Page 172 of 934
« First < 72122162168169170171172 173174175176182222272672 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:44 PM 12-26-2018
Originally Posted by scho63:
You enjoy this and give pretty solid advice. Ever think of taking CPA classes and hanging up a shingle on the weekends as a CFP? :-)
FWIW, CPA and CFP have virtually nothing to do with each other.

CPA = Certified Public Accountant
CFP = Certified Financial Planner

The similarities end with requiring certification and continuing education, the similarities pretty much end there.

Becoming a full on CFP would be a massive undertaking. Meaning He would have to take a fuckload of courses, the exam, and work under a CFP for a really long time.

This would be a full on career change.

That being said, many "financial planners" aren't certified. Most fucknuts Series 5, 6, or 7 certifications so they can sell bullshit ass products for bullshit ass companies.

I don't know if there are any other certifications out there, but I wouldn't recommend going the full CFP route.

https://www.cfp.net/become-a-cfp-pro...n-requirements
[Reply]
lewdog 07:44 PM 12-27-2018
Originally Posted by Buehler445:

The similarities end with requiring certification and continuing education, the similarities pretty much end there.

Becoming a full on CFP would be a massive undertaking. Meaning He would have to take a fuckload of courses, the exam, and work under a CFP for a really long time.

That being said, many "financial planners" aren't certified. Most fucknuts Series 5, 6, or 7 certifications so they can sell bullshit ass products for bullshit ass companies.

I don't know if there are any other certifications out there, but I wouldn't recommend going the full CFP route.

Fuck your man.

Crushing my dreams!

Yea, no more school for me ever. Spent too many years there to go back for anything.
[Reply]
Tornado 07:51 PM 12-27-2018
anyone buy weed?
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 08:38 PM 01-02-2019
Initiated my IRA transfer tonight. Thanks for the heads up Cook about Apple before I deposited. I might DCA in this year a bit.
[Reply]
Rain Man 08:48 PM 01-02-2019
Well, I ended that year down 5.8 percent. But before you laugh at me, I apparently beat the S&P 500.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:21 PM 01-02-2019

Can always do the Accredited Financial Counselor thing..
[Reply]
kstater 10:33 PM 01-02-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Well, I ended that year down 5.8 percent. But before you laugh at me, I apparently beat the S&P 500.

Take it and run. I did my best not to panic, look at the IRA too much, and ended down 12.8. The good news is I’m still a long ways from needing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
[Reply]
scho63 11:57 PM 01-02-2019

Yes I know but most successful CFPs I know began their lives as CPAs. I think it's a natural transition.

Most of you guys maybe too young to remember this how but how about "Silver Screen Limited Partnerships" sold by Lehman Brothers as tax shelters in the late 80's? Fucking disasters.......:-)
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:47 AM 01-03-2019
Originally Posted by scho63:
Yes I know but most successful CFPs I know began their lives as CPAs. I think it's a natural transition.

Most of you guys maybe too young to remember this how but how about "Silver Screen Limited Partnerships" sold by Lehman Brothers as tax shelters in the late 80's? Fucking disasters.......:-)
There really isn’t a lot of overlap there. It would be a massive undertaking to switch from CPA to CFP if I understand the rules properly.
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:59 AM 01-03-2019
Originally Posted by kstater:
Take it and run. I did my best not to panic, look at the IRA too much, and ended down 12.8. The good news is I’m still a long ways from needing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ouch. Did something in particular tank on you?

I have three different accounts that I manage, two IRAs and one that's liquid savings. One of them was a rock and only lost 2.5 percent. The second one did pretty good as well, relatively speaking, and was down 3.2 percent.

But the third one was down 14.0 percent. It seemed like all of my overweighted stocks in that account tanked, even though there was no particular pattern among them. My second-biggest holding in that account (THO) got pulverized this year, losing over 60 percent, and it was about 8 percent of my total holdings in that account. But hey, now it's low so I'm buying a little more. It'll go back up eventually, right?
[Reply]
BigRichard 08:56 AM 01-03-2019
I just dropped some money into me and my wife's Roth IRA. Give me some good ideas to invest it in.
[Reply]
Nightfyre 10:53 AM 01-03-2019
Index funds
[Reply]
BigRichard 11:04 AM 01-03-2019
Originally Posted by Nightfyre:
Index funds
There are lots of index funds. Looking to narrow the search. Considering some HealthCare iShare ETFs... seems to be one of the better ones.
[Reply]
scho63 02:36 PM 01-03-2019
Cashing in my stock account during my move to Scottsdale looked foolish for the next 12-16 months.

Now I look like an idiot savant.
[Reply]
MahiMike 02:51 PM 01-03-2019
I'm looking for advice on how to pick a good CFP. I realize many aren't certified. In the past I just used a good newsletter to pick stocks. This year I'm looking for professional advice.

Picking a 'guy' is as tough as picking the stock.

Also my 401k only let's me do mutual funds. I'm used to buying stocks.

Any advice here?
[Reply]
Page 172 of 934
« First < 72122162168169170171172 173174175176182222272672 > Last »
Up