ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Media Center>Alright supergeeks, what comics are you into right now?
Portlantis 07:28 PM 07-28-2009
I am in the process of reading Jeff Smith's Bone and Kurt Busiek's Astro City.

Just finished All-Star Superman, which was fantastic. And I don't even like Superman. Grant Morrison is just that good.

I'm sure that I'm not the only person on this board who's secure enough in their geekiness to talk about comics they enjoy. So for those of you who are into that kind of thing, what comics are rocking your world right now?
[Reply]
Jawshco 09:37 PM 02-14-2012
Here are the comics I'm really liking right now:

1. Sweet Tooth- Post Apocalyptic world where a virus is killing everyone, but instead of zombies there are human/animal hybrids being born. It's massively awesome. Both poignant and disturbing.

2. The Strange Talent of Luthor Strode- Reminds me of Invincible with the uber gore , but the teen highschooler getting superpowers from a strongman ad is also reminiscent of other titles. Still... It's pretty darn cool.

3. Punisher Max- Old Frank is a mean Frank. This title is totally overboard, but it's fun.

4. Batman and Robin- I have loved every issue of this title. This crazy little ninja Robin that is Damian Wayne is my favorite character in the bat family. I loved his recent betrayal!

5. Ultimate Spiderman- I hated the idea of Miles Morales originally . But after giving it a chance, I'm convinced it's the best and freshest Spider story since the Lizard centric- "Skins" arc. I really like Miles despite. The costume is not too shabby.
[Reply]
Jawshco 09:53 PM 02-14-2012
Other comics that I like, but that are hit and miss are:

X-factor, Uncanny X-Force, Amazing Spiderman, Fables, Kill Shakespeare, Animal Man, Bat Family titles (Girl, Woman, Nightwing, ect.), Boys, Walking Dead, Invincible, Elephant men, Darkness, Deadpool, Hulk, Avenging Spiderman, Knights of the Living Dead, 6th Gun, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, and Last Reign.

Some titles that I'm not liking or are disappointed in: Just about all of DC's new 52 (and their ugly new logo) especially the horrid Red Hood and Justice League titles. And just about all the X-title/ Avenger big "event" nonsense. These Marvel crossovers are so bad, I avoid any impending event that I can. I'm hoping they'll wake up and see what great work is being done with indie comics and second tier publishers without selling out the souls of their best characters.
[Reply]
Buck 10:06 PM 02-14-2012
Alright, just finished up the Invincible Compendium #1. I guess that puts me at just over half-way through the series. I busted that thing out pretty quick. It's a 1024 full page comic book and it took me about 10 hours over the last 2 days to read the whole thing.

I'm just sort of pissed that I don't have the rest to read right now. I think Invincible is amazing, probably better than The Walking Dead.

I also love the little nods they throw in to other DC and Marvel characters. Pretty funny.

Gonna take a 20 min break and I think I'll start on Akira.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:22 PM 02-14-2012
Current Reads:

The Boys (winding up)
The Walking Dead (didn't start until a few months ago. Read through about 90 torrents over two nights)
JLA (has always been one of my standard books)
All Star Wars stuff (Jan Dureesma is pretty strong, new comic "Dawn of the Jedi" debuts tomorrow)
G.I. Joe stuff (this is nostalgia, really, although the new books are pretty solid, IMO).

I'm thinking about starting Invincible. Sounds like it would be a good read.

Anyone read Irredeemable? It's kind of along the same lines as The Boys, if one of the viewpoint characters was the Homelander.

Also...

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Jawshco 10:28 PM 02-14-2012
Originally Posted by Buck:
Alright, just finished up the Invincible Compendium #1. I guess that puts me at just over half-way through the series. I busted that thing out pretty quick. It's a 1024 full page comic book and it took me about 10 hours over the last 2 days to read the whole thing.

I'm just sort of pissed that I don't have the rest to read right now. I think Invincible is amazing, probably better than The Walking Dead.

I also love the little nods they throw in to other DC and Marvel characters. Pretty funny.

Gonna take a 20 min break and I think I'll start on Akira.

Invincible is one of my overall favorites, but there was a stretch of issues that lost my interest that didn't pick back up again until the latter part of last year. The last several issues (maybe even the last 10) have been very good again. So it does slow down, but no fear. It gets good again.

The Walking Dead has been barely holding my interest for the last year. I'd say maybe since vol 10 (that's an estimate since I read individual issues), TWD had hasn't overly impressed me, but it's still good enough for me to purchase on Comixology for 1.99.
[Reply]
Jawshco 10:36 PM 02-14-2012
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Current Reads:

The Boys (winding up)
The Walking Dead (didn't start until a few months ago. Read through about 90 torrents over two nights)
JLA (has always been one of my standard books)
All Star Wars stuff (Jan Dureesma is pretty strong, new comic "Dawn of the Jedi" debuts tomorrow)
G.I. Joe stuff (this is nostalgia, really, although the new books are pretty solid, IMO).

I'm thinking about starting Invincible. Sounds like it would be a good read.

Anyone read Irredeemable? It's kind of along the same lines as The Boys, if one of the viewpoint characters was the Homelander.

Also...

Spoiler!
Yeah, I've read both Irredeemable and the spinoff Incorruptible by Waid. Both are okay. Irredeemable was amazing when it first started. It blew me away for about ten issues and then it really dropped off. It's a cool concept that just didn't sustain my interest for long.

I don't think Irredeemable is like Boys too much, but in the beginning when they had the "Superman" Character hunt down the Batman character- I thought it was going to blow the Boys story away- it didn't, but it starts with a bang worth reading for sure.

There's a newer one called Last of the Greats that reminds me of Irredeemable's later issues. It's just meh... For me, but if you like Irredeemable, you might like that too.
[Reply]
Buck 10:56 PM 02-14-2012
Originally Posted by Jawshco:
Invincible is one of my overall favorites, but there was a stretch of issues that lost my interest that didn't pick back up again until the latter part of last year. The last several issues (maybe even the last 10) have been very good again. So it does slow down, but no fear. It gets good again.

The Walking Dead has been barely holding my interest for the last year. I'd say maybe since vol 10 (that's an estimate since I read individual issues), TWD had hasn't overly impressed me, but it's still good enough for me to purchase on Comixology for 1.99.
Yeah, I'd say the same thing for TWD since about that same time. I bought Vol 15 like a month ago and still haven't read it. I've sort of lost interest.

Invincible I've read through Vol 9, where do you think it got stale for you, and what is Comixology?
[Reply]
Jawshco 05:29 PM 02-15-2012
Yeah, I'd say the same thing for TWD since about that same time. I bought Vol 15 like a month ago and still haven't read it. I've sort of lost interest.

Invincible I've read through Vol 9, where do you think it got stale for you, and what is Comixology?
It looks like TWD is gearing up for something interesting again with these "others ". I'LLC hang on a little while longer to see of it pans out, but if it doesn't I'll probably drop it from my reading list.

I know this isn't very specific, but I'd say the whole "blue costume" period bored me a. Bit. The whole V-War was just too much of a good thing for me. IDK... I prefer the less EPIC spacey parts of Invincible. I prefer the more intimate down to Earth stories (I have the same trouble with Green Lantern) . I also felt this way while reading the Boys after. Herogasm. Things. Just got too. Big
[Reply]
bevischief 05:41 PM 02-15-2012
There is a Dr Who/Star Trek Cross Over that will start in April and run for 8 months. Cybermen and the Borg.
[Reply]
Buck 06:02 PM 02-15-2012
It looks like TWD is gearing up for something interesting again with these "others ". I'LLC hang on a little while longer to see of it pans out, but if it doesn't I'll probably drop it from my reading list.

I know this isn't very specific, but I'd say the whole "blue costume" period bored me a. Bit. The whole V-War was just too much of a good thing for me. IDK... I prefer the less EPIC spacey parts of Invincible. I prefer the more intimate down to Earth stories (I have the same trouble with Green Lantern) . I also felt this way while reading the Boys after. Herogasm. Things. Just got too. Big
Hmmm, I just hit the Blue-Suit part and actually just read issue 60 which was pretty fucked up. Can't wait to see how long lasting the effects of that issue are. I'm sure its going to at least be 1 year of issues, which is 12.

I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. It was actually nice to have something epic happen.

Oh well, off to #61 and beyond.
[Reply]
Buck 06:38 PM 02-15-2012
Oops, I just finished the Conquest saga and am now about to get to V-War. I guess I was a little off. I'll see how I feel about it after V-War.
[Reply]
Jawshco 07:44 PM 02-15-2012
Oops, I just finished the Conquest saga and am now about to get to V-War. I guess I was a little off. I'll see how I feel about it after V-War.
If it hasn't slowed down for you yet, then it probably won't. I've been cool with it after the "return" issue. It's probably easier to read them now. It's possible that the delay I had in getting those issues was part of the reason my interest waned.
[Reply]
Jawshco 08:02 PM 02-15-2012
Originally Posted by bevischief:
There is a Dr Who/Star Trek Cross Over that will start in April and run for 8 months. Cybermen and the Borg.
I thought you were joking, but it's real. I always wished this would happen, but Doc 11 w/ Amy & Rory & Cybermen... uh, I'm kind of meh about that.

I'd rather the TARDIS show up to help fight a new villains, but have Picard throw the Doc in the brig- believing him to be a Q or something. So the real battle is between Picard and the Doctor while baddie serves as a ticking clock. Ideally this would be Doc 4 vs Picard or Doctor 3 vs Kirk. Doctor 11 seems more like the Janeway of the Doctors.
http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/t...or-who-in.html
[Reply]
Buck 09:05 PM 02-15-2012
I thought you were joking, but it's real. I always wished this would happen, but Doc 11 w/ Amy & Rory & Cybermen... uh, I'm kind of meh about that.

I'd rather the TARDIS show up to help fight a new villains, but have Picard throw the Doc in the brig- believing him to be a Q or something. So the real battle is between Picard and the Doctor while baddie serves as a ticking clock. Ideally this would be Doc 4 vs Picard or Doctor 3 vs Kirk. Doctor 11 seems more like the Janeway of the Doctors.
http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/t...or-who-in.html
The V-War does sort of suck. I mean Invincible is going to be the strongest being in the universe if he gets through it, I don't see how it can go back to being the same old comic after.
[Reply]
Fishpicker 03:37 PM 02-16-2012
the last comics I bought in single issues was when Image first started up. I bought the #1s of Spawn, Savage Dragon, Wildcats and some others. I quit reading comics after that.

recently I've been reading Savage Sword of Conan in TPB and The Northlanders. both are pretty damn good. I also have Lone Wolf and Cub comics in digest size books. its good but the size makes the lettering pretty small and it loses detail from the artwork. (was top notch ink when in regular size)
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Up