ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Nzoner's Game Room>NFL should switch to a 12 team, 16 week play-off format
BlackOp 12:54 PM 10-19-2021
This "one team gets a bye" format is lame...so I put together an experiment.

NFL should switch to a 16 game, 12 team play-off system...

Every division winner gets a bye and a home game...

Week 17 would essentially become eight elimination wild card games (teams 5-12)...three on Saturday, three on Sunday and two on Monday night

Week 18 would be the same format with the #1/2 seeds getting the four marque (normal) time slots at home.

Week 19 would have four games like the divisional rounds....

Week 20 would be championship weekend.

Essentially no team has only two playoff games... and only 6 teams have an extra game.

I like the idea of all division winners get a bye and a week to rest....right now there isn't much reward for winning your division.

This would make the season a lot more interesting for the middle of the road teams... and ones that got injured early or get "hot" late.
[Reply]
ljmhawk 01:00 PM 10-19-2021
no
[Reply]
BlackOp 01:03 PM 10-19-2021
Originally Posted by ljmhawk:
no
You dont think this would make the season more entertaining? Only one team getting a bye...seems anti-climactic.

The top 4 wild card teams would get HFA for their game..which would give them an incentive down the stretch.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 01:08 PM 10-19-2021
If the Chiefs are the only team to get the buy then it's good like it is.
[Reply]
ModSocks 01:08 PM 10-19-2021
Why would this matter in a scripted, rigged league? As you've pointed out, Reid and Spags would just throw the game (and thus the seeding) anyway....
[Reply]
DaFace 01:09 PM 10-19-2021

via GIPHY

[Reply]
wazu 01:10 PM 10-19-2021
Interesting idea. Wouldn't you want this to start in Week 19? Weeks 17 and 18 are still part of our current regular season. I'd also add that I think the NFL should start it's season in mid-August. Pushing further and further into February for a game that is mostly played outdoors makes no sense.
[Reply]
BlackOp 01:11 PM 10-19-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Why would this matter in a scripted, rigged league? As you've pointed out, Reid and Spags would just throw the game (and thus the seeding) anyway....
It's all about entertainment and keeping fans of as many teams engaged for as long as they can...this would do it.
[Reply]
BlackOp 01:13 PM 10-19-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:

via GIPHY

Why is this a bad idea...nothing really changes for the top teams...except they all get a bye.

It would keep the middle tier teams from resting their starters in a meaningless week 17...which is how it is now.

Let them fight to the death...elimination week-end.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 01:22 PM 10-19-2021
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
right now there isn't much reward for winning your division.
You are literally guaranteed a home playoff game for winning your division.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 01:23 PM 10-19-2021
You could be 4-13 and host a team that's 16-1 just because you won your division. How is that not much of a reward?
[Reply]
Hoover 01:29 PM 10-19-2021
Originally Posted by wazu:
Interesting idea. Wouldn't you want this to start in Week 19? Weeks 17 and 18 are still part of our current regular season. I'd also add that I think the NFL should start it's season in mid-August. Pushing further and further into February for a game that is mostly played outdoors makes no sense.
I'm actually fine with it, but they are not going to expand the season by a game to cut a week to have a new playoff format. The reason the NFL wants to get as deep into Feb as possible is there there is nothing else going on. I'm all for that.

I like this playoff format, but I'd also add a second bye week, which makes the it a 19 week season. Then your playoff format. They also should expand rosters, by being able to play anyone on your roster, and allow teams to have three QBs that don't count towards your 53 man roster.
[Reply]
BlackOp 01:33 PM 10-19-2021
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
You could be 4-13 and host a team that's 16-1 just because you won your division. How is that not much of a reward?
Division winners get a home game in the current format...nothing changes.

Every Division winner gets a bye...which I've always wanted.

Let teams get healthy....
[Reply]
BlackOp 01:36 PM 10-19-2021
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
You are literally guaranteed a home playoff game for winning your division.
You get a bye week...
[Reply]
jettio 01:44 PM 10-19-2021
I don't think Santa Claus will deliver on this unless the current NFL policy makers have been awful naughty and threadstarter has been especially nice.

But, on any given Sunday, that's why they play the games.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up