ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 39 of 44
« First < 293536373839 40414243 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>No Chris Jones at OTA's.
O.city 10:15 AM 05-21-2019

As expected, Chiefs DT Chris Jones has not reported for the start of OTAs this week, per a source.

— Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) May 21, 2019

[Reply]
O.city 09:23 AM 07-18-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I don’t think players want to take discount deals. Look at Chris Harris Jr. he did that for Horseface and now he’s paying for it. He’s only getting paid 1 year of elite money (this year).

He lost so much money taking one for the team and now he’s pissed.
Kelce did the same thing.

Signing early for guys that weren't high round picks that are making much gives them financial security while giving the team a little bit of a break.

That's on Harris for being pissed about it. He wasn't forced into signing anything.
[Reply]
O.city 09:25 AM 07-18-2019
If Fuller takes a lesser contract, it still might be an albatross.

The middle of the pack corner salary (I.e. 11th-14th highest) averages a $12 million cap hit. Is Fuller worth that? I sure as hell don’t think so.

It’s fine if he improves, but what if he doesn’t? That’s how GM’s get fired.
Fuller was really good outside last year, but struggled in the slot, with shit safeties behind him.

He was an elite slot defender in Washington, so i'm gonna say last year was a bit of an outlier.

But there's definitely risk in paying guys like that early, but that's where you get value. It's all about value.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:34 AM 07-18-2019
Originally Posted by Buckweath:
You get it! Some others seem not to understand.

You pay Fuller now, you have a chance to see him outperform his contract in the future.

Paying Chris Jones now or next year doesn't make a big difference with regard to how much you're going to pay him.

Even he he has a great year next year, his value will be rather similar. In other words, he has already broken out and there is no reason to think he won't sustain a good level of play (unlike Dee Ford for example).

That's not to say that Veach shouldn't pay Jones now BTW.
Did we not learn anything from the Eric Berry situation in 2017?

He was considerably more expensive after we waited, and it will only be worse for Jones.

A salary for Jones isn’t like a corner/safety. Secondary players get 2/3 of a DL/pass rushers salary. The disparity for Jones could be $3-4 million, which is very important when you have to pay Mahomes the biggest contract ever.

The cap his been rising a little over 6% every year the last 6 years. That means Aaron’s Donald’s average cap hit is now valued at $24 million.

I’d happily give Jones Frank Clark money. That would be right between Cox and Donald interns of value.
[Reply]
O.city 09:35 AM 07-18-2019
Why would you give Jones that deal now when you can have him for 3 years at like 42 mil?
[Reply]
BossChief 09:45 AM 07-18-2019
I don’t think players want to take discount deals. Look at Chris Harris Jr. he did that for Horseface and now he’s paying for it. He’s only getting paid 1 year of elite money (this year).

He lost so much money taking one for the team and now he’s pissed.
Nobody is taking discounted deals.

Nobody...with the rare exception of guys like Schwartz and possibly Mahomes.

Not with the cap rising like it has and the new CBA looming that will provide even more money for player contracts.

Guys like Hill, Jones, Fuller and Breeland will sign market $ deals or hit free agency and get paid.
[Reply]
BossChief 09:47 AM 07-18-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Why would you give Jones that deal now when you can have him for 3 years at like 42 mil?
Frank Clark $ for Jones right now would be a huge bargain.

The team only gets 1 franchise tag...and with the new CAbA coming up, I’m not sure there will be a franchise tag every year.
[Reply]
O.city 09:48 AM 07-18-2019
Originally Posted by BossChief:

The team only gets 1 franchise tag.
Who else they gonna tag?

If he wants Frank Clark money, he can play out this year and go from there.
[Reply]
BossChief 10:00 AM 07-18-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Who else they gonna tag?

If he wants Frank Clark money, he can play out this year and go from there.
Why wouldn’t you give an elite DT “very good $” and sign him early?

Imo it’s a huge mistake to not do so.

If Jones would sign a carbon copy of Clark’s deal, to me it’s a no brained to offer him that deal.

Jones has another similar year, his price is going to be higher than Aaron Donalds.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:01 AM 07-18-2019

The team only gets 1 franchise tag...and with the new CAbA coming up, I’m not sure there will be a franchise tag every year.
Yup. I don’t blame Players wanting to abolish the franchise tag. Chris Jones is the perfect example.

Dude was the best interior rusher in the conference last year. Definitely top 3 at that position and he won’t get paid. Now he might have to prove it another? Then he could have the franchise tag and have to prove it again a year after that?

That’s bad for players. It’s the NFL. An injury is statistically very likely to happen in a 2 year timeframe. Can’t keep dangling the carrot and thinking only 1 year of elite pay without the huge guaranteed money from an extension is gonna cut it.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:02 AM 07-18-2019
The Chiefs gain nothing by signing Jones today, he has to report this year, he also hasn't made enough money to sit out a tag next year....he's asking for a contract that is kinda crazy to be honest for a guy that is a bit of a 1 trick pony.

Jones actually can only hurt his value, if he goes out and gets 8 sacks this year you think his market is still the same?
[Reply]
O.city 10:13 AM 07-18-2019
Yup. I don’t blame Players wanting to abolish the franchise tag. Chris Jones is the perfect example.

Dude was the best interior rusher in the conference last year. Definitely top 3 at that position and he won’t get paid. Now he might have to prove it another? Then he could have the franchise tag and have to prove it again a year after that?

That’s bad for players. It’s the NFL. An injury is statistically very likely to happen in a 2 year timeframe. Can’t keep dangling the carrot and thinking only 1 year of elite pay without the huge guaranteed money from an extension is gonna cut it.
The players don't want to abolish the tag, or atleast it won't be gone. It's good for us fans for it to be there and it only effects a few players per year vs the majority.

He's on a four year deal. If he plays out his contract, he'll get a big payday. FFS, the tag is a monster deal.
[Reply]
BossChief 10:14 AM 07-18-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
The Chiefs gain nothing by signing Jones today, he has to report this year, he also hasn't made enough money to sit out a tag next year....he's asking for a contract that is kinda crazy to be honest for a guy that is a bit of a 1 trick pony.

Jones actually can only hurt his value, if he goes out and gets 8 sacks this year you think his market is still the same?
Jarrett from ATL just got 17m per after a career year of 6 sacks and a career total of 14 sacks.

If we can get Jones inked for 20, that’s a bargain.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:16 AM 07-18-2019
You do know we can't pay everyone right?
[Reply]
O.city 10:16 AM 07-18-2019
Why wouldn’t you give an elite DT “very good $” and sign him early?

Imo it’s a huge mistake to not do so.

If Jones would sign a carbon copy of Clark’s deal, to me it’s a no brained to offer him that deal.

Jones has another similar year, his price is going to be higher than Aaron Donalds.
He's an elite pass rushing DT that struggles against the run. If you wanna sign early, you're going to have to give the team a bit of a break.

Again, for the however many times, they currently have him under contract for 3 years at about 43 million. Why would you want to go over that on a guarantee at this point, especially if you have qualms about fit or the player?

You guys are getting too emotional over this.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he doesn't repeat his year numbers wise, which could actually mean he played a better all around game and he'll get paid.

In no world should he get more than Donald
[Reply]
O.city 10:18 AM 07-18-2019
Jarrett from ATL just got 17m per after a career year of 6 sacks and a career total of 14 sacks.

If we can get Jones inked for 20, that’s a bargain.
3 years 43 mil.

You want more, go prove it again.
[Reply]
Page 39 of 44
« First < 293536373839 40414243 > Last »
Up