ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 30 of 63
« First < 202627282930 3132333440 > Last »
Media Center>CBS: Star Trek
keg in kc 03:47 PM 11-02-2015

Originally Posted by :
The Next Chapter of the Legendary “Star Trek” TV Franchise Will Premiere on the CBS Television Network, Then Move to CBS All Access Digital Subscription Service

Alex Kurtzman, Co-Writer and Producer of the Blockbuster Films

“Star Trek” and “Star Trek Into Darkness,” to Executive Produce

CBS Studios International to Distribute the Series Globally

For Television and Multiple Platforms

STUDIO CITY, CALIF. AND NEW YORK, N.Y. – Nov. 2, 2015 – CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new “Star Trek” television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the “Star Trek” franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous “Star Trek” television series.

The brand-new “Star Trek” will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new “Star Trek” TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films “Star Trek” (2009) with Roberto Orci, and “Star Trek Into Darkness” (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series SCORPION and LIMITLESS, along with Kadin and Orci, and for HAWAII FIVE-0 with Orci.

“Star Trek,” which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2016, is one of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time. The original “Star Trek” spawned a dozen feature films and five successful television series. Almost half a century later, the “Star Trek” television series are licensed on a variety of different platforms in more than 190 countries, and the franchise still generates more than a billion social media impressions every month.

Born from the mind of Gene Roddenberry, the original “Star Trek” series debuted on Sept. 8, 1966 and aired for three seasons – a short run that belied the influence it would have for generations. The series also broke new ground in storytelling and cultural mores, providing a progressive look at topics including race relations, global politics and the environment.

“There is no better time to give ‘Star Trek’ fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios. “Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.”

“This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run ‘Star Trek’ series has gone before – directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,” said Marc DeBevoise, Executive Vice President/General Manager – CBS Digital Media. “We’ve experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic ‘Star Trek,’ and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series.”

“Every day, an episode of the ‘Star Trek’ franchise is seen in almost every country in the world,” said Armando Nuñez, President and CEO, CBS Global Distribution Group. “We can’t wait to introduce ‘Star Trek’s’ next voyage on television to its vast global fan base.”

CBS All Access offers its customers more than 7,500 episodes from the current television season, previous seasons and classic shows on demand nationwide, as well as the ability to stream local CBS stations live in more than 110 markets. Subscribers can use the service online and across devices via CBS.com, the CBS App for iOS, Android and Windows 10, as well as on connected devices such as Apple TV, Android TV, Chromecast, Roku players and Roku TV, with more connected devices to come.

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film “Star Trek Beyond,” which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016

[Reply]
Mennonite 05:05 PM 01-25-2018
Most of the good things about Trek came in spite of Roddenberry, imo. TOS is basically Forbidden Planet with a lot of cool shit added by people not named Roddenberry. TNG was fairly awful before he took a step back. The more the episodes hewed to his "ideals" the worse they were. I put ideals in quotes because he was also a huge hypocrite who did pretty much the opposite of everything he preached.

The pilot episode he did was fantastic, however. I do have to admit that.
[Reply]
Frazod 09:00 AM 01-29-2018
Spoiler!

Anyway, last night's episode was awesome. :-)
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:23 AM 01-29-2018
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Spoiler!

Anyway, last night's episode was awesome. :-)
That it was.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Frazod 11:28 AM 01-29-2018
Heh. I didn't really make the moon door connection. I did pick up on a bit of Die Hard feel between Lorca and Burnham. They actually confirmed that in the After Trek as well.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:37 AM 01-29-2018
One thing I'll miss is Tilly in
Spoiler!
Costuming is doing Ms. Wiseman no favors in trying to pass her off as a roughly ten years younger Starfleet cadet in her prime universe apparel and hairstyle.
[Reply]
Frazod 11:46 AM 01-29-2018
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
One thing I'll miss is Tilly in
Spoiler!
Costuming is doing Ms. Wiseman no favors in trying to pass her off as a roughly ten years younger Starfleet cadet in her prime universe apparel and hairstyle.
Yeah, she almost looked hot in the mirror costume with the long blonde hair. She does have a nice rack and that uniform showed it. But with the shitty curly red hair and the form-fitting uniform which very unflatteringly shows off her fat, she's just nasty.

Her character must be a shout out to socially awkward dumpy basement dwelling nerds everywhere.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:55 AM 01-29-2018
Yeah, she almost looked hot in the mirror costume with the long blonde hair. She does have a nice rack and that uniform showed it. But with the shitty curly red hair and the form-fitting uniform which very unflatteringly shows off her fat, she's just nasty.

Her character must be a shout out to socially awkward dumpy basement dwelling nerds everywhere.
It's the only SJW-ish pandering that drove me to eye rolls early on. It would have made more sense had Tilly not been a cadet and was instead a science professional drafted a la Stammets at an older age.

Q'ing myself here, but the only thing that bothers me about Stammets being gay is really cliche scenario as to how he and his man friend met. I get it- Star Trek does like to wink-and-nod with some metajokes (they made an intentional nu-Battlestar reference in the episode before the "break") and it makes sense that a character played by Anthony Rapp would have an affinity for the theater.

But come the fuck on: it's the 23rd century and the point of having diverse characters is to show that diverse people aren't fundamentally different from the "majority" culture enjoying the show. In 2017/2018 you're not gonna have a lot of heterosexual people -especially dudes- having an affinity for La Boheme or anything else haute culture for that matter. How hard would it have been to say "Oh, me and the Doctor started dating because it was the only way I could win against him off the basketball court" or throw in some activity that isn't typically associated with gay dudes?

Whatever though. Rapp's doing a great job with Stammets and I'm hoping the fact the show was finally so bold as to have a gay main character hasn't turned off people from the show.
[Reply]
Frazod 12:08 PM 01-29-2018
When it comes to the Stammets stuff, it's sort of like GOT - I just hold my nose and look away until it's over. Don't care for it, don't want to see it, but it's there and you just gotta deal with it. Although admittedly it's probably better than seeing Tilly naked. :-)

At least Stammets isn't nearly as annoying now as he was in the beginning. Reminded me of my old boss then. My old boss basically went through life needing to get his ass kicked.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 03:40 PM 01-29-2018
While the series continues to bounce around in a schizophrenic way I did enjoy every episode since the return very much.

Still wish this was set a generation after TNG. Could have explained different looking Klingons, why the Klingons were so aggressive now, all the new technology, the spore drive, etc., etc., etc. So far I haven't seen anything other than a few fan service elements (Sarak, Mudd) who could have been easily explained as Sarak is the son/grandson of Spock or a clone or something. It doesnt' make me not enjoy the last few episodes, but just seems so obvious...
[Reply]
BigRedChief 01:09 AM 01-30-2018
These last two episodes were by far the best of the series. Looked like it was getting its feet under them and figuring out what show they are going to be.
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Lex Luthor 09:26 AM 01-31-2018
Why are you guys putting everything in spoiler tags? The episodes being discussed have already aired. By definition, these are not spoilers.

The spoiler Nazis are running amok. If you don't want to read plot details about episodes that have already aired, you should stay out of Internet discussions about the series. I got a couple of weeks behind recently, so I deliberately stayed out of this thread until I got caught up yesterday.

I'll go ahead and put my comments below in spoiler tags just to adhere to the apparent de facto standard of this thread, but it makes no sense to me at all.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 09:46 AM 01-31-2018
I'm sure the ones who are actively involved and/or make a living at Star Trek-related stuff will close ranks behind it whether they like it or not. Not going to bite the hand that feeds them. You might get an honest reaction from Shatner, assuming he even bothers to watch it, which I doubt.

And with all the gay shit in it, I'm sure Takei loves it.
Takei wasn't particularly happy with them making Sulu gay in the reboot.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:29 AM 02-01-2018
I'm with Lex. Fuck the spoilers. Its always been, if its aired, its fair game to talk openly.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:23 AM 02-01-2018
Originally Posted by Lex Luthor:
Why are you guys putting everything in spoiler tags? The episodes being discussed have already aired. By definition, these are not spoilers.

The spoiler Nazis are running amok. If you don't want to read plot details about episodes that have already aired, you should stay out of Internet discussions about the series. I got a couple of weeks behind recently, so I deliberately stayed out of this thread until I got caught up yesterday.

I'll go ahead and put my comments below in spoiler tags just to adhere to the apparent de facto standard of this thread, but it makes no sense to me at all.

Spoiler!
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Mennonite 07:39 PM 02-01-2018
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Page 30 of 63
« First < 202627282930 3132333440 > Last »
Up