ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Let's revisit the DL position.
Direckshun 10:16 AM 12-23-2021
I think one thing we're learning this season, as if we didn't already know it, is that a phenomenal DL makes your entire defense look outstanding.

More to the point: we've got two Pro Bowl caliber linebackers on this team, and we need to keep them clean.

Other than finding more weapons for Mahomes, this must be the top priority of the offseason.

Under contract, we have:

DE: Clark, Kaindoh
DT: Jones, Wharton
DT: Saunders
DE: Danna

Free agents: DE Melvin Ingram, DE Alex Okafor, DT Jarran Reed, DT Derrick Nnadi

Ideally you want to enter the season with 5 DE, 5 DT.

Here are free agents in 2022.
Here are the draft prospects.
[Reply]
RunKC 04:46 PM 01-18-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Omenihu was a real nice get for SF. He and Key have been a nice little duo for them.

They've played well enough that Armstead is actually taking most of his snaps from the DT spot these days and it's changed the character of the 49ers defense quite a bit; closer to what they were when Buckner was wrecking stuff in the middle.
Exactly the kind of moves I want us to make. But to be fair Mike Danna and Tershawn Wharton were good adds for where they were taken. I think we need more talent on the edge though. I want to stack this DL 2 deep at each position
[Reply]
kccrow 08:30 PM 01-18-2022
When I think of ELITE at DE, I think of TJ Watt, Myles Garrett, Nick Bosa, Trey Hendrickson, Cam Jordan, Chandler Jones, etc. Guys that bring it every single down, every single season. These are the type of guys you pay 100 million dollars.

Clark is so far from elite that I can't even put him in the conversation.

I'm definitely on the "get more good DEs" train with you guys, I just want good to be consistent.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:06 AM 01-19-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
When I think of ELITE at DE, I think of TJ Watt, Myles Garrett, Nick Bosa, Trey Hendrickson, Cam Jordan, Chandler Jones, etc. Guys that bring it every single down, every single season. These are the type of guys you pay 100 million dollars.

Clark is so far from elite that I can't even put him in the conversation.

I'm definitely on the "get more good DEs" train with you guys, I just want good to be consistent.
Agreed. I've long thought that 4 competent dudes would outperform 3 schlubs and 1 star. (As long as you're not paying them like stars)

Clark, at this point, is finally approaching competency IMO.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:53 AM 01-19-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
When I think of ELITE at DE, I think of TJ Watt, Myles Garrett, Nick Bosa, Trey Hendrickson, Cam Jordan, Chandler Jones, etc. Guys that bring it every single down, every single season. These are the type of guys you pay 100 million dollars.

Clark is so far from elite that I can't even put him in the conversation.

I'm definitely on the "get more good DEs" train with you guys, I just want good to be consistent.
Yeah - like I said, Hendrickson at 3/$45 million as a FA is just an absolute steal. My memory is that Cam Jordan's getting even less than that.

The Chiefs gave up a 1st and 2nd then paid Clark $65 million (with $13 million in dead cap still to come) for far less consistent effort and less productivity. Just hate seeing such a massive disparity there.

I could live with overpaying a bit on cash or picks - these things happen. But man, getting strafed on both is pretty rough.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:22 AM 01-19-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Yeah - like I said, Hendrickson at 3/$45 million as a FA is just an absolute steal. My memory is that Cam Jordan's getting even less than that.

The Chiefs gave up a 1st and 2nd then paid Clark $65 million (with $13 million in dead cap still to come) for far less consistent effort and less productivity. Just hate seeing such a massive disparity there.

I could live with overpaying a bit on cash or picks - these things happen. But man, getting strafed on both is pretty rough.
it's the inconsistent effort that really sucks.

We could have TWO Ogbahs for what we pay Clark. Maybe 3.
[Reply]
RunKC 12:20 PM 01-19-2022
It looks like there are some good potential value players in FA.

Von Miller-if he wants a fair price
Arden Key
Emmanuel Ogbah
Derek Barnett
Talk McKinley


Honestly I’d be so down with keeping Ingram and bringing in Ogbah and Key if we decide to let Frank go.

Wonder what they’re thinking with Kaindoh though. Can’t rely on him
[Reply]
CatfishBob2 01:21 PM 01-19-2022
Clark is why I hate spending big money on FA's. More often than not they play well at the beginning of the contract and as their salary swells their play dwindles. I'd rather just keep churning draft picks and low budget FA project through.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:45 PM 01-19-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
It looks like there are some good potential value players in FA.

Von Miller-if he wants a fair price
Arden Key
Emmanuel Ogbah
Derek Barnett
Talk McKinley


Honestly I’d be so down with keeping Ingram and bringing in Ogbah and Key if we decide to let Frank go.

Wonder what they’re thinking with Kaindoh though. Can’t rely on him
Kaindoh is at least a 2-year project. He was just so damn raw.

Of that group I think Barnett is the best fit, then Ogbah and then Key. Ogbah is probably the best overall player but he's gonna get a pretty nice deal somewhere after consecutive 9 sack seasons - he may just be out of our range. Arden Key probably has the best bang for your buck potential as he's been real close to a breakout for a couple years and may have finally turned a corner in SF (so I suspect they'll try pretty hard to keep him).

If you could get Ogbah on one side and a Barnett/Ingram rotation on the other, you'd be in pretty nice shape.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:46 PM 01-19-2022
Originally Posted by CatfishBob2:
Clark is why I hate spending big money on FA's. More often than not they play well at the beginning of the contract and as their salary swells their play dwindles. I'd rather just keep churning draft picks and low budget FA project through.
Yeah - for a guy who fancies himself some kind of junkyard dawg, Clark's effort level sure does come and go a lot.

It's easily the most disappointing aspect of this little experiment.
[Reply]
O.city 08:16 AM Yesterday
I really like Barnett. Think he'd be a nice fit here. Bring him in and keep Ingram. Add another couple similar players and rotate them around.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up