ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 8
< 12 3456 > Last »
Media Center>So...I finally watched Waterworld this weekend
keg in kc 03:51 PM 03-07-2012
As far as I recall I'd never seen it. And to be honest I'm not sure why I watched it now. Morbid curiosity maybe. It just happened to be on HBO late and night, and it's been panned so badly I thought it was going to be the worst movie of all time. And I gotta admit that after watching it I'm kind of wondering what all the bad buzz was about. I've seen way, way, way worse movies. I can't remember much from 1995, but I'm wondering if it was one of those dogpile instances, where dumping on it was just the hip thing to do. I'm not saying it's a great flick or anything like that, but it was entertaining enough to keep me watching the whole time. I was expecting much worse than I got. Something historically bad rather than marginal.
[Reply]
notorious 04:19 PM 03-07-2012
Waterworld provided us with a couple of good lines.

"He's like a turd that won't flush"

"It does look like shit, and it feels like cold shit."

"Oh Golly Gee, a single tear rolls down my cheek."
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 04:20 PM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by Ultra Peanut:
For some reason I can't not watch The Postman for a few minutes if I stumble upon it on cable. It's weirdly appealing if unbelievably cheesy, though I've never seen more than ten minutes of it at a time.

PLUS O-DOG IS IN IT. AND K-UGER.
what chu say about my mama?
[Reply]
Mr. Laz 04:23 PM 03-07-2012
it's not terrible, it just got blasted because it ended up going 200 million over budget or something crazy.

It's fine if you don't have any expectations about it.
[Reply]
007 04:23 PM 03-07-2012
I'm sorry for your loss.
[Reply]
notorious 04:26 PM 03-07-2012
The Postman is a much better movie.
[Reply]
Frazod 04:30 PM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
The Postman was just a ridiculous premise.

Nobody did a bad job in it, I guess, but the whole thing just seemed like a really bad comic book.
I didn't find it to be ridiculous at all. A lot of the things that happened in it seemed logical - isolated communities basically surviving at the whim of nomadic raiders. Eventually something sparks them to take a stand.

I think people were expecting Fallout 3 and instead got a simple, no frills survival flick.
[Reply]
notorious 04:32 PM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by frazod:
I didn't find it to be ridiculous at all. A lot of the things that happened in it seemed logical - isolated communities basically surviving at the whim of nomadic raiders. Eventually something sparks them to take a stand.

I think people were expending Fallout 3 and instead got a simple, no frills survival flick.
This.

The setting of "The Postman" appears to be pretty accurate IMO.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 04:41 PM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by Laz:
it's not terrible, it just got blasted because it ended up going 200 million over budget or something crazy.

It's fine if you don't have any expectations about it.
Estimated budget = 175 million

Domestic box office gross = 88 million

The film did recoup it's budget in the worldwide market, but domestically it was a huge disaster.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 04:51 PM 03-07-2012
waterworld/Postman mashup RIDE POSTMAN! RIDE (pans to a scene with a sea-doo with saddlebags)
[Reply]
FAX 05:01 PM 03-07-2012
Any movie featuring Dennis Hopper as an insane, derelict tanker captain is okay with me.

FAX
[Reply]
Bambi 05:05 PM 03-07-2012
I didn't think Waterworld was that bad either.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 05:12 PM 03-07-2012
At the time, alot of people thought the Flag waving and patriotsm in The Postman was corny.

Ride Postman......Ride!!!

[Reply]
seaofred 05:18 PM 03-07-2012
My wife's Uncle actually built the floating city in Waterworld, so it's always had a special spot in our harts. My wife's uncle and aunt got to meet Costner, and thought he came off as a real jerk.

I liked it before I meet my wife, but I was only 14 when it came out, so basically any movie that showed a woman's nice butt and had things that blew up was ok by me.
[Reply]
Elwaysux 05:25 PM 03-07-2012
I liked Waterworld. Everytime someone says paper around my daughter she has to respond "paaaaper".
[Reply]
Valiant 05:25 PM 03-07-2012
Postman nor Waterworld were bad as people say they were..

People love to hate big budgets.. Though they did spend a shitload making waterworld..
[Reply]
Page 2 of 8
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up