ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 6
1 2345 > Last »
Media Center>Ridley Scott's Robin Hood
Fire Me Boy! 05:08 AM 03-02-2009
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0955308/

Robin Hood: Gladiator in Tights

Russel Crowe and Cate Blanchett. I'm a huge fan of Crowe anyway, and doubly so when he's paired with Ridley Scott. Interested to see how it turns out. Should be a LOT better than Costner's version.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:47 PM 03-02-2009
Sweet! Looking forward to it.
[Reply]
Nightwish 12:52 PM 03-02-2009
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:

Russel Crowe and Cate Blanchett. I'm a huge fan of Crowe anyway, and doubly so when he's paired with Ridley Scott. Interested to see how it turns out. Should be a LOT better than Costner's version.
I dunno. Despite Costner's (and Slater's) inability to accomplish a British accent, and a bit of anachronism on the part of Will Scarlet (I'm pretty sure "f**k me, he cleared it!" was not a turn of phrase that was en vogue during that era), Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves was an outstanding film, and if they want to outdo it, they've got a big hill to climb.
[Reply]
007 01:06 PM 03-02-2009
I don't hear anyone dogging Cruise for not having a German accent in his last movie. Why does coster not doing one matter?
[Reply]
HC_Chief 01:31 PM 03-02-2009
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:

Way to set the bar high! :-)

Seriously, Costner's Robin Hood was one of the worst movies of the decade. What an absolute celluloid abortion.

W/ Scott directing & Crowe leading, might as well title this one Gladiator 2: Back with bow & arrow! Hopefully this one won't be an overrated snooze-fest as well.
[Reply]
QuikSsurfer 02:04 PM 03-02-2009
Chance of a new Bryan Adams hit?
[Reply]
Nightwish 02:21 PM 03-02-2009
Originally Posted by HC_Chief:
Seriously, Costner's Robin Hood was one of the worst movies of the decade. What an absolute celluloid abortion.
Seriously, dude, it was an awesome movie. I can see someone not liking it, but "worst movie of the decade?" "Celluloid abortion?" I can only conclude that you didn't actually watch the movie, or that someone switched your copy for some tripe like Napoleon Dynamite, which was celluloid abortion.
[Reply]
HC_Chief 02:24 PM 03-02-2009
Originally Posted by Nightwish:
Seriously, dude, it was an awesome movie. I can see someone not liking it, but "worst movie of the decade?" "Celluloid abortion?" I can only conclude that you didn't actually watch the movie, or that someone switched your copy for some tripe like Napoleon Dynamite, which was celluloid abortion.
Wow. Costner's Robin Hood = awesome and Napoleon Dynamite = shit.

Gotcha.

/never EVER watching Nightwish recommended movies :-)
[Reply]
Nightwish 02:28 PM 03-02-2009
Wow. Costner's Robin Hood = awesome and Napoleon Dynamite = shit.

Gotcha.

/never EVER watching Nightwish recommended movies :-)
Well, I've met plenty of people who absolutely loved Napoleon Dynamite. But when you narrow it down to the above-100 IQ set, the number dwindles rapidly.
[Reply]
HC_Chief 02:33 PM 03-02-2009
Well, I've met plenty of people who absolutely loved Napoleon Dynamite. But when you narrow it down to the above-100 IQ set, the number dwindles rapidly.
Mmm hmm. The geniouses[sic] flock to Costner blockbusters.

Gotcha, Einstein. Have fun at the next mensa meeting.
[Reply]
Nightwish 02:47 PM 03-02-2009
Mmm hmm. The geniouses[sic] flock to Costner blockbusters.

Gotcha, Einstein. Have fun at the next mensa meeting.
You'll note that I said Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves was an outstanding movie in spite of Costner, not because of him. If your enjoyment or lack thereof starts and stops with who is in it, then you're going to really cut yourself out of a lot of potential enjoyment. Napoleon Dynamite, on the other hand, was not only not a realistic portrayal of the nerd set in high school, but it was an insult to everyone who grew up as part of that set. Of course, Revenge of the Nerds had the same problem, but at least it accomplished humor.
[Reply]
Nightwish 04:04 PM 03-02-2009
By the way, in case you didn't realize, I was mostly just messing with you. I know that Prince of Thieves wasn't an Oscar-caliber film. I was honest about Napoleon Dynamite, though - I absolutely despise that film for the very reasons I gave, as well as the fact that nobody in the film could act to save their own lives. A lot of people praised it simply on the grounds that it was a breakout indie film, as if being Indie somehow gives it some extra level of credit (it doesn't).

As far as Prince of Thieves is concerned, the acting was horrible, especially on the part of Costner and Slater (though compared to Slater's performance, Costner's was almost Oscar-worthy). What I actually liked most about it was that it was the first adaptation of the legend that I've ever come across that attempted to give it some measure of historical authenticity. Plus, it was filmed in the real Sherwood Forest, which was a nice touch.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:54 PM 03-02-2009
I don't know what to think about this movie.

They've changed the script so many times, it's hard to say exactly what they'll be shooting.

For quite a while, Russell Crowe was set to play both Robin Hood AND the Sheriff of Nottingham.

Then, it was going to be a very realistic portrayal at the end of the Crusades, with very little screen time for the Sheriff.

I think Scott just wants to shoot something before his option is up. I'll be shocked (though pleasantly surprised) if this movie is worth two shits.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 04:56 PM 03-02-2009
You'll note that I said Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
Morgan Freeman was the shit!!!!!!!!
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 04:57 PM 03-02-2009
I hate Prince of Thieves with a passion.

and im an Old School Costner fan from that era.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 6
1 2345 > Last »
Up