ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Media Center>Laptops Thunderbolt Question
Coach 12:19 PM 05-15-2021
So I have 2 questions that I am hopeful that someone can assist me on what I hope to accomplish. I probably know the answer to my own question based on my own research, but want to double check, since I am not quite familiar with this.

Background: A buddy of mine has a laptop (Lenovo T480 Model) for work. Currently he is using a laptop screen and the HDMI port for one external monitor. This buddy wants to see if he can use another monitor. He has researched that the laptop graphics is Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620.

On the laptop, it does have 1 HDMI (which is currently in use for 1 monitor as mentioned above) on the right side (see #8 on the image below).

On the left side of the laptop, it has a "thunderbolt" symbol (#4 on the image below) - which is not currently in use for anything. Further research shows that it has 1x USB 3.1 Gen1 Type C and 1x USB 3.1 Gen2 Type C/Intel Thunderbolt 3.

The 1st question is: Can he use the thunderbolt port to utilize for an 2nd monitor?

Research shows Lenovo's website for this model can support up to 3 monitors (2 external monitors and the laptop - which is the accomplished goal).

The 2nd question applies if the 1st question is "YES": Is it better to get a cord with a male connection to the thunderbolt and a male connection HDMI to the monitor, or to get a male connection to the thunderbolt and a female connection HDMI (adapter), and connect the HDMI cords together?
[Reply]
displacedinMN 01:18 PM 05-20-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
All Mac models 4 yrs old or newer will support at least 2 external displays.
Sorry, mac air. Early 2015. 1.5 g processor.

I hate macs.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:21 PM 05-20-2021
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
Sorry, mac air. Early 2015. 1.5 g processor.

I hate macs.
You're nuts. :-)
[Reply]
Rausch 03:11 PM 05-20-2021
Originally Posted by Stryker:
Ok that will actually work! Forgive me! :-) Did not see that - please forgive me!
Reassuring that IT couldn't diagnose the problem for 12 posts...:-)
[Reply]
Rausch 03:12 PM 05-20-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
All Mac models 4 yrs old or newer will support at least 2 external displays.
Purchased my last mac in 2012. I'm done.

I'll be feeling dirty and buying a prebuilt PC in the next month or two...
[Reply]
Fish 09:38 PM 05-20-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Rumors are that they're going to move towards rectifying that. They're adding ports back to the next MacBook Pro from what I've read.

Hopefully they get it. The thing about ARM is that it allows a lot more space while preserving the thin design because of the thermal advantages over Intel. It should allow them to add back more peripherals.

I hold out hope that things will improve as they iterate on their own silicon. I think it certainly looks promising.
Well they really should, because it's stupid to not include ports when there's current room for it in the chassis and plenty of power for it. Hell the current M1 Macbook Pro can presently provide video output to both TB4/USB-C ports, but they choose to limit it to one, unless you run DisplayLink software. It's dumb.

I've got the new M1 Macbook Pro. 16GB RAM. I have to say, the performance is very impressive for Apple silicon apps. With x86 apps in Rosetta, there's really not that much of a performance difference between the latest top-line Intel models. Noticeable though. But the Apple Silicon coded apps? Wow... Crazy fast. Navigation is so smooth. Battery life is incredible.

For comparison, I just setup this beast earlier this week. 3.2Ghz Zeon. 48GB RAM. 2TB flash SSD.

Performance for the most part, is visibly better on the M1. Just feels much snappier. I really thought it would be much closer. But these new M1 machines are no joke. Once developers catch up with coding ARM apps/drivers/extensions, it's going to be even more noticeable.

Got a M1 Mac Mini on the way. That little beast has 10GB ethernet available for a $100 upgrade. The really cool thing... it doesn't share any bandwidth with the rest of the system. Linus did a test hooking up like 8 USB-C devices, and could not affect the network speed at all. It was really impressive.

This new batch of ARM Apple Silicon has incredible potential. Best Apple hardware improvement in a long time...
[Reply]
Fish 09:43 PM 05-20-2021
Originally Posted by Rausch:
Purchased my last mac in 2012. I'm done.

I'll be feeling dirty and buying a prebuilt PC in the next month or two...
You're missing out. The current new line is pretty incredible. Apple has provided a really impressive alternative to the ever more power hungry Intel beast. They've shown that ARM can not only compete, but blaze a trail ahead where even the best and fastest Intel can't currently follow.

This is coming from a life long Intel fanboy currently typing on a Windows 10 gaming rig.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:08 PM 05-24-2021
The Apple silicon is a game changer. Can't be understated how great the M1 is and it's still in its infancy.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Up