ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Media Center>Alright supergeeks, what comics are you into right now?
Portlantis 07:28 PM 07-28-2009
I am in the process of reading Jeff Smith's Bone and Kurt Busiek's Astro City.

Just finished All-Star Superman, which was fantastic. And I don't even like Superman. Grant Morrison is just that good.

I'm sure that I'm not the only person on this board who's secure enough in their geekiness to talk about comics they enjoy. So for those of you who are into that kind of thing, what comics are rocking your world right now?
[Reply]
kcxiv 04:51 PM 02-16-2012
about 61 issues or so into the walking dead. Good shit. I didnt realize that comics were this good.

Im going to look for a few othes recommended here when i get done with The Walking Dead. So glad i gave it a shot.
[Reply]
Jawshco 07:58 PM 02-19-2012
On a comic book related note, Justice League Doom comes out this week. I haven't seen it yet, but it's based on one of the best Justice League stories ever written, JLA: Tower of Babel (This is require comic book reading!). It's probably Batman's coolest moment as well. I don't watch all the animated DC films, but some of them are quite good. I really enjoyed: "Justice League: New Frontier," "Justice Leage: Crisis on Two Earths," and "Batman: Under the Red Hood."

Tower of Babel is one of my all-time favorite comic story arcs. I'll check it out for sure. I also hope the eventually do the Batman: Hush and the Dark Knight Returns as one of their animated films in the future.
[Reply]
Bump 03:44 PM 02-22-2012
http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/unplugg...200923607.html

this is freaking cool as shit, imagine finding the holy grail?
[Reply]
Bump 03:45 PM 02-22-2012
Childhood comic collection expected to fetch $2M
By Associated Press | Unplugged – 1 hour 35 minutes ago

Email
Print

By Jamie Stengle, Associated Press

DALLAS (AP) — A comic collection that includes a staggering array of some of the most prized issues ever published was headed for auction Wednesday in New York City, where it was expected to fetch more than $2 million.

(AP Photo/Courtesy of Heritage Auctions)Among the 345 well-preserved comics bought decades ago by a Virginia boy with a remarkable knack for picking winners are 44 of The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide's top 100 issues from comics' golden age.

"This is just one of those collections that all the guys in the business think don't exist anymore," said Lon Allen, the managing director of comics for Heritage Auctions, the Dallas-based auction house overseeing the sale.

The collection includes an Action Comics No. 1, from 1938, which features the first appearance of Superman and is expected to sell for about $325,000. A Detective Comics No. 27, from 1939, features the first appearance of Batman and is expected to get about $475,000. A Captain America No. 2, from 1941, in which the hero bursts in on Adolf Hitler is expected to bring in about $100,000.

"The scope of this collection is, from a historian's perspective, dizzying," said J.C. Vaughn, associate publisher of Overstreet.

Most comics from the golden age — the late 1930s into the 1950s — fell victim to wartime paper drives, normal wear and tear and mothers throwing them out, said Vaughn. Of the 200,000 copies of Action Comics No. 1 produced, about 130,000 were sold and the about 70,000 that didn't sell were pulped. Today, experts believe only about 100 copies are left in the world, he said.

The collection up for auction was discovered last year by a man cleaning out his late great aunt's house in Martinsville, Va., following her death. When Michael Rorrer opened up a basement closet, he found the neatly stacked comics that had belonged to his late great uncle Billy Wright, who died in 1994 at age 66.
Experts say the comics are significant not only for the number of rare books, but also because they were kept in such good condition and because they were kept for all of these years by a man who bought them as a boy.

"There were some really hard to find books that were in really, really great condition," said Paul Litch, the primary grader at Certified Guaranty Company, an independent certification service for comic books.

"You can see it was a real collection," Litch said. "Someone really cared about these and kept them in good shape."

Rorrer, 31, of Oxnard, Calif., took half the comics home with him and his mother took the other half to give to his brother Jonathan in Houston. He said he didn't realize their value until months later, when he mentioned the Captain America No. 2 to a co-worker who mused that it would be something if he had Action Comics No. 1.

"I went home and was looking through some of them, and there it was," said Rorrer, who then began researching the collection's value in earnest.

Once Rorrer realized how important the comics were, he called his mother, Lisa Hernandez, of League City, Texas, who still had the box for his brother at her house. The two then went through their boxes, checking comic after comic off the list.

Hernandez said it really hit her how valuable the comics were when she saw the look on Allen's face after he came to her house to look through the comics she had there.
"It was kind of hard to wrap my head around it," Allen said.

Rorrer said he remembers his aunt making only a fleeting reference to the comics when she learned that he and his brother liked comic books. He said his great uncle never mentioned his collection.

Allen, who called the collection "jaw-dropping," noted that Wright "seemed to have a knack" for picking up the ones that would be the most valuable. The core of his collection is from 1938 to 1941.

Hernandez said it makes sense that her uncle — even as a boy — had a discerning eye. The man who went to The College of William and Mary before having a long career as a chemical engineer for DuPont was smart, she said. And, she added, Wright was an only child whose mother kept most everything he had. She said that they found games from the 1930s that were still in their original boxes.
___
On the Net:
Heritage Auctions: http://www.ha.com
[Reply]
Buck 07:20 PM 03-11-2012
I picked up a new comic that just came out Wednesday. It's called The Manhattan Projects. It's a sci-fi comic and it's about how The Manhattan Project being about creating the atomic bomb was just a ruse for something even worse.

Its from Image and it's pretty good.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 08:30 PM 01-20-2022
Mickey Mouse comics by Casty.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Up