Reply]
Megatron96 09:09 PM 03-06-2023
Fuck all that. We aren't trading CJ. Veach isn't that dumb.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:17 PM 03-06-2023
I actually kind of think this is a unique OT draft. It's really interesting. Less 'sure-fire' guys, but a lot of really good athletes that check all of the boxes.

Since they're NOT paying Brown record breaking money, they should keep Jonesy, extend him to get the cap hit down and roll.

Andre Dillard might be an interesting reclamation project. Just a guy to throw in the mix.
[Reply]
tredadda 09:22 PM 03-06-2023
Goal #1 is finding your long term LT to protect your king qb

You’d be selling high on Jones and get back enough to build up the defensive line
Outside of Mahomes is there anyone you won’t trade or trade for? You can protect Mahomes while keeping Jones. They are not mutually exclusive options.
[Reply]
Page 51 of 270
« First < 414748495051 5253545561101151 > Last »
Up