ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 16 of 26
« First < 61213141516 17181920 > Last »
Media Center>Building a new PC
TambaBerry 06:12 PM 02-28-2023
Have a 3090 currently but am severely bottlenecked. Looking to get the best possible PC that I can build through microcenter in Kansas City. Looking for high end so like 13900k and ddr5 ram.
[Reply]
Pants 10:43 PM 05-04-2023
Originally Posted by Fish:
Nope, only their higher end models. And only works with Intel. :-)

Here's the list:

ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME GLACIAL
ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME
ROG MAXIMUS Z690 FORMULA
ROG MAXIMUS Z690 APEX
ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO
ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI
ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI
ROG STRIX Z690-G GAMING WIFI
ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4
ROG STRIX Z690-I GAMING WIFI
ProArt Z690-CREATOR WIFI
PRIME Z690-A

https://www.asus.com/Microsite/mothe...rclocking.html
Damn. I got a Prime Z790. Guess I'll just have to do it the old school way.
[Reply]
Fish 11:22 PM 05-04-2023
Originally Posted by Pants:
Damn. I got a Prime Z790. Guess I'll just have to do it the old school way.
If it's the -A version, I'm pretty sure it includes AIOC. Pretty sure I read that any Asus with a -A model has AIOC. Probably just haven't updated that webpage since the 790 lines came out.

EDIT: Confirmed, the Prime Z790-A has:

AI Motherboard: AI overclocking, AI cooling II and Two-way AI noise cancellation
[Reply]
Fish 01:48 AM 05-05-2023
M.2 speeds. Just bought this 1TB M.2 off Amazon for $40. Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B55TQMFJ 2TB is $79.99.

I'm getting 3420MB/s read, and 3135MB/s write. $40. Rare to see those kind of write speeds as close to read speeds with something so cheap. Comparable to Samsung 980.

Prices right now are crazy, and I'm still not sure why.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 10:56 AM 05-05-2023
M.2 speeds. Just bought this 1TB M.2 off Amazon for $40. Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B55TQMFJ 2TB is $79.99.

I'm getting 3420MB/s read, and 3135MB/s write. $40. Rare to see those kind of write speeds as close to read speeds with something so cheap. Comparable to Samsung 980.

Prices right now are crazy, and I'm still not sure why.
never mind, I swear I saw in the store the other day 7k read write
[Reply]
Pants 10:02 PM 05-05-2023
If it's the -A version, I'm pretty sure it includes AIOC. Pretty sure I read that any Asus with a -A model has AIOC. Probably just haven't updated that webpage since the 790 lines came out.

EDIT: Confirmed, the Prime Z790-A has:

AI Motherboard: AI overclocking, AI cooling II and Two-way AI noise cancellation
Mine is a P so no AI for me. It's okay.

Also, here's the obligatory everything is finally here pic.

[Reply]
Fish 11:37 PM 05-05-2023
Ahh, hell yeah. That thing will beast very soon. Which Lian Li case is that?

This should be very similar to your setup, skipping past the AI part:

[Reply]
Fish 11:47 PM 05-05-2023
And my system is just air cooled, I didn't bother with liquid cooling. You should be able to reach even higher Ghz once tweaked out...
[Reply]
Fish 11:53 PM 05-05-2023
Also FYI... if you have different manufacturers RGB in your system, you can control all of the most common ones with one app: https://signalrgb.com/ As long as you can get them all onto the same ARGB sensor/hub or daisy chained.

You can check to verify if your devices are supported. It's complicated to setup, and requires you to disable any existing RGB software from starting up automatically. But once you figure out how to make that work, it's really cool. It explains how to do the required steps for the most part. Works over a really wide range of manufacturers. Allows you to use free templates and tweak as you want, or create new. I have RGB from 3 separate manufacturers working in sync finally.
[Reply]
Pants 10:12 AM 05-06-2023
And my system is just air cooled, I didn't bother with liquid cooling. You should be able to reach even higher Ghz once tweaked out...
Honestly, air cooling works just as well. I am just going doing it mostly for symmetry and aesthetics and hopefully everything stays nice and cool and quiet even under load and with OC.

My case is the Lancool III. I really like the look of it and the reviews seems to be pretty good and it's Lian Li so I figure they know what they're doing. :-)
[Reply]
Fish 09:57 PM 05-06-2023
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
Didn't mean to imply that it's not interesting technology or not necessary for some people; it's in the primitive stages of development and requires a high end system to take advantage of it. Like a lot (most) hardware developments, the software is always lagging behind.

Perhaps because I'm an old guy, I appreciate the content of the movie over the fancy CGI. There's a lot of movies today that are what I would call beautiful garbage. I'm sure Dr. Strange 2 looks great in 4k; that doesn't change the fact that it was total garbage. Maybe Wanda looks better in 4k...

What exactly is a cheap system? it's possible to build a pretty strong gaming system for 1.5k or less.
Missed this. Ray tracing has actually been around in computer graphics since the 80s. Not really primitive. It's just until recently that GPU hardware has actually been capable of taking advantage of it. It's certainly not necessary. But it sure looks cool when your system is capable. Not trying to argue that quality makes up for a shitty movie. Sparkly shit is still shit. But gaming with ray tracing is a really unique experience. Hearing people say it's unnecessary and people should turn it off for performance reasons just makes me sad.

"Cheap system" is highly debatable. The range at which people justify spending on computer gaming equipment varies to a huge degree. But right now, you can build a really nice system capable of high end 1080p gaming, or mid to upper end 1440p gaming, for ~$750-1000. There are many corners your can shave depending on priorities. $1.5K would make a really strong system at the moment.
[Reply]
Fish 10:20 PM 05-06-2023
Originally Posted by Pants:
Honestly, air cooling works just as well. I am just going doing it mostly for symmetry and aesthetics and hopefully everything stays nice and cool and quiet even under load and with OC.

My case is the Lancool III. I really like the look of it and the reviews seems to be pretty good and it's Lian Li so I figure they know what they're doing. :-)
I've always had really good luck with air cooling to be honest. Admittedly AIO generally looks a lot better for sure. This time I went with this: https://www.deepcool.com/products/Co...22/16082.shtml

I have to say, I've been surprisingly impressed by the performance to far. My CPU never dips below 5.1Ghz, and has barely topped 60C yet. Maintains at 5.1-5.4 during the majority of usage including gaming. I upgraded my case fans at the same time, and finally got some decent quality case fans for a change. It's made a huge difference in thermals. I prioritized good airflow this time, and my temps have been incredible even with this power hungry Intel. Same computer case, but easy 15-25 degree difference during usage. 72C is the highest I've seen the GPU under any loads outside of super heavy stress tests. Now when gaming, I'm well under 70 on GPU and under 50 on CPU. My previous setup struggled with heat when overclocked. Which was my only real need for upgrade.
[Reply]
Fish 12:25 AM 05-07-2023
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
are there any performance benefits to windows 11?
You are using a 12th gen Intel processor, so yes. Windows 11 supports specific support for Intel processors that have individual performance and efficiency cores, like yours. Win11 would absolutely benefit your CPU and improve performance.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 07:51 AM 05-07-2023
Missed this. Ray tracing has actually been around in computer graphics since the 80s. Not really primitive. It's just until recently that GPU hardware has actually been capable of taking advantage of it. It's certainly not necessary. But it sure looks cool when your system is capable. Not trying to argue that quality makes up for a shitty movie. Sparkly shit is still shit. But gaming with ray tracing is a really unique experience. Hearing people say it's unnecessary and people should turn it off for performance reasons just makes me sad.

"Cheap system" is highly debatable. The range at which people justify spending on computer gaming equipment varies to a huge degree. But right now, you can build a really nice system capable of high end 1080p gaming, or mid to upper end 1440p gaming, for ~$750-1000. There are many corners your can shave depending on priorities. $1.5K would make a really strong system at the moment.
Yeah, I wrote some programs back then in college showing the concepts of ray tracing; a single scene took many hours to render. I remember getting my first 3dfx card; it was stunning compared to everything else at the time.

My only point is that, for myself, the novelty all of the fancy visuals and eye candy wears off. And that software always lags behind the hardware; like writing code for multi-processor systems, it takes a different mindset to ensure the cores can work independently. For a graphics card with 1000s of processors, that task is larger.

It will continue to get better and within the next few years, I believe that a home computer will be able to make professional level video with 100% computer graphics instead of using actors.

I remember something said about computers a long time ago:

$2500 will buy you a top of the line system.

This was true for 8086, 80286, 80386, 80486, etc. And will continue to be true as systems continue to advance.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 08:37 PM 05-07-2023
Stuck between the 7800x3d or the 13900k
[Reply]
jd1020 08:40 PM 05-07-2023
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
Stuck between the 7800x3d or the 13900k
Are you just gaming? 7800x3D is going to be better for gaming for $100 less along with the socket being supported til 2025.
[Reply]
Page 16 of 26
« First < 61213141516 17181920 > Last »
Up