ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 10
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Is it time for Mike Tomlin to step aside?
scho63 11:26 AM 01-20-2022
No doubt Mike Tomlin has been a great coach and got a lot from his teams over the years.

Now with Big Ben gone, a major rebuilding needed should he ride off into the sunset or look to go to a team that may be missing just a piece or two?

I think he could be a better fit now on other teams.

The Cowboys, Broncos and Raiders come to mind.

Am I being foolish?

Pittsburgh has so many holes it could be 3-4 years of subpar football.

What do you say?
[Reply]
Titty Meat 12:47 PM 01-20-2022
No. The Steelers are one of the best organizations in sports
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:54 PM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by CatfishBob2:
He definitely didn't have a Tom Brady in his division for 10 years lol
To some degree he WAS the Tom Brady of his division.

The Browns and Bengals and their array of awful QBs, plus the Ravens. And Flacco was decent for a fair amount of time but really that's it. By the time Jackson was a thing, Ben was in sharp decline.

During Ben's prime years, Joe Flacco was his only real competition in the division. And he averaged right at 11 wins/season over that period w/ a 3-5 playoff record.

That ain't exactly a sterling resume for a team that had the talent the Steelers routinely trotted out there.
[Reply]
Marcellus 12:55 PM 01-20-2022
Is OP day drinking again?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:56 PM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Any other team might be tempted. The Steelers, like you said previously, are notoriously patient with their coaches.
Almost to the point of ambivalent.

A lot of damn good coaches in this league have had gotten fired for having 10 year stretches of relative underperformance like Tomlin has. Now what's worth noting is that most of those teams regretted it.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 12:57 PM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
The time for Tomlin to step aside was when he was blocking the path of that kick returner a few years back.
God dang it, I came here to make this joke.
[Reply]
TEX 12:57 PM 01-20-2022
Mike Tomlin or Andy Reid?
Next Deberg thread...
[Reply]
CatfishBob2 01:00 PM 01-20-2022
I would say Big Ben hasn't been in his prime in 4 or 5 years. What owner would can his head coach who can still sniff the playoffs with DUCK hodges?

Name an HC with similar resume? Fired or not
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:15 PM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by CatfishBob2:
I would say Big Ben hasn't been in his prime in 4 or 5 years. What owner would can his head coach who can still sniff the playoffs with DUCK hodges?

Name an HC with similar resume? Fired or not
Again, Marty got fired for doing more with less.

13-3 with Steve Bono is a damn miracle. And he never had anything near the complementary talent on his rosters that Tomlin had.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 01:15 PM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Tomlin needs better coordinators.

I think he's an excellent motivator and seems fairly well organized. He appears to get the respect of his players and does most of those CEO responsibilities well.

I just don't think he's any kind of tactical mastermind, be it offense or defense. He's the kind of HC I think Dave Toub would amount to if he ever got a shot at it.

He needs to be surrounded by creative coordinators that can fill in some of his tactical deficiencies. And I believe Tomlin is now 1 season away from passing Cowher in games coached for them. It just doesn't seem like he's truly been around that long.

And y'know what? As much as I believe Tomlin has a clear ceiling, it's a LOT easier to find good coordinators than it is to find a coach that does the things well that Tomlin does.

So keep hunting for new coordinators and of course a new QB.

It's still completely crazy to me that the Steelers have had 3 head coaches in the last 50+ years.
As much as I dislike them, that organization is the very definition of consistency. And it has worked out fairly well for them.

I've never liked today's "bring it all together in 2-3 years or else" sports world. Of course at the same time, I don't care to revisit a 5 year plan continually extended. The Steelers seem to have found a balance there. Of course, it helps when you actually bring in the right people to lead, which admittedly, is easier said than done.
[Reply]
RealSNR 01:17 PM 01-20-2022

It's still completely crazy to me that the Steelers have had 3 head coaches in the last 50+ years.
I heard this crazy factoid the other day which is a complete contrast to the Steelers organization:

In the entire history of the Cardinals, whether they were the Arizona, Phoenix, St. Louis, or Chicago Cardinals, they've never had a head coach who went longer than 5 seasons.

Yeah, and they're one of the NFL's oldest franchises.
[Reply]
Hoover 01:18 PM 01-20-2022
Tomlin needs better coordinators.

I think he's an excellent motivator and seems fairly well organized. He appears to get the respect of his players and does most of those CEO responsibilities well.

I just don't think he's any kind of tactical mastermind, be it offense or defense. He's the kind of HC I think Dave Toub would amount to if he ever got a shot at it.

He needs to be surrounded by creative coordinators that can fill in some of his tactical deficiencies. And I believe Tomlin is now 1 season away from passing Cowher in games coached for them. It just doesn't seem like he's truly been around that long.

And y'know what? As much as I believe Tomlin has a clear ceiling, it's a LOT easier to find good coordinators than it is to find a coach that does the things well that Tomlin does.

So keep hunting for new coordinators and of course a new QB.

This is spot on.
[Reply]
tredadda 01:18 PM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Any other team might be tempted. The Steelers, like you said previously, are notoriously patient with their coaches.
Exactly. They are not a knee jerk kind of franchise. It's why they are a model of consistency over the past 50 years.
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:19 PM 01-20-2022
Again, Marty got fired for doing more with less.

13-3 with Steve Bono is a damn miracle. And he never had anything near the complementary talent on his rosters that Tomlin had.
Marty resigned in KC.

Now his firing in San Diego was criminal after going 14-2.
[Reply]
tredadda 01:20 PM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Marty resigned in KC.

Now his firing in San Diego was criminal after going 14-2.
Yup. It's why the Chargers can't have nice things.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 01:20 PM 01-20-2022
What are the Packers gonna give up to pry those guys out of Pittsburgh?
What are the Packers going to do to bring Aaron Rodgers back next year would be an equally relevant question here.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 10
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up