ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 67 of 3903
« First < 17576364656667 68697071771171675671067 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Donger 07:53 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by Third Eye:
I mean, I hate to be that guy, but there’s actually a lot to argue about that. What can’t be argued is that 105K CONFIRMED cases have resulted in 3,500 deaths. I don’t think anyone is doubting that the actual number of infected is much higher. It also seems to have a slower transmission rate. As a result, while it does seem to be more fatal than seasonal influenza, the ultimate mortality rate may end up being similar. Time will tell.
That is what I'm saying cannot be argued. And yes, that may be. But we have the numbers we have at present, and those numbers tell us that the percentage of people who got this virus and died from it is presently at 3.4%
[Reply]
suzzer99 07:56 PM 03-07-2020
I mean, I hate to be that guy, but there’s actually a lot to argue about that. What can’t be argued is that 105K CONFIRMED cases have resulted in 3,500 deaths. I don’t think anyone is doubting that the actual number of infected is much higher. It also seems to have a slower transmission rate. As a result, while it does seem to be more fatal than seasonal influenza, the ultimate mortality rate may end up being similar. Time will tell.
Yeah I think for sure the actual rate is much lower than 3.4%. Unless you mandatorily test everyone every day, the death rate for confirmed cases is always going to be lower than the true death for all cases.

So if the actual death rate ends up being say .3% of all cases (assuming we had godlike power to know all cases), it will be horrible. But life will go on. It will be much less impactful than the Spanish Flu and maybe inline with the 1957 flu.

My biggest concern right now is the healthcare system being completely overwhelmed at some point, and all the unexpected consequences that fall out of that - maybe riots, panic, etc.
[Reply]
BWillie 07:58 PM 03-07-2020
No. Its a much higher transmission rate than the flu. R0 value of 2 to 3 vs 1.3 or 1.5 of the flu.

China contained it because they are communist. We will not be able to contain it, at all.
[Reply]
TLO 07:59 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Yeah I think for sure the actual rate is much lower than 3.4%. Unless you mandatorily test everyone every day, the death rate for confirmed cases is always going to be lower than the true death for all cases.

So if the actual death rate ends up being say .3% of all cases (assuming we had godlike power to know all cases), it will be horrible. But life will go on. It will be much less impactful than the Spanish Flu and maybe inline with the 1957 flu.

My biggest concern right now is the healthcare system being completely overwhelmed at some point, and all the unexpected consequences that fall out of that - maybe riots, panic, etc.
You need to talk to your doctor about a Xanax prescription.
[Reply]
suzzer99 07:59 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
That is what I'm saying cannot be argued. And yes, that may be. But we have the numbers we have at present, and those numbers tell us that the percentage of people who got this virus and died from it is presently at 3.4%
Right. What you're talking about is what will matter most to an individual who has just tested positive. What are my odds? And to some degree it's a proxy for "serious enough symptoms to be tested" vs. fatality.

The problem is "serious enough to be tested" right now varies massively from country to country. And we're on the super low end. So there's a ton of uncertainty in the US at the moment. Outside of China - South Korea seems to be doing the most aggressive testing at the moment.
[Reply]
suzzer99 08:00 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Lol yeah I was so unhinged there. Good call.
[Reply]
Donger 08:06 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
No. Its a much higher transmission rate than the flu. R0 value of 2 to 3 vs 1.3 or 1.5 of the flu.

China contained it because they are communist. We will not be able to contain it, at all.
If they contained it, it wouldn't be here and around the globe.

What they need to do is stop ****ing eating civets and other critters, or at least put the meat on the grill for a few minutes.
[Reply]
Pablo 08:09 PM 03-07-2020

What they need to do is stop is stop ****ing eating civets and other critters, or at least put the meat on the grill for a few minutes.
I'm gonna eat as much raw opossum and lightly seared snake as I can. Can't tell me what to digest.
[Reply]
TLO 08:10 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by Pablo:
I'm gonna eat as much raw opossum and lightly seared snake as I can. Can't tell me what to digest.
And bats! Don't forget the bats!
[Reply]
Donger 08:11 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by Pablo:
:-)

Seriously, people should be pissed about it. Need I post the Chinese guy eating live baby mice again?
[Reply]
Rausch 08:11 PM 03-07-2020
I'm more worried about people than the virus. Fear and stupidity cause panic and there's no shortage of that these days. Plus with internet communication one tweet can do a lot of damage.

Also a lot of our PPE is made in china. If China is the world's production hub and they shut down that impacts a whole lot...
[Reply]
Rausch 08:12 PM 03-07-2020
And bats! Don't forget the bats!
I can't imagine there's a whole lot of meat on a sky rat...
[Reply]
TLO 08:14 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by Rausch:
I'm more worried about people than the virus. Fear and stupidity cause panic and there's no shortage of that these days. Plus with internet communication one tweet can do a lot of damage.

Also a lot of our PPE is made in china. If China is the world's production hub and they shut down that impacts a whole lot...
People fear the unknown. It's basic human instinct.

I'm somewhat afraid of this, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't. I'm also not out buying every mask, bottle of hand sanitizer, and fucking roll of toilet paper at Wal-Mart.
[Reply]
keg in kc 08:14 PM 03-07-2020
My side hustle revolves around medical conventions. I've done this work for seventeen years, for dozens of conventions in major cities all over the US. Last Friday something happened that I had never seen before: following recent reports by the CDC and the World Health Organization, HIMSS canceled their 2020 convention in Orlando.

Now you can talk about political weaponization of this virus by either side of the Dem/rep.aisle, or about the media panicking the public, but this cancellation makes it obvious to me that this is a real thing. Events with 45000 registered attendees do not cancel for something that's no worse than the flu. This isn't the first event to be cancelled in the last week, either (GDC, SXSW...), and I don't expect it to be the last.. But whatever else happens, I've never seen a convention I worked on cancelled for any reason until now. Not SARS or MERS or bird flu or zika or anything else.

Interesting side.note: President Trump was scheduled to speak about the coronavirus at the convention.
[Reply]
BWillie 08:16 PM 03-07-2020

What they need to do is stop ****ing eating civets and other critters, or at least put the meat on the grill for a few minutes.
Fair enough. But the Chinese probably did as good of a job attempting to contain it than any other country would have because they are communist. The virus has actually been reduced because of the measures they took.
[Reply]
Page 67 of 3903
« First < 17576364656667 68697071771171675671067 > Last »
Up