ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 83
1 23451151 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>*** 2022 Mock Draft Megathread ***
duncan_idaho 12:45 PM 11-23-2021
Got a mock? Pop it in this thread. Include a picture if you want. Explain your reasoning if you want. Talk about your crushes... if you want.

See a good "pro" mock? Link it up in here and I'll add it to the OP.

Duncan's latest mock

Site
The Draft Network This mock seems to be the most accurate site right now, so I go with this one. I don't pay for it, so no trades here. The plan is for this to be my last mock. I'm going to do it differently, though. I'm running 3 scenarios, and eschewing the 7th round picks, which I would use on a big swings on athleticism and potential. Lotto tickets. James Houston IV is one of them. Note: I used PFF to simulate the trade action, then manually backed up in the 2 "trade" drafts to make selections. Laborious, but gives you best of both worlds, IMO. I think PFF's trade tool is the best, but its board is whack.

Draft slot: 29

Scenario 1: The Chiefs sit pat with their picks and don't make any moves at all. Seems the least likely, but hey...
1.29 | George Karlaftis, DE, Purdue.
1.30 | Boye Mafe, DE, Minnesota.
2.50 | George Pickens, WR, Georgia.
2.62 | Travis Jones, DT, UConn.
3.94 | Zyon McCollum, CB, Sam Houston State.
3.103(Comp for Poles) | Troy Andersen, LB, Montana State.
4.121 | Coby Bryant, CB, Cincinnati.
4.135 | Velus Jones, Jr., Tennessee

Scenario 1 Debrief:
So, sitting and waiting to see what comes to me was pretty successful here. The Chiefs FLOOD the defensive line with reinforcements, including at least 1 ready-made starter and two guys who should - at minimum - be in 50/50 rotations at their spots by year end. The Chiefs still get a big outside WR with tantalizing potential. They add some crazy athletic small-school guys, and a mid-round corner who just fits in the system, and a dynamo return man who might be more at WR.

This looks pretty good. Though I have a hard time believing Karlaftis just falls to 29...

Scenario 2: The Chiefs get aggressive and trade up. But for what? In this case, let's go wide receiver. In this run, Kansas City trades picks 29, 62, and a 2023 3rd to Houston for pick 13 and a 2023 4th, because they ARE as obsessed with a WR as people expect and are aggressive to go get him when the board falls right. They then trade BACK from 30 to 35 with the Jets, also including pick 94 in order to get 69 back. Then, last but not least, KC gets aggressive one more time and moves 103 and 121 for 85 from New England, leaving the Chiefs with 6 picks in the first four rounds.
1.13 | Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama.
2.35 | Cam Thomas, DE, San Diego State.
2.50 | Jalen Pitre, S, Baylor.
3.69 | Zachary Carter, DT, Florida.
3.85 | Sam Williams, DE, Ole Miss.
4.135 | Jaylen Watson, CB, Washington State

Scenario 2 Debrief:
I'm not saying KC should do this or even that I think they will (more on that in a few minutes). I'm just saying, man, what will it look like if the Chiefs get aggressive a few times AND are doing the big move for a WR? In this scenario, KC obviously believes Williams is a game-changer at the NFL level and is taking a small 2022 hit to make 2023+ better. The defensive line still gets reinforced, but the reinforcements are all a shade worse than the sit-pat draft option. If you like Kingsley Enagbare or Josh PAscal more than Thomas, I get it and wouldn't quibble at one of those guys instead. Logan Hall, too. Pitre is such a screaming perfect fit for KC's D. Carter is a great physical talent you can dream about coaching up. Williams' utility is known and gives them a true RE option to pair against their higher-drafted bigger guy. Watson is a developmental corner.

I don't love it. I think Pitre makes the secondary a lot better and makes it easier to move on from Thornhill after 22. They have improved the defensive rotation, though one of the DEs would need to outperform expectations in Year 1 to get it to the same level as Scenario 1. In all, giving up the 2 extra selections in the top 4 rounds hurts the depth you can build, but I think it's more like what KC will do.

Scenario 3: Same movements as #2
1.13 | Jermaine Johnson II, DE, Florida State.
2.35 | Christian Watson, WR, North Dakota State.
2.50 | Sam Williams, DE, Ole Miss.
3.69 | Bryan Cook, S, Cincinnati.
3.85 | Martin Emerson, CB, Miss. State.
4.135 | Braxton Jones, T, Southern Utah

Scenario 3 Debrief:
This is the type of situation where I see KC paying the price to move up... if Johnson falls this far, I'd be shocked if KC isn't aggressively moving up. With this run, I take a risky but high upside WR in Watson (but you could sub in Pickens or Jahan Dotson or Tolbert or Metchie or Skyy Moore or really any of those tier 2 guys here if you prefer). The secondary reinforcements aren't flashy but are good fits.

In this one, I think the plan has to become adding either another safety or corner in free agency before the season. Ideally, it's someone who can handle the slot and let Sneed thriver on the outside. The DL gets a major boost and some potential star power in Johnson and Williams, and the OL gets another T option and potential long-term starter to develop.

Having completed the exercise and looking at the scenariors, I like the first one the most. But it really does come down to how the board breaks.

Older mocks
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Direckshun 01:37 PM 11-23-2021
Honestly would not surprise me to see the Chiefs drop a few picks to add an additional 4th & 5th.

The Chiefs do not have a 6th, however.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 02:21 PM 11-23-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Honestly would not surprise me to see the Chiefs drop a few picks to add an additional 4th & 5th.

The Chiefs do not have a 6th, however.
They get the Ravens 6th as part of the Brown trade.
[Reply]
Direckshun 04:57 PM 11-23-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
They get the Ravens 6th as part of the Brown trade.
The Chiefs entered the 2021 offseason with two 6ths lined up for 2022. One was their natural 6th round pick, the other was one we inherited from the Ravens for Orlando Brown.

One (never clarified which) was traded for Mike Hughes. The other (never clarified which) was traded for Melvin Ingram.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 05:29 PM 11-23-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
The Chiefs entered the 2021 offseason with two 6ths lined up for 2022. One was their natural 6th round pick, the other was one we inherited from the Ravens for Orlando Brown.

One (never clarified which) was traded for Mike Hughes. The other (never clarified which) was traded for Melvin Ingram.
LOL. I had already forgotten about the Hughes trade. My bad. The lack of clarification is probably why it isn't updated on the draft sites yet.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:28 AM 11-24-2021
I run mock drafts every morning while I properly caffeinate. I like a lot of those players, and have taken them myself many times although I'm not sure they'd be around where you've taken them. Everything from round 3 on I can't find those guys at those slots and have to take them a round earlier.
[Reply]
Direckshun 11:15 AM 12-02-2021
My mock:

1.26. OT Nicholas Petit-Frere, Ohio State
2.47. WR David Bell, Purdue
3.88. DE Zachary Carter, Florida
4.119. S Nick Cross, Maryland
--mock draft gave us a 6th that we don't have--
7.224. LB Owen Pappoe, Auburn
7.244. CB De'Jahn Warren, Jackson State
[Reply]
kccrow 08:05 PM 12-02-2021
Kansas City Receives:
2022: Round 2, Pick 33
2022: Round 3, Pick 97
2022: Round 5, Pick 177
2022: Round 6, Pick 216
2022: Round 7, Pick 232
2023: Round 7

Detroit Receives:
2022: Round 1, Pick 26
2022: Round 6, Pick 209 (Wasn't required but I threw it in there since we don't have it anyhow)

Hell of a bargain trade for me on first go...

33 Round: 2 Jameson Williams WR | Alabama TRADE
57 Round: 2 Jermaine Johnson EDGE | Florida State
90 Round: 3 Zach Charbonnet RB | UCLA
97 Round: 3 Travis Jones DL | UConn TRADE
127 Round: 4 Coby Bryant CB | Cincinnati
177 Round: 5 Kenderick Duncan Jr. S | Louisville TRADE
216 Round: 6 Josh Ross LB | Michigan TRADE
229 Round: 7 Damone Clark LB | LSU
232 Round: 7 Marquis Hayes IOL | Oklahoma TRADE
235 Round: 7 Tyler Vrabel OT | Boston College
243 Round: 7 Emeka Emezie WR | NC State
257 Round: 7 Neil Farrell Jr. DL | LSU
258 Round: 7 Kyle Phillips WR | UCLA
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:50 PM 12-02-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
My mock:

1.26. OT Nicholas Petit-Frere, Ohio State
2.47. WR David Bell, Purdue
3.88. DE Zachary Carter, Florida
4.119. S Nick Cross, Maryland
--mock draft gave us a 6th that we don't have--
7.224. LB Owen Pappoe, Auburn
7.244. CB De'Jahn Warren, Jackson State
I like this. Started to do one on Draft Network and got annoyed that they have the 2nd round pick slot jacked up.

I like Warren and think he fits KC's profile nicely.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:51 PM 12-02-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Kansas City Receives:
2022: Round 2, Pick 33
2022: Round 3, Pick 97
2022: Round 5, Pick 177
2022: Round 6, Pick 216
2022: Round 7, Pick 232
2023: Round 7

Detroit Receives:
2022: Round 1, Pick 26
2022: Round 6, Pick 209 (Wasn't required but I threw it in there since we don't have it anyhow)

Hell of a bargain trade for me on first go...

33 Round: 2 Jameson Williams WR | Alabama TRADE
57 Round: 2 Jermaine Johnson EDGE | Florida State
90 Round: 3 Zach Charbonnet RB | UCLA
97 Round: 3 Travis Jones DL | UConn TRADE
127 Round: 4 Coby Bryant CB | Cincinnati
177 Round: 5 Kenderick Duncan Jr. S | Louisville TRADE
216 Round: 6 Josh Ross LB | Michigan TRADE
229 Round: 7 Damone Clark LB | LSU
232 Round: 7 Marquis Hayes IOL | Oklahoma TRADE
235 Round: 7 Tyler Vrabel OT | Boston College
243 Round: 7 Emeka Emezie WR | NC State
257 Round: 7 Neil Farrell Jr. DL | LSU
258 Round: 7 Kyle Phillips WR | UCLA
That's a lot of 7th round picks!

I think Charbonnet is going to be a great NFL back. I keep trying to find a way to mock him to KC and never feeling like the value is there for him.
[Reply]
Direckshun 10:40 PM 12-02-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Kansas City Receives:
2022: Round 2, Pick 33
2022: Round 3, Pick 97
2022: Round 5, Pick 177
2022: Round 6, Pick 216
2022: Round 7, Pick 232
2023: Round 7

Detroit Receives:
2022: Round 1, Pick 26
2022: Round 6, Pick 209 (Wasn't required but I threw it in there since we don't have it anyhow)

Hell of a bargain trade for me on first go...

33 Round: 2 Jameson Williams WR | Alabama TRADE
57 Round: 2 Jermaine Johnson EDGE | Florida State
90 Round: 3 Zach Charbonnet RB | UCLA
97 Round: 3 Travis Jones DL | UConn TRADE
127 Round: 4 Coby Bryant CB | Cincinnati
177 Round: 5 Kenderick Duncan Jr. S | Louisville TRADE
216 Round: 6 Josh Ross LB | Michigan TRADE
229 Round: 7 Damone Clark LB | LSU
232 Round: 7 Marquis Hayes IOL | Oklahoma TRADE
235 Round: 7 Tyler Vrabel OT | Boston College
243 Round: 7 Emeka Emezie WR | NC State
257 Round: 7 Neil Farrell Jr. DL | LSU
258 Round: 7 Kyle Phillips WR | UCLA
Thatís not remotely realistic but Iíll allow it.

What site do you use?
[Reply]
kccrow 12:13 AM 12-03-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Thatís not remotely realistic but Iíll allow it.

What site do you use?
I used the one in duncan's op. Kept everything default (strict trades) believe it or not.

As for the realism, I think that would be too much for Detroit to give up, plus them jumping back into the 1st for a 3rd pick is probably unrealistic too. That and the players... I feel like Ross and Clark are day 2 guys and Vrabel probably is too. Also think Jameson Williams is a top 20 guy.
[Reply]
kccrow 12:15 AM 12-03-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
That's a lot of 7th round picks!

I think Charbonnet is going to be a great NFL back. I keep trying to find a way to mock him to KC and never feeling like the value is there for him.
If the Chiefs did go RB early on in day 2, he'd probably be my guy. He's got the size the Chiefs like and he runs with great initial burst and power, and never gives up on a run. I think he's a round 2 guy though unless he runs slower than I expect.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:35 AM 12-03-2021
Added an updated mock in the OP.

Here's my recap/thoughts on it.

I think this fills a lot of needs for KC, but more long-term. Enagbare would likely need to be used in a rotation initially - not ready for full-time duty, same with Walker.

I think Williams and Ball can help immediately, though, as can Rodriguez (who would be a major upgrade from Darrell Williams as the "big" back and might threaten CEH for the bulk of carries).

Warren is depth in year 1, but has the traits to be a really good starting corner in this system.
[Reply]
staylor26 12:23 PM 12-03-2021
Jameson Williams in the 1st = instant wood
[Reply]
Page 1 of 83
1 23451151 > Last »
Up