ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 24 of 26
« First < 142021222324 2526 >
Media Center>Megadeth > Metallica
Dayze 11:51 PM 01-26-2014
To start off:
I'm a HUGE Metallica fan. In fact my first 5 years of playing electric guitar was solely based on Metallica. I started off playing Bluegrass guitar with my dad, even though my soul wasn't bluegrass.

My first exposure to Metallica was hearing "Nothing Else Matters" on MTV before school waiting for my buddy to pick me up for school. I asked my brother if he had ever heard of them, and of course he had. He handed me a tape that had zero information of it. in that all the 'font' (for lack of a better word) was gone. It was a simple 'blank" tape. It was weathered, and the only thing I could determine that it was a Metallica tape was simply my brother's word. It was Master of Puppets Within 4 weeks, I had owned everything of Metallica and had thrown bluegrass by the wayside.

Long loving Metallica fan for years; devoted. Having heard Megadeth and loving a few of their songs, I was still committed to Metallica. However, years later, I've discovered that I may have been premature in my categorization of music.

Years had passed since I had really 'listened' to Megadeth. Years, as in 10+. Then, I stumbled upon a Megadeth record. While it escapes my memory at this point, the collective memory of the tunes has lead me to the belief that Megadeth is better than Metalica.

While some, to what degree I don't know, may have always held this belief, the discovery of Megadeth is a new one for me. After listening to many records, Im beginning to feel more confident in saying that Megadeth is better. Obviously, it's subjective.

Metallica's "Black" Album is equivalent to Pink Floy'd "The Wall" in terms of impact. However, Megadeth's "Symphony of Destruction", has been severely over-shadowed by the 'Black" album of Metallica. Subsequently, as it had been up to that point, Megadeth had fallen by the wayside. "Symphony of Destructions' release around the same time, was over-shadowed by the Black album.

After what was a universal success of the Black album, Megadeth seemed to finally have received the kill shot. But, if we are to look at the records and time frame comparatively, I think Megadeth got the short end of the stick.

Since then, Megadeth has sustained their status despite radio and marketing support. I've listened to several Megadeth albums/tunes from the "Black" album going forward, and I must say they are not getting the credit that is due. In some aspects, they blow Metallica out of the water. To be honest, they are quickly surpassing Metallica.

I've always been a huge fan of Megadeth since the Mechanix type songs. But since Peace Sells Who's Buying album, Megadeth has gotten the shaft. By a LONG shot.

TLDR....but oh well.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:30 PM 05-14-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
I fucking love it. They captured the that 80's hair/glam metal sound to perfection while embracing the cheesiness of the era. Except their lyrics are wildly more entertaining and memorable than some of the real 80's glam bands.
The funny thing is that all of those guys were rotating in a 70's Disco Band called Boogie Knights, which became so big that there were spinoff bands like Bootie Quake and a few others.

Then, Ralph started Atomic Punks, the Van Halen tribute band. He called me before Bart Walsh but that just wasn't my trip. Russ (Satchel) did it for a while, then Bryan Young (who ended up touring with David Lee Roth).

The whole thing started when Ralph, Russ, Joe (the original bassist) and the rotating drummer (my favorite was always Ray Luzier, who's been in Korn for a decade or more) hosted Sunday Night Jams at the Viper Room then later, The Roxy. Everyone used to sit in, from Joe Perry & Steven Tyler to Billy Duffy & Ian Astbury to even Steve Jones & John Taylor! The list goes on and on.

Then, one day, Russ called me and said "Dude! We just got hired for a Discovery Card commercial! Danger Kitty!!!!". From there, it really took off and a few years later, they changed their name. But Joe and Ralph were still doing Atomic Punks and even Disco gigs so they didn't get super serious about it until much later.
[Reply]
Mennonite 12:39 PM 05-14-2021
Thoughts on the Risk album?

[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 02:44 PM 05-14-2021
Steel Panther, baby!

[Reply]
htismaqe 03:11 PM 05-14-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:

Definitely different and not every Megadeth fan's cup of tea.

It lives up to its title.
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:15 PM 05-14-2021
Just gonna use this random thread to bitch for a minute

Crue just canceled their 2021 makeup tour for the canceled 2020 show with Def Leppard, Poison, and Joan Jett until 2022

They can all get FUCKED

Told my buddy who's always in charge of tickets to get me a refund asap, there is absolutely NO good reason to cancel this year... The Original LA Bad Boys are apparently now a bunch of soft, old, chicken hearted bitches

By the time 2022 rolls around, Mick Mars will be rolling around in a fucking wheelchair!!!
[Reply]
Bowser 04:40 PM 05-14-2021
Steel Panther, baby!

[Reply]
GloucesterChief 04:46 PM 05-14-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:

It has some tracks that I like.
[Reply]
Bowser 04:49 PM 05-14-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
The funny thing is that all of those guys were rotating in a 70's Disco Band called Boogie Knights, which became so big that there were spinoff bands like Bootie Quake and a few others.

Then, Ralph started Atomic Punks, the Van Halen tribute band. He called me before Bart Walsh but that just wasn't my trip. Russ (Satchel) did it for a while, then Bryan Young (who ended up touring with David Lee Roth).

The whole thing started when Ralph, Russ, Joe (the original bassist) and the rotating drummer (my favorite was always Ray Luzier, who's been in Korn for a decade or more) hosted Sunday Night Jams at the Viper Room then later, The Roxy. Everyone used to sit in, from Joe Perry & Steven Tyler to Billy Duffy & Ian Astbury to even Steve Jones & John Taylor! The list goes on and on.

Then, one day, Russ called me and said "Dude! We just got hired for a Discovery Card commercial! Danger Kitty!!!!". From there, it really took off and a few years later, they changed their name. But Joe and Ralph were still doing Atomic Punks and even Disco gigs so they didn't get super serious about it until much later.
That's awesome, haha.

I'm sure you've been aware of this for years, but I just learned not terribly long ago that Russ was Rob Halford's guitarist when he went solo with Fight.

[Reply]
KCUnited 04:50 PM 05-14-2021

[Reply]
Bowser 04:54 PM 05-14-2021
And apropos to basically nothing outside my previous post, here's a duet with Rob Halford and Bruce Dickinson

Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Just gonna use this random thread to bitch for a minute

Crue just canceled their 2021 makeup tour for the canceled 2020 show with Def Leppard, Poison, and Joan Jett until 2022

They can all get FUCKED

Told my buddy who's always in charge of tickets to get me a refund asap, there is absolutely NO good reason to cancel this year... The Original LA Bad Boys are apparently now a bunch of soft, old, chicken hearted bitches

By the time 2022 rolls around, Mick Mars will be rolling around in a fucking wheelchair!!!
Well what the hell. I was supposed to go to that show in August here, are they canceling the thing outright now?
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:07 PM 05-14-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:
And apropos to basically nothing outside my previous post, here's a duet with Rob Halford and Bruce Dickinson

Well what the hell. I was supposed to go to that show in August here, are they canceling the thing outright now?
:-) those two powerhouse vocalists mix perfectly :-)

According to my bud who stays on top of all the latest news, Crue has cancelled the entire tour AGAIN until 2022

They've been on my bucket list since forever, but I'm totally over it now... just gimme my money back you tired old turds
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:02 PM 05-14-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:
That's awesome, haha.

I'm sure you've been aware of this for years, but I just learned not terribly long ago that Russ was Rob Halford's guitarist when he went solo with Fight.
Yep but Russ only played on the first album. He quit before the second and IIRC, he may have quit in between tours.

Funny thing is that Russ had a band in which he sang lead and tried for years and years to record deal but it never happened. They were a pop band, believe it or not, and Russ was the lead vocalist.

I'd always go out to support him (and all my friends that played in clubs) but it always like me and the same other nine people at his gigs but he just wouldn't give up.

Man, those were the days! Going out every single night for years on end seeing other bands, my friends' bands, sitting in, jamming with other great LA players and of course, the chicks, even though I was broke AF. It's almost as if I've led multiple lives.
[Reply]
Dayze 08:41 AM 05-16-2021
man, my days of spending north of $100 for a ticket to see a live band are over .
We went to Crue Fest a while back, and while Godsmack was great opening for them, Crue sucked so much shit. all of us stood there in our spots/seats, just looking at each other like".....WTF is this". It was awful. Fast forward a few years later, and we dropped good money to see GNR w/ Axl; knowing it was only Axl from the original lineup. My god...it was awful. It was ALL Axl and kick drum. you couldn't even hear any of the guitars, no bass..... so bad.

wife and I just went to the lobby of the Midland Theater and hung out, had some beers waiting for it to end and the rest of our group to come out. was so bad I couldn't even bring myself to sit through it.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 09:56 PM 05-16-2021
These are the kind of debates I had my my bud back in the mid 80's after Peace Sells came out.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:52 AM 05-17-2021
Originally Posted by Dayze:
man, my days of spending north of $100 for a ticket to see a live band are over .
We went to Crue Fest a while back, and while Godsmack was great opening for them, Crue sucked so much shit. all of us stood there in our spots/seats, just looking at each other like".....WTF is this". It was awful. Fast forward a few years later, and we dropped good money to see GNR w/ Axl; knowing it was only Axl from the original lineup. My god...it was awful. It was ALL Axl and kick drum. you couldn't even hear any of the guitars, no bass..... so bad.

wife and I just went to the lobby of the Midland Theater and hung out, had some beers waiting for it to end and the rest of our group to come out. was so bad I couldn't even bring myself to sit through it.
The most I've paid recently for a ticket is $40.

Most of the shows I go to are $15 and under. I love small venues and fringe bands.
[Reply]
Page 24 of 26
« First < 142021222324 2526 >
Up