ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Media Center>Alright supergeeks, what comics are you into right now?
Portlantis 07:28 PM 07-28-2009
I am in the process of reading Jeff Smith's Bone and Kurt Busiek's Astro City.

Just finished All-Star Superman, which was fantastic. And I don't even like Superman. Grant Morrison is just that good.

I'm sure that I'm not the only person on this board who's secure enough in their geekiness to talk about comics they enjoy. So for those of you who are into that kind of thing, what comics are rocking your world right now?
[Reply]
Buck 04:54 PM 09-03-2010
Also, I've been reading 100 Bullets and DMZ. I have some Y: The Last Man trades and Scalped trades that I need to read.
[Reply]
Brock 04:58 PM 09-03-2010
They cost too freaking much. I usually wait for them to come out in compiled form.
[Reply]
Psyko Tek 01:14 PM 09-10-2010
currently reading The Boys, The Walking Dead, Scalped, Invincible, Air (it's not bad)
The Goon, Fables, DMZ, the unwritten is looking interesting

these I whole heartedly recommend

Batman, JSA, New Avengers, Spidey, and X titles and the 37 million Wolvie titles
only recommend X-Force and maybe X-factor

I also like some stuff dynamite is coming out with
Buck Rodgers and Green Hornet
think they do lone ranger and Zorro also

Hellboy and BPRD are decent

Captain America I haven't checked since dark reign
Iron Man is eh, they are trying to redeem the character since Civil war

why yes I do have alot of action figures and no they are not dolls
and no I don't live in my mom's basement

And yes have touched a nekked woman
and she didn't charge that much

[Reply]
NewChief 01:27 PM 09-10-2010
Originally Posted by Buck:
Anyone here play HeroClix per chance?
NERD!

Oh yeah... the thread is supergeeks.

I haven't played it, but quite a few people seem to at the gaming store where my RPG group meets. Is it pretty fun?
[Reply]
The Franchise 04:18 PM 09-10-2010
I used to play Magic the Gathering. :-)
[Reply]
googlegoogle 05:48 PM 09-10-2010
I'm sure hollywood will gayify 'the green lantern'.
[Reply]
googlegoogle 05:48 PM 09-10-2010
Originally Posted by Pestilence:
:-)

That was you?!
[Reply]
NewChief 05:52 PM 09-10-2010
Heh. People still do. The dudes in their 30s who have like 8 file boxes worth of cards stacked at their table in them gaming store are awesome. Of course, I'm playing d&d so who am I to judge?
[Reply]
Jenson71 04:10 PM 09-21-2010
Originally Posted by NewPhin:
I haven't played it, but quite a few people seem to at the gaming store where my RPG group meets. Is it pretty fun?
That'd be a great place to people watch.
[Reply]
NewChief 05:20 PM 09-21-2010
Originally Posted by Jenson71:
That'd be a great place to people watch.
You have no idea...

My kids were horribly disappointed, though. When I play (once ever two weeks), my wife always tells our sons, "Daddy's going to kill dragons, tonight" in a sarcastic voice while rolling her eyes. They were pretty damned disheartened when we walked past the gaming store in the strip mall one night and mom informed them that is where daddy goes to kill his dragons.
[Reply]
The Franchise 05:46 PM 09-21-2010
I haven't played D&D since I was 17.
[Reply]
NewChief 05:49 PM 09-21-2010
I haven't played D&D since I was 17.
It's pretty damned good geeky fun. Now that I'm married and could give a shit less about how geeky I am or appear to be, I really enjoy getting together for nights of immature nerdery with other adults.
[Reply]
The Franchise 05:52 PM 09-21-2010
Originally Posted by NewPhin:
It's pretty damned good geeky fun. Now that I'm married and could give a shit less about how geeky I am or appear to be, I really enjoy getting together for nights of immature nerdery with other adults.
Problem is there are no gaming stores around my area. And I'm not driving to the Bay Area to be a dork.
[Reply]
Buck 07:44 PM 09-21-2010
There is nothing wrong with being a geek...

I was at Comic Con waiting for a JJ Abrams / Joss Whedon panel and like 3 people behind me in the line were a few of my friends I didn't even know were there, so I went back to hang out with them for a couple hours while waiting for the panel to start. These 2 hot chicks were right behind them and everyone eventually just sat down and started talking to eachother. One of the hotties was talking about how she spent the night at this guys house for the first time and he had Dungeons and Dragons shit laying out in his room, and she never went out with him again because of it. I didn't say anything but I wanted to call her a bitch right there to her face, but I had to sit next to her for another hour.
[Reply]
NewChief 07:51 PM 09-21-2010
Originally Posted by BuckinSmurf:
There is nothing wrong with being a geek...

I was at Comic Con waiting for a JJ Abrams / Joss Whedon panel and like 3 people behind me in the line were a few of my friends I didn't even know were there, so I went back to hang out with them for a couple hours while waiting for the panel to start. These 2 hot chicks were right behind them and everyone eventually just sat down and started talking to eachother. One of the hotties was talking about how she spent the night at this guys house for the first time and he had Dungeons and Dragons shit laying out in his room, and she never went out with him again because of it. I didn't say anything but I wanted to call her a bitch right there to her face, but I had to sit next to her for another hour.
That's lame. But I'll admit that if I were still looking for love, I probably wouldn't be so open about my geekiness. The thing that I think I enjoy the most about the DnD (other than the game itself) is getting together with other people from nerd/geek culture. There's a shared culture there (tech, literature, movies, games, tech history, etc...) that makes for really fun, unusual conversation.

This week, for instance, we naturally segued from conversation of George RR Martin to Buffy the Vampire Slayer to Duke Nukem to various internet memes to The Last Starfighter to Iron Maiden and Bruce Dickinson... and everyone knew what we were talking about and something to say about each topic. That sort of shared knowledge among relative strangers (only a few of us are close friends outside of the game sessions) is interesting and funny.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up