ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 32 of 44
« First < 222829303132 3334353642 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>No Chris Jones at OTA's.
O.city 10:15 AM 05-21-2019

As expected, Chiefs DT Chris Jones has not reported for the start of OTAs this week, per a source.

— Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) May 21, 2019

[Reply]
O.city 10:29 AM 07-15-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Hope that Saunders steps up and Clark turns out to be worth what they're paying him.

That's why the Clark move is so spotty, IMO. It's not just the draft capital, it's the opportunity cost. If you lose Jones (or Hill or Fuller) because you can't afford to pay for all of 'em, then that has to be tossed onto the pile of assets you surrendered to bring Clark in here.

Bottom line is that Frank Clark has to be better than he's ever been to make this a good trade for the Chiefs. I just don't see that as being terribly likely but we shall see...
They think he's the 2nd best pass rusher in football. We're gonna find out.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 10:29 AM 07-15-2019
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
i think theres a chance they play jones then trade him next year on the tag and already have his replacement on the roster in khalen saunders. recoup some frank clark picks, save money, and get a more spags prototypical 3 tech.
Saunders and Jones are 2 different type players. Saunders is 6ft. Jones is 6'4" with arms that reach around the world. 2 totally different skill sets. DJ is right that we need to sign Jones early IF they think he IS THE MAN. For me, I take that chance because Jones is that unique freak type of player and with Spags coaching I think you will see former Sutton players really improve their game on this defense that will expose just how bad Sutton and his staff were. Jones is cheaper now no doubt and Jones was more consistent with his motor last year and it showed but his run stopping MUST improve and I think Spags will do this for him because Jones is very coachable.
[Reply]
RealSNR 10:35 AM 07-15-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
I don't know what they'll do with Mahomes. There's been some whispers that he may go shorter with more guarantees, I dunno what that means to be honest.

Similarly i'd like to see them get Fuller under a nice deal that could save some, similar to Kelce.

But in the end, if Jones wants more than they're willing to give, whats your options?
Whispers?

Source of these whispers? A Marty article?
[Reply]
O.city 10:37 AM 07-15-2019
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Whispers?

I don't remember exactly where I read it.

I'll try and find it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:42 AM 07-15-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
All Veach has to do is two things that will cure all no matter what happens with FA’s: draft well and find value.

Find good players in the draft and find value players like Albert Wilson, Austin Reiter, Andrew Wylie, etc and we’ll be good.

I think Veach did a nice job of that this Spring. We’ll see
With them already looking at layering O'Daniel and Speaks, not to mention the pile Watts is gonna have to fight through, the early returns on the '18 draft do little to inspire confidence.

And I'm not trying to bash him there (okay, not entirely - I'll bash the !@#$ out of him on Speaks), because I liked the O'Daniel and Watts pick a lot. But I'd better not be the bar he's looking to clear here because I have maybe 15-20 hours I can throw at the draft most years.

This is his job. And whether I liked a pick or not is ultimately immaterial - that pick needs to pan out. If McKenzie can turn into a viable starting G, for instance, that changes things. If Lee is just here for a season before we get 2 as a starting Will out of O'Daniel, that's huge. If Watts ends up playing so well he takes a starting job away from the presumptive starter (Lucas?), also great. If Speaks can turn into a quality sta...hahahaha!! Yeah, whatever fatso.

The book can still be written here, but some of their own actions suggest they aren't as comfortable with those picks as you'd like. And Thornhill/Saunders are picks I like a lot this year; Hardman and Fenton, not so much. It doesn't really matter though because those guys are gonna have to be contributors. If Hardman can make himself starting quality,for instance, you find a bunch of freed up space with Watkins. Or at least you don't have to re-sign Robinson.
[Reply]
O.city 10:49 AM 07-15-2019
I don't mind just throwing the numbers of talented players at spots and letting the chips fall where they may.

From a money standpoint, ideally, it's the draft picks that take said spots though.

I'm kinda wondering what they're gonna do at LB. They seem to have a shitload of the same type of player.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 10:55 AM 07-15-2019
[Verderame] "Kansas City and Chris Jones haven’t made any progress towards a new deal. The main hangup is guaranteed money. The Chiefs value Jones, but know they can hold his rights for three years at $42 million with this season and two franchise tags."

Better get on that Hill extension then.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:12 AM 07-15-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
[Verderame] "Kansas City and Chris Jones haven’t made any progress towards a new deal. The main hangup is guaranteed money. The Chiefs value Jones, but know they can hold his rights for three years at $42 million with this season and two franchise tags."

Better get on that Hill extension then.
THIS! They are not going to have to use the franchise tag on Mahomes. He’s going to get the biggest contract in NFL history. He seems happy with the Chiefs and Reid. Jones has no leverage. He’s going to sit out 3 years in the middle of his prime career? He’d never make that up.
[Reply]
Dante84 11:16 AM 07-15-2019
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Whispers?

A Martycle?
[Reply]
Dunerdr 11:49 AM 07-15-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink:
Saunders and Jones are 2 different type players. Saunders is 6ft. Jones is 6'4" with arms that reach around the world. 2 totally different skill sets. DJ is right that we need to sign Jones early IF they think he IS THE MAN. For me, I take that chance because Jones is that unique freak type of player and with Spags coaching I think you will see former Sutton players really improve their game on this defense that will expose just how bad Sutton and his staff were. Jones is cheaper now no doubt and Jones was more consistent with his motor last year and it showed but his run stopping MUST improve and I think Spags will do this for him because Jones is very coachable.
i dont disagree at all but with jones shedding pounds two off seasons in a row and looking like a freak edge rusher instead of a typical 3 tech i think its possible theyre heading in two different directions. and they drafted saunders after the 4/3 switch so its possible they see him as a better fit and have no intention to pay jones if they cant have him at cox type money.
[Reply]
kcclone 11:54 AM 07-15-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink:

This is nitpicking, but Jones is 6'6", not 6'4". He's listed at 6'6" on their website, and I've seen him up close and in person. He's at least a legit 6'5.5"
[Reply]
Dunerdr 12:21 PM 07-15-2019
Originally Posted by kcclone:
This is nitpicking, but Jones is 6'6", not 6'4". He's listed at 6'6" on their website, and I've seen him up close and in person. He's at least a legit 6'5.5"
and saunders is listed at 6'2"
[Reply]
O.city 02:53 PM 07-15-2019
Could they be planning to play Jones at DE instead of inside? Surely not, but at his height, will he just really physically ever be able to be a great run defender?
[Reply]
RunKC 03:08 PM 07-15-2019
Pay him now and have it be structured similarly to Frank Clark’s deal with a way out after 3 years.

Here is Clark’s savings (June 1st) for reference
Attached: 45644E02-176A-4D83-905A-54287BAB43DA.jpeg (190.8 KB) 
[Reply]
O.city 03:12 PM 07-15-2019
They're just not apparently ready to pay him over what this year and 2 tags is worth.

Something else may be goin on there that they don't like. Who knows.
[Reply]
Page 32 of 44
« First < 222829303132 3334353642 > Last »
Up