ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Nzoner's Game Room>LNBS: Calling options / Adding reverse action downfield
Dante84 10:23 PM 12-17-2018
Offense in the NFL is evolving rapidly, and outpacing Defense at a record pace.

Watching the close games the past few weeks, I’ve seen two “hook and lateral” plays, and it got me thinking:

If you can predict with a reasonable degree of certainty what the safety or corner will do in a particular coverage, you should be able to determine what they will do post-completion as they track towards the ballcarrier. At this point, you could anticipate - and plan for - where the next pocket of space will open up.

For so long it’s been a one hit approach: find the open man, and he runs in space until he scores, gets tackled, or goes out of bounds.

What if it was a combo approach? Find the open man, gain yards, and provide him with an option to lateral to a crossing receiver who should be able to get another chunk.

You see this with rugby runs all the time. Why not more often in football?
[Reply]
OlineDline 08:10 AM 12-18-2018
Reason #1: The defenders don't have to stay behind the ball as they do in rugby. There is always the chance of a defender on the pitch man, making it beyond risky.

Reason #2: Pitching the ball MUST be practiced if used regularly. If it's a gadget play, you rep it a few times per week and save it for The Alamo. If you're going to do it a lot, you must practice it a lot. Juice and squeeze ratios must be met, which they wouldn't be in this scenario.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 08:24 AM 12-18-2018
I've actually been thinking for sometime with our talent there should always be a second receiver when possible coming over for a lateral off the primary receiver.
[Reply]
MahiMike 10:04 AM 12-18-2018
What I want to know is, what happened to all the pre snap confusion on offense? We look too vanilla lately
[Reply]
loochy 10:11 AM 12-18-2018
Originally Posted by MahiMike:
What I want to know is, what happened to all the pre snap confusion on offense? We look too vanilla lately
I've noticed a rash of false starts and illegal motion/formations lately. Maybe the mental retardation of the defense rubbed off on the offense?
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Molitoth 11:36 AM 12-18-2018
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
It doesnt happen because it's really fucking dumb.
These are the kind of non-forward thinking opinions that coaches like Bob Sutton use before they become a fucking fossil.

I take it No-look passes are fucking dumb?
Oh, I know... how about drafting an NFL QB with a baseball background and not touching his throwing mechanics.... is that fucking dumb?
[Reply]
OlineDline 01:05 PM 12-18-2018
Originally Posted by Molitoth:
These are the kind of non-forward thinking opinions that coaches like Bob Sutton use before they become a ****ing fossil.

I take it No-look passes are ****ing dumb?
Oh, I know... how about drafting an NFL QB with a baseball background and not touching his throwing mechanics.... is that ****ing dumb?
This doesn't mean that any idea is necessarily a good one, nor that it should be tried to prove it.

You really want to turn a nice downfield completion into a turnover.

Yes, that's fucking dumb. You do that when there are no options, or as a gadget play.
[Reply]
Molitoth 01:13 PM 12-18-2018
Originally Posted by OlineDline:
This doesn't mean that any idea is necessarily a good one, nor that it should be tried to prove it.

You really want to turn a nice downfield completion into a turnover.

Yes, that's fucking dumb. You do that when there are no options, or as a gadget play.
WHY would this always be a turnover?

It's 1946 and the Chicago Cardinals are like.... "Gee, ya know... everytime we pass the ball we could have an interception... lets just run the ball everytime."

You know when you practice consistently, you typically get good at it?

It's why today we have a passing league, and not a run dominant league. Teams thought outside the box, and they practiced.

PS: Elon Musk will NEVER have a self landing rocket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Reply]
CaliforniaChief 01:22 PM 12-18-2018
Maybe Andy will unveil it in the playoffs, along with an 8-man defense to confuse the QB. Hell, we're basically running 8 functional guys out there as it is.
[Reply]
OlineDline 01:25 PM 12-18-2018
Originally Posted by Molitoth:
WHY would this always be a turnover?

It's 1946 and the Chicago Cardinals are like.... "Gee, ya know... everytime we pass the ball we could have an interception... lets just run the ball everytime."

You know when you practice consistently, you typically get good at it?

It's why today we have a passing league, and not a run dominant league. Teams thought outside the box, and they practiced.

PS: Elon Musk will NEVER have a self landing rocket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First, "outside the box" is not as outside as you think.

Almost everything that's "new" is just recycled old. Hell, RPO isn't new.

Now, running twelve downfield laterals per game, that'd be new.

Sure. Please do. I think you'd have great success with it until you didn't.

I'd also review how logic works. You see, skepticism doesn't make an idea true, simply because other, unrelated ideas were proven true in spite of skepticism.

People were skeptical of using leeches to cure foul humours in the blood....

I think the downfield lateral idea is similar to that.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 01:26 PM 12-18-2018
I used to run it all the time in Madden 96
[Reply]
lcarus 01:49 PM 12-18-2018
Contact after downfield completions occurs too quick typically to attempt it. You could draw some stuff up for short routes for when the defense is playing deep I guess but then every team has plays for that and they only use it when they're desperate at the end of half or 4th quarter. And you see how those plays typically work out...

This reminds me. When we had 4 seconds left I was hoping our offense would get a chance. Yes they squibbed it right down the middle but hell they could have told the returner to quickly throw it out of bounds slightly behind them or run out if possible. I wanted to see Mahomes try to throw a 75 yard hail mary lol.
[Reply]
OlineDline 01:51 PM 12-18-2018
Originally Posted by lcarus:
Contact after downfield completions occurs too quick typically to attempt it. You could draw some stuff up for short routes for when the defense is playing deep I guess but then every team has plays for that and they only use it when they're desperate at the end of half or 4th quarter. And you see how those plays typically work out...

This reminds me. When we had 4 seconds left I was hoping our offense would get a chance. Yes they squibbed it right down the middle but hell they could have told the returner to quickly throw it out of bounds slightly behind them or run out if possible. I wanted to see Mahomes try to throw a 75 yard hail mary lol.
He could have just taken a knee and used zero seconds. Do not know what that didn't happen.
[Reply]
lcarus 01:54 PM 12-18-2018
He could have just taken a knee and used zero seconds. Do not know what that didn't happen.
Yeah you're right. A knee would've worked too. I guess they figured a return was their best shot. I would've said to let the offense get the final play. Who knows you might get a penalty and have a shot at a game winning FG.
[Reply]
OlineDline 01:56 PM 12-18-2018
Originally Posted by lcarus:
Yeah you're right. A knee would've worked too. I guess they figured a return was their best shot. I would've said to let the offense get the final play. Who knows you might get a penalty and have a shot at a game winning FG.
Better odds than a multi-lateral kick return UNLESS the offense doesn't have that gadget and KR does. Judging by what I saw, the KR unit didn't have one.
[Reply]
lcarus 02:00 PM 12-18-2018
Better odds than a multi-lateral kick return UNLESS the offense doesn't have that gadget and KR does. Judging by what I saw, the KR unit didn't have one.
It was our version of the Music City Miracle. The Kansas City Pitiful.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Up