Page 8 of 8
« First < 45678
Nzoner's Game Room>Mayock out as Raiders GM
Stewie 05:20 PM 01-17-2022
Per Schefter. Not a surprise.
[Reply]
R8RFAN 11:06 AM 01-23-2022
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
Do you think the D problem could be players instead of the DC?
Oh we need improvement in areas no doubt but Bradly won't Rush but 4 99.9 % of the time, even if you are getting good pressure sometimes you still have to blitz a player from time to time

Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
Idk, Miami may be a possibility too. There’s a good relationship between Harbaugh and Ross. Also Ross is a huge Michigan backer, so they have that commonality as well. I think he stays at Michigan honestly. He’s close to his family, and that was his dream job. Maybe one of these days he’ll do something there.
Well Miami would be a nice place too with the tax advantages but the lack of HC interviews makes me think it's Harbaugh or Bust and if it's bust it will be Coach B.
[Reply]
kccrow 12:40 PM 01-23-2022
Originally Posted by Ocotillo:
The point being is Brugler, is like former Dallas Morning News writer Rick Gosselin, being the draftnik with the most sources within the league or close to the top, so his board means something.

I looked up Daniel Jeremiah -- a former NFL personnel guy who is also well connected -- he had Ferrell to the Eagles at 25 in his final mock.

I don't care about the 100s of boards done by morons. They don't mean shit. The only ones that matter are the actual GM's boards and finding the select few expert boards that most closely resemble them.

My point was never Ferrell wasn't a first rounder. I never argued that. My point was Ferrell had no business going at No. 4 because he didn't have the measurables of an elite prospect. He was a 20s prospect, mid-first at best.

The No. 4 pick is an opportunity for a franchise to draft an All-Pro, an impact, potentially Hall of Fame player, so those picks have be hit out of the park. It's not just about Raiders picking Ferrell over Josh Allen here. They also passed on Devin White, Ed Oliver. The pick was so lousy that Mayock should have been fired right there on the spot for squandering a chance to get a true elite talent.

You knew Mayock screwed the pick when in his post-draft presser was talking about how Ferrell was inspirational leader like Ray Lewis. Well that inspirational garbage doesn't matter if Ferrell doesn't make plays, the locker room won't give a shit about that.
I get all of that. The most consistent final value board out there had him at a final rating of #14 but the #5 overall DE.

It is only a lousy pick because it didn't pan out, correct? There are countless examples of terrible picks in the top 5. It's not the defining moment of Mayock's tenure. Do we define John Lynch by his pick of Solomon Thomas at #3 overall?

If we truly want to look back, the best pick probably would have been Brian Burns.

If we look at Mayock's overall body of work, he was at least average and potentially above average if we were to look league-wide.
His 2019 draft had 6 out of 9 solid or good picks and 5 of 9 are starters.
If 2020 didn't see Ruggs be a complete idiot, he would have had 3 of 7 as good picks and 2/7 as starters.
2021 had 4/7 starters at some point and the jury will be out. Moehrig and Hobbs look like they could be pretty good. Hobbs might be an idiot though.

Veach hasn't had any better of a hit rate than that, if we're being honest about it.

Mayock's flaw, IMO, isn't identifying talent. The flaw is identifying character flags, and that very well could be the Raiders' entire system and not just Mike.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 8
« First < 45678
Up