ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 14
< 123 456713 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>I am not a fan of Veach's "tier" approach.
Direckshun 09:02 AM 05-02-2021
The idea that he has players in layered tiers is not new, of course.

But here's the problem with it: in any tier you care to look at, the most valuable positions get drafted first, because of course they should. Quarterback, tackle, wide receiver, passrusher.

The last players to be chosen in any tier are going to be the lowest value players.

Running back. Linebacker. Interior offensive line.

And here we are. That's been the Chiefs last four picks in the 1st and 2nd rounds of the draft.

It's just not a great approach when you're always at the end of the round, which the Chiefs always will be under Reid and Mahomes. You need to be able to be more flexible.

The Chiefs selected a linebacker (which we do desperately need) and a center (which we kinda needed) when there were really good players in a lower tier still on the board.

How much better is Humphrey going to be than Blythe? Really?

Because remember that when we struggle to get a passrush in December, January, and February. Remember that in the Super Bowl when the Bucs run out the exact same coverage that blanketed us the first time and we still don't have a WR2 that can break free of 1 on 1 coverage. Remember that when, god forbid, one of our corners go down with injury in week 7 and we have to watch Rashad Fenton get raked for 8 weeks.

That being said, the Chiefs did get better this weekend. They just could have gotten a lot better this weekend, with how sexy the board looked when they were up to pick.

Pick by pick reviews.

LB Nick Bolton, Missouri -- The Chiefs probably have the best linebacking corps now that they've had in a decade. Hitchens finally seems to understand the system, Gay looked really solid all year and came on until his injury, and Bolton's going to be really good. He's a smart player with limited athleticism, so really a perfect Spags linebacker. But he may be a two-down player, and I see a lot of Kawika Mitchell in him -- neither of those are deserving of the 2nd round pick we spent. C-

C Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma -- I think Humphrey has Pro Bowl upside, and honestly the Chiefs track record on 2nd round centers is stellar with Mitch Morse and Rodney Hudson. I think he's going to be a starter here for 10 years. I'd had preferred other players, but this was a good get. A-

DE Joshua Kaindoh, Florida State -- I really don't like this pick, and only talked myself into it the day of the draft because we are so desperate at the position. Kaindoh has every bit of the size you need, but he just has no feel for the game. This is a Demetrius-Harris-sized project. Harris turned out to be pretty good, but it took us four years to get there. Kaindoh may yield the same returns at a different position. D+

TE Noah Gray, Duke -- I really hope the loss of Anthony Sherman didn't mess with our heads badly enough to take this guy, as the team later was communicating he could be a flex fullback. It's hard for me to get too worked up about Gray, however, one way or the other. I think he's fine, but a poor fit, but the 5th round on was just garbage in terms of options. C+

WR Cornell Powell, Clemson -- The questions with Powell entirely will be between the ears. He is already physically maxed out and is pretty great with the ball in his hands. I imagine he will peak out in a couple seaons as a WR3 in our offense, but if the Chiefs continue to fail to find a really good WR2, he could ascend to a shrug-WR2, someone to play the position non-pathetically until we find the next Sammy Watkins. I think his ceiling is Chris Conley, which is nothing to write home about, but that's a really great get in a draft this garbage. B+

OG Tre Smith, Tennessee -- Home run. No question. This is why you don't burn $80m on a guard, or draft one in the 2nd round. Dorsey made his living finding really good guards late in the draft, and Veach has finally done it himself. Smith will not crack the lineup this year, but he's going to be our starting RG in 2022 -- bank on it. I have no idea how Veach landed this, when it was late in the 6th round and teams were just taking long snappers because there was no talent left on the board. A+
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:47 AM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
I think they view him more of a pass rushing lber/de.

I don’t like it but with those two the upside is so high in what they can be I guess it makes sense
Then take Jaelan Phillips and get an actual DE. That hybrid shit in the top 20 doesn’t make sense to me when it’s back to back years like that.
[Reply]
O.city 09:49 AM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
A LB at 58 when one of your weakest positions on defense is LB....is not a bad pick.

But you’ve got teams like the Cardinals who just took another LB or the Jags who took a 3rd down RB in the first round and all the talking heads are in love with those picks.
I think off ball linebackers have been devalued too much. I don’t like having to be in subpackage stuff so much because it makes you vulnerable. I like bulking the position up so I’m more ok with it than some.
[Reply]
O.city 09:50 AM 05-02-2021
Then take Jaelan Phillips and get an actual DE. That hybrid shit in the top 20 doesn’t make sense to me when it’s back to back years like that.
Depends.

If you have a dc that can do it, versatility on defense is so huge. If it were Belicheck Or someone like that, I’d be more optimistic.

Collins is basically or hopefully a better reddick I think is their thoughts
[Reply]
O.city 09:52 AM 05-02-2021
Bolton is worth the fact that when Hitchens gets tired or hurt....we won’t have to see Niemann come into the field at MLB.
I’m not a huge fan of taking guys that early to replace future contracts in that they don’t get as much experience but you just can’t bypass the value of the actual player
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:58 AM 05-02-2021
There just weren’t any DEs left at that point. Tends to happen when you have teams like the Colts and Bills taking two each with their first two picks.

And the Colts better be praying that Fisher is healthy by the start of Week 1 because they have no LT.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:01 AM 05-02-2021
While the PFF and AP idiots are overly concerned with positional value and trading draft picks away, the Chiefs have completely rebuilt their OL into a strength.

They said paying a G like Thuney was bad.

Trading away picks to pay Orlando Brown was bad.

Drafting a C at 63 was bad.

They ignore the overall picture and results in favor of their “rules”.

It’s fucking dumb.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:03 AM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
I’m not a huge fan of taking guys that early to replace future contracts in that they don’t get as much experience but you just can’t bypass the value of the actual player
This.

You just got a guy that was projected to go in the 30’s at 58 and he will be responsible for almost $10M in cap savings next year when they can let Hitchens go. It’s absolutely worth it.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:03 AM 05-02-2021
FYI, Daniel Jeremiah liked our draft.
[Reply]
O.city 10:04 AM 05-02-2021
There just weren’t any DEs left at that point. Tends to happen when you have teams like the Colts and Bills taking two each with their first two picks.

And the Colts better be praying that Fisher is healthy by the start of Week 1 because they have no LT.
They stuck to their board. I didn’t really read or watch anything about Kwity but I would imagine they didn’t feel he’d be there or thought pass rusher was a bigger issue than LT. Whoever plays LT for them will play next to Nelson so he’ll get help.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:04 AM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Of course he did. He’s a football guy. Not an analytics guy.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:05 AM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
A lot of talking heads have. Our average score is a B.
[Reply]
O.city 10:10 AM 05-02-2021
When you’re a team like kc and you don’t really have a gaping hole and have a super talented roster, you take good football players that fall for dumb reasons

The ones that did for the chiefs may not be at high level positions you’d like but really you don’t get to make that decision unless you wanna trade up
[Reply]
staylor26 10:16 AM 05-02-2021
Daniel Jeremiah had Bolton 30th. He feels the Chiefs got a 1st round player (in this draft) at 58.

BuT PoSiTiOnAl VaLuE!!

Value IS value.
[Reply]
Dante84 10:18 AM 05-02-2021
I’ll say this. I love that Bolton hits like Greg Wesley and DJ, if nothing else.

It’s going to be nice to have a scary hitter again, after what seems like years of finesse players.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:20 AM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Daniel Jeremiah had Bolton 30th. He feels the Chiefs got a 1st round player (in this draft) at 58.

BuT PoSiTiOnAl VaLuE!!

Value IS value.
Production per unit Salary Cap.

That is what we need to be concerned with.

The likelihood of Humphrey providing more production than a picked through selection for WR 2 is pretty high IMO.

I don't know a ton about Bolton, but if he can play, he's probably right up there. From the little I've seen there is some risk athletically, but I don't know much.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 14
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up